Yet another venting question(s)....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popart

Reaction score
I'm setting up my grow tent (4'x4'x6.5') with a 400w hps 6" aircooled light, I have a bit of diy experience, but have never ran ductwork of any kind. So this is what I'm thinking, passive intake - so I'll run some flexible duct from the light to the tent hole. Here's the question: I want to run a fan (either an inline fan $29, or a bathroom fan setup $15 home depot) I will run the flexy duct from the outlet of the light to the tent hole -- I'm thinking I'll vent into the room right now -- I have a large upstairs (5bedroom) with 9' ceilings, and I have windows with cool air coming in, so I'm going to try this first. But do I need to put some rigid duct on the outside to put an inline fan in? or do I use the bathroom fan and attach it right to the tent hole? if that's even possible. Or can I run an inline fan in the flexy duct? Do you have to use the flanges from the hydro store to run the duct out of the tent? and if so, how do you attach it? my tent seems like it has little holes that line up with the flange - but not sure how to do it... Any help is much appreciated as my boyfriend is out of town and I really don't want to burn my house down!!!!

OK you don't need to run the first duct into the light, you can just leave the bottom intake of your tent open. I would get a better fan then a home depot one. you'll want 160CFM or so for that space. You can then run a duct from your light to the inline fan then out of the box at the top. It will then be sucking air through your box, through the light and then out the top.

Furthermore 400W is only good for 3'x3' of so. You want a 600W for 4'x4'.

LOL--we don't really care what the fans cost--what is the CFMs?

I'm with Trafic, you are going to need far more than cheap home depot fans to cool and ventilate your space. IMO, you should be exchanging the air in your space 3-4 times a minute. This means a fan capable of moving 424 cubic feet a minute. You will also need a fan speed controller. You will probably need to plan on spending a couple hundred dollars to cool/vent your tent properly.

UPDATE: the $30 home depot fan is 188cfm, so if my grow tent is 104 sq. ft. - then this would be more than adequate, right? If I use the other formula I've seen HxWxL /5 -- is 20.8 - so where is my math f**cked up? And, do I need a fan pulling air into the tent? or can I use a passive intake? do I want a "squirrel cage" type blower or an inline fan?

I like to exchange the air in my closet 3-4 times a minute. I have a space not much larger than yours 3 x 6.5 x 7.5 (approx 150 cu ft) and I have a 6" 449 cfm and a 180cfm and a 220cfm in the space...

Latest posts

Back