tent holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain23

Reaction score
hey guys as some know im new to this journey.. but i got a tent 4"x2"x80" it came with only 1 vent on the bottom end its 6"x12" or so. my question is i wanna run exhaust, i was think i can have one hole to exit air out and one to bring in fresh? now i was thinking i can run the exit air out the window to the ouside , and the intake from the outside as well..does tht sound right and do i need a fan for the intake air also? and if i do this setup do i still use the vent tht it already there? also where can i find specs. of wht fan should be moving air in n out etc.? any insight will be great .thx#420

Are you going to have to make you intake and exit holes? They way I read it was you only have a vent
yes i have to make them.. i only have the one vent6x12in. so i was seeing if is what i should do, is make 2 holes 1 for intake and the other out take,?

You running photo or auto flowering?
If I was running auto flowering I would think you could get away with 1 hole.
I wouldn’t use one hole If you are running photo plants. The vent would let light in and would keep the photo plants from flowering when switched to 12-12. Unless it is in a closet that is 100 percent dark during the 12/12 light cycle. I’m new to a tent and trying to get through my first grow in it one so I may be wrong but it is my 2 cents.

You running photo or auto flowering?
If I was running auto flowering I would think you could get away with 1 hole.
I wouldn’t use one hole If you are running photo plants. The vent would let light in and would keep the photo plants from flowering when switched to 12-12. Unless it is in a closet that is 100 percent dark during the 12/12 light cycle. I’m new to a tent and trying to get through my first grow in it one so I may be wrong but it is my 2 cents.
yea tht sounds good to me and im very new too.. but thx for the help..

If your tent has a vent on the bottom and you are in your home, just add a small fan to the outside if the tent to assist your homes air into the tent. if you have NO other holes in your tent, if it were me, I would cut a fking hole in the top and use an exhaust fan to suck the hot air out, then you can duct it to your window or outdoors.
Like @pute said, there should be more than 1 vent. A tent that size should have 3-4 vents, or holes for plug wires.
The objective is to get fresh air in low, and hot air out high. Let us know how you make out. Maybe some pictures would suffice?

Unless it's not a grow tent.
Maybe. The 6x12 opening being there only confuses me. First tool I would grab, LOL.
knife.jpg

If it isn’t a grow tent, it probably isn’t opaque which will be a problem during flower. Do you have a picture?

If your tent has a vent on the bottom and you are in your home, just add a small fan to the outside if the tent to assist your homes air into the tent. if you have NO other holes in your tent, if it were me, I would cut a fking hole in the top and use an exhaust fan to suck the hot air out, then you can duct it to your window or outdoors.
Like @pute said, there should be more than 1 vent. A tent that size should have 3-4 vents, or holes for plug wires.
The objective is to get fresh air in low, and hot air out high. Let us know how you make out. Maybe some pictures would suffice?
right like i just said to pute is its a DIY so i can put holes where i want.. so that what i was asking if i was basically doing it right by having my fan exhausted to the outside and then have the intake coming from the outside also, and do i use a fan to pull the air in or just let it flow natural?

I would look at pictures of actual grow tents to get an idea of where to put an exhaust vent hole and a fresh air intake hole(usually the exhaust vent hole is at the top of one wall and the fresh air intake is a the bottom of a wall opposite the exhaust hole to get a cross draft). You will need an exhaust fan to push out warm ‘spent’ air and draw in fresh cooler air. Venting the exhaust outside is a good idea but it will exhaust the odor into your neighborhood unless you have a carbon filter to scrub the odor. Is you DIY tent light tight? Any light leaks can delay flowering or worse, cause the plant to hermie.

I would look at pictures of actual grow tents to get an idea of where to put an exhaust vent hole and a fresh air intake hole(usually the exhaust vent hole is at the top of one wall and the fresh air intake is a the bottom of a wall opposite the exhaust hole to get a cross draft). You will need an exhaust fan to push out warm ‘spent’ air and draw in fresh cooler air. Venting the exhaust outside is a good idea but it will exhaust the odor into your neighborhood unless you have a carbon filter to scrub the odor. Is you DIY tent light tight? Any light leaks can delay flowering or worse, cause the plant to hermie.
yes i have looked at alot of others and i wanted to make sure i was going to do it right before i cut the hole .. the way u said it was the way i was thinking, the top on 1 wall is exhaust and the other 1 on the bottom of other wall is the intake,now do i need a fan fo the intake also? and since i have a vent on the bottom already would i still need he intake hole? and i have a carbon filter etc.and will get any thing else i need thx

yes i have looked at alot of others and i wanted to make sure i was going to do it right before i cut the hole .. the way u said it was the way i was thinking, the top on 1 wall is exhaust and the other 1 on the bottom of other wall is the intake,now do i need a fan fo the intake also? and since i have a vent on the bottom already would i still need he intake hole? and i have a carbon filter etc.and will get any thing else i need thx
Both holes need to be light tight. If you can fashion a rectangular light baffle for the existing intake hole, that should work. No need for a fan on the intake hole. The exhaust fan will pull in air from the path of least resistance(your intake hole). I would not recommend pulling air in from outside your house as the temperatures will be easier to regulate if your grow room temps are more consistent than the outdoor temperatures. Look up light baffling and I am sure you can fashion something that will work. Round holes are easy for me where I use 4” dryer vent hose and I can position it in a kind of helix so light can’t get in but there are other(probably better) options. I am just a cheapskate.😁

You can add a 200-350m3h fan for exhaust maybe 400 to the upper part of your tent with a plastic flange or just a hole. I think a 400m3h fan is enough to blow all the hot air outside and pull fresh air inside from the lower hole.

Never heard of a DIY grow tent. How weird. One fking hole😳
Grow tent holes are reinforced to keep them from tearing. How you going to do that?

Latest posts

Back