Project Mothership: The Three Sisters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

seeker
Reaction score
Project Mothership:
The Three Sisters
a photo-journalistic exposition
posted by R. Bearfoot
Wednesday or Thursday: 2/21 or so...the Moon had been speaking to me for several days, not speaking but interjecting into the strange, spaced out internal dialog and madness that been ensuing ever since coming into a large, dank sack of outdoor grown somewhere in the wilds of New York, by a Wizard of whom these tales tell not.
A dense, pungent, sweet sinsemilla it is. Very, very spacey, before a nearly equally strong stone sets in later. So, I've been warping further and further into this space, of which I haven't yet found a ceiling with, to the point of which the stone just pretty much knocks me out. The first week was mostly...lost....until we learned to limit this space weed to one or two small bowls at a time, or be prepared to be pretty much useless for a while. :)
And then it happens!
and the seeds appear, via http://highgrade-seeds.com/seedlist.html
and through some shipping SNAFU, double the number of seeds. :eek: :holysheep:
And so, the seeds were placed in the mightiest mojo box/container type object I possess, and left by a window to absorb as much Lunar rays as possible, on the night before the Full Moon. The next night, 15 of the magic beans were planted, at 1:11 AM (or so) after the full eclipse.
So we have these Three:
Purple Cindy: a mostly sativa plant of considerable genetics. I picked this strain because a) I definetly wanted a sativa to work with and b) this is a new strain on the site, and I figured those would likely be newer seeds.
Blueberry: the reason I decided to buy seeds! Bagseed plants are fantastic! If anything, underrated. But you won't get a Blueberry out of the bunch. That kind of genetic wizardry pretty much requires either seed or clone. I have experienced BB twice, both times at parties. I look forward to sharing this plant's goodness as much, if not considerably more, than it has been with me. Perhaps even exponentially!
Black Queen: this strain is the X factor of the equation. I hadn't selected BQ from HGS; at the time of my order, they must have simply been out of BB. Due to a SNAFU, I ended up getting the original package AND a resend on the same day. The second package did have BB in it, and so like I said, X factor. BQ isn't one I would have picked, either, and I debated whether to even grow it, grow space being some expensive real estate. It is a very strong medicinal strain, more than a few tokes, and you're going to sleepytime. But then I put 1+1 together, realizing I know a few people who have real need of a strain like this. And this ain't California. BQ is in, and I'm excited to see these plants grow.

So, it is 5 of each, 15 plants in 3" peat pots in a fluffy seedling mix soil. The peat pots, I may not use again, and this is why: they cool the soil. I'd like that soil a few degrees warmer, not cooler, than the ambient temp, at least in winter when it is a struggle to bring it to seedling or clone friendly temps.
Even so, 2 days later, 12 of the 15 have popped up, in various states of freeing themselves from the shell. This stage will go on for another day or two, perhaps I will get hold of a decent digital camera for that. Though we've seen this happen many times, I've never done a photojournal, so what the hell.
All 5 BQ and BB are up, 1 of each of those were the first two up at less than 48 hours. If a good seed can pop up in less than 48 hours, I'm starting to wonder why I ever screwed around with socks and plates and all that business. Unless it were to start in hydro. Later clones from these plants are intended to be flowered in bubblers, but being as my cloning technique is still an X factor itself, I wanted to ensure a mother plant by starting this batch in soil. This way, 1 of each of these original soil females can be put into reveg as soon as sex is indicated, while clones of all 15 are (hopefully) rooting in bubblers. Then, I will attempt to root at least one of each of these female clones in soil, before even considering flowering the original seed mothers. Space permitting, I also think it may be prudent to keep 3 of the Father clones, and perhaps with clones of them, attempt to bonsai.
So, the first drama of the production are these Purple Cindy seeds. They are, visually, less ripe than either the BB or the BQ, both of which are primo seeds, little brown walnuts, and they have popped up vigorously. The PC are taking a little longer. 2 of them are up and about, one starting to face up it's seedling leaves, but 2 of the peat pots show not even a stir. With one of them, I got curious and pulled back with a very small implement, a tiny bit of soil, which of course is strictly forbidden. That one has hatched, and a strong full tap root shoots down, and the seed is just starting to crack, covered with squiggly lines. The other 2, I have decided not to disturb.
That's it for now! At some point, budget permitting, this will become a photo-journal. Not much to see anyway, unless you're a noob, but then part of me is always a noob. Peace BfB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love it mang. :aok: Here's some GREEN MOJO to give them a boost. Goos luck on the grow and we'll be following along. ;)

I've been watching this drama unfold since pre-order. I can't express how happy I am to finally be able to read this!! I can only imagine how YOU must feel.

So...now to business. Lights? Temps? Nutes? Also guessing you'll be putting the peat pots into something larger when the time comes??

Here's to some healthy Momma's :banana: and my newest thread subscription!!

2/27: 14/15 plants up and out. The last PC seed dropped a tap, but didn't crack the shell. The other 2 in question were saved by excavating a 1/4" of soil till I saw the seed, then re-covering with a sprinkling of soil. Those 3 may have been planted too deep.

Current lighting is increased to 3x42 watt CFL, 1x30 watt, plus a 15 watter that was laying around, and will be replaced with a 30 watt. I can't find cool spectrum in the 42 watt, and also, the 42 watt aren't designed for inverted operation (although they've got an entire grow on them already with no ill effects). Past experience though shows me that warm spectrum CFL for veg is A+++ anyway.
The plan is to repot at around 2 weeks and 4 weeks, if ready, and wean onto a 600 watt HPS. I want to enclose and isolate odors this time around. Last grow was a bit crazy in that regard, and I've read BB is a real stinker. So in the meanwhile, I will either build a flowering box, or buy a grow tent, and purchase a second centrifugal and carbon filter. MH conversion bulb is on my list too, $$$ permitting.
Will also be putting together a couple of cloner bubblers. So I have a lot of DIY work over the next 2 weeks. Time to earn some merit badges!

Sounds beautiful man. Cant weight to see how it looks!

i hear you on the DIY projects!! i'll bring the brownies to the next merit badge meeting :hubba: you bring the coolaid ;)

3/3: Beware the Ides! Or is the the tides?

Peat pots are giving me problems. Plants appear overwatered, which I have never done. I feel like such a Newb. But there they are, drooping like paraglider wings. I'd been watering normally, feeling the soil down to an inch or two. I see the droop set in around 2 days ago. So, I stop watering. The soil becomes absolutely parched, even crunchy dry. Still they droop as if overwatered. I don't understand. Must be a beginning of March thing. I also crossed paths with my Ex tonight. No coincidence, as she doesn't make any goddamned sense either.
Most of the plants are popping roots out the bottom. I'm just going to transplant a little early and get these poor babies into some decent sized containers. To heck with starting in wee little pots and transplanting. I've always started in larger containers and have had great success that way. The healthiest plants were always the ones in the biggest containers.

3/6: Okay whatever weirdness that was, I don't know, some sort of odd twisty energy which has twisted me but in a good sort of way. A twisting resulting in less twist.
Meanwhile we have moved everybody into 8" containers. Some good size gravel in each and MG organic as well as some MG chem I have a lot left from the last grow. Of course there are far better soils to use, but this is good stuff to use to get some nice healthy plants going, sex them, and further clones can be put in other mediums. Growing = spending $$$ but when you're running close to cutting into rent, MG soil is just fine. The MG chem I used last go around gave no problems. I even foliar sprayed MG dilution in midflowering. The buds were dank, and tasted very good, extremely sweet pungent type aroma. Which of course, is not to imply that good, hyrdro shop organic soil isn't better, actually I look forward to growing a few of the BB clones in some primo organic to compare the taste.
And to cover the much larger area presented by 14 8" containers, we've switched from the CFLs to our old friends, you know them, you love them, the classic 4' floro tubes, 8 of those putting 20k lumens in a 20"x48" area, which is just a little too small for the 14 pots, so the ends will have to be rotated in to keep everybody happy. This all fits in a rather ideal closet for now, which is 22" wide and around 10 feet long with double sliding door. Makes airflow very easy to accomplish.
All plants are ok, but all are a little stunted/confused and generally not happy with their wet diapers, but all is changed.
A tiny seedling in an 8" pot is a silly thing to take a picture of. I have to protect them from the media at this tender stage. :) Should have 3-bladed leaves in a week, I think.

3/7: Nothing new today, except that getting this 14 plant garden setup took a lot longer than expected. Hanging 4 shop lights in a safe and stable way so that I can raise and lower all 4 took some fanangling with chains and eyehooks, but the mission is accomplished. Dropped the lights a couple of times, and it was pure stupid luck to not have busted any floro tubes.
Somehow I had forgotten, that in all this seed germination, I was going to need to set up a veg area.
The transplants were the most difficult I've done. Roots had really stuck to the peat pots, but I really wanted to get them out of them to breathe better, at last. Most took some root damage, and were ready to fall apart in my hand. It was delicate, slow work, but went well.

3/9: Plants are happy again. Most have had their first set of serrated leaves double in size and are working on the first 3-blade set at last.
Sorry, there's no way I can afford a digital camera what with my exhaust manifold cracking last night. I have a cheapo digital camera that has terrible light sensitivity and is either way underexposed, or way over when pointed at the lights. Soooo, to heck with the pictures. I have bigger problems to deal with.

Latest posts

Back