Can an Auto be fimmed and LSTed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongofury

Need a light?
Reaction score
I read 6 pages of the auto sticky and didn't find the answer to my questions.

Can you fim and LST an auto plant? I have a few freeby auto's I would like to start soon.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ask this question in the sticky. I goofed.

I haven't personally grown autos, but for logical reasons, I would say it isn't a good idea. LST, might not be an issue, but I definitely wouldnt top or fim. Auto's life span is so short, the recovery time would do more harm than good, I would think

Lst yes... FIM or actually Topping is a bad idea IMO.

Thanks for the replies my friends. I will proceed as directed. :aok:

Good luck bongo, i have no idea. Only grew them once. Enjoy!

what are you growing? I grew a lot of them for fun so I can help ya out a bit. do not fim them at all, and if you LST them try to keep everythin even from side to side. the auto don't grow the same robust root system as a photo. I tried scrogging one and all it did was push the whole plant over breaking roots which caused a big loss in my normal harvest. they are very finicky. do nothing at all that will stress them out. they are kinda fun to grow to try to get that " perfect " grow. lol. don't expect a big yield. the best I got was just shy of 4 ounces. have fun.

what are you growing? I grew a lot of them for fun so I can help ya out a bit. do not fim them at all, and if you LST them try to keep everythin even from side to side. the auto don't grow the same robust root system as a photo. I tried scrogging one and all it did was push the whole plant over breaking roots which caused a big loss in my normal harvest. they are very finicky. do nothing at all that will stress them out. they are kinda fun to grow to try to get that " perfect " grow. lol. don't expect a big yield. the best I got was just shy of 4 ounces. have fun.

4 ounces per plant? I have 1 seed Auto Lemon Fem. and 1 seed Auto Critical Fem. Not planted yet. Thanks for the help hippy59.

Just shy of 4 ozs is a good yield for any plant. Hippy, do you have a pic of this? What strain was it?

it was vast and fast and it was some time ago. there are pics at some site but I don't recall which one. myself and 2 others had a kind of growoff with the same strain. I did something like 10 grows staright with those. I remember 1 bud was so big we called it the beer can bud. and keep in mind I said that was my BEST. usually I got from half an ounce to 3 ounces. autos are very sensitive to ANY stress what so ever. ANY stress will screw you on yield. but it was still fun. I have not grown eather of what your growing.

4 ounces,,,,thats a big *** Auto. Wow
I grew a few and was lucky to get an ounce. Was funny as hell though. Once I had one that didnt get but about 8" high and was all bud. Laughed my *** off. I did it in a small bubbler I used for clones just for fun. TCVG sent the beans to me,,they were f2 Lowryders.

I am currently in the homestretch with 3 blueberry and 2 carmeliscious auto's and I personally treated these as I would a photoperiod plant...I even did a little defoliating of fan leaves. Mainly because I have them under T5 lighting (8 bulb fixture using 4 grow and 4 bloom bulbs). Everything is going great. I even have a dwarf pheno that has more flowers than plant....lol...there is a picture in my thread in this forum.
Hushpuppy grew an OG Kush auto that yielded 4.8 oz and I believe he fimmed...but you'll have to ask him to be sure.....
Green Mojo!!!

Last edited:
Yeah,,,Auto strains have come along way since the Original Lowryders. Course I was just mess assing around. Lol

Hopper......totally agree. Although I never dealt with autoflowers until now I hear that in they're early days if you sneeze wrong in your grow room it would cause you problems! lmao
Trying to get the perfect nutrient regimen with autoflowers is a challenge. There's a point where the plant can use nitrogen and she's flowering at the same time. One of my friends autos started flowering 4 days after it was transplanted from a solo cup into a 3 gallon pot. At that time it was 8" tall and had just grown its third set of leaves. That plant ended up 34 inches tall. You never know what you might run into.... not something I'm going to do on a regular basis lol. However if I could assure myself a dozen of the little blueberry dwarf plants I have I might reconsider because they are as easy as taking care of your poinsettia at Christmas time lol.....I see it as "bonus" bud.....:joint4:

The total yield may or may not suffer from topping or fimming...but if your yield is most important then growing photos from clone doesn't take much longer.

Yeah the last auto I did, you can see in my journal. It was Humboldt's OG Kush auto. I vegged it in strong veg lighting under 24hrs rather than 20/4 or 18/6 and I did do some fim and SC a little. I did all this as an experiment to see what would happen. When it reached sexual maturity, I changed the lighting to 20/4 but instead of having a straight 4hrs of darkness, I set it so that the off time was split up into 1hr increments.

I ended up getting about 4.8oz of really, really good bud. I am keeping it as my own head (and back) stash. The potency is very good and the flavor is very good. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I have done these few methods on the last 3 autos that I have grown and I have had good results from them. However, I would say if you decide to use these methods on your autos, proceed at your own risk because while it worked great for me, it likely will not work great for every auto going forward.

Latest posts

Back