My very first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdog4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started my grow last Friday. I am very anxious and a little scared at the same time. I hope some people will help me along and give me some advice. My grow space is 3'6x3'6x6'. I am using a 400 watt metal halide light that I got for free from work. It is a high bay or low bay light, I altered it by removing socket, buying a reflector and new socket. I had 100% germination but some didnt sprout. I either didnt water enough or too much heat. I am using fox farm ocean forest soil with nothing added, i am not sure if i should have added perlite or vermiculite. I have 5 babies that sprouted but the seed shell still is on with only 1 showing a leave. A friend of a friend just finished a grow and i got some an it was great. These are supposedly the seeds from it, i know what is suppoed to be but I was thinking I wouldnt say and see if anyone can tell. It could be fun. I think they might need watering but not sure. I havent watered them since i planted. I keep reading horror stories about overwatering. Here are some pics, sorry about quality, trying to work on that, any ideas?

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

IMAG0058.JPG

Anyone know how I can raise the humidity, its only 29, is that a problem. I tried a bucket of water and I even bought a little humidifier. I think my exhaust fan is just eliminating the moisture. Any ideas?

uhhh freez a bottle of water put it in front of the fan pushing the air in (this will bring down your temps to )so be careful .happy growing:D

Hello, my 1 week old babies have yellow on the tips of their leaves. Is this normal, I used foxfarm ocean forest soil, so i dont think they need nutes yet. Heres a pic, poor quality on closeups, hopefully someone can help.

IMAG0068.JPG

can't really see much, I try to keep the soil moist on mine when they are tiny like that. haven't had a problem yet.

Seedlings like humidity and moisure. I just started my first grow and I did one under a dome and one without and the one under a humidity dome did much better. Very moist soil, too. Just as a seedling. Just for the 2 weeks.

Just use a strawberry or grapes container. It worked perfect for me.

Thought i would update since i havent lately. Growth was going real slow so I went out and bought another 400 w switchable ballast( which ill use in my flower room once i build it) , giving me two 400w mh lights. Also bought air cooled reflector and made the reflector I already had aircooled(Bought some aluminum angle and glass from lowes), but havent ran flex duct yet but I will this weekend. I started out with six but a few didnt make it but over the last couple weeks added some more seedlings. The 3 oldest are on day 19 from the day i planted and a few others a week or so behind and rest just planted(12 total). I started nutes on one yesterday just to see how it would respond. It did fine so i fed the others nutes today. I used ff grow big and big bloom at quarter strength. Not sure why ff recommends big bloom in veg but I trust them. Should i feed nutes every watering or just stick to every other? Here are some pics, the first pic of one by itself is the bushiest , it is staying short. 2nd and 3rd are also 19 days old. 2 group photos of all 12 and new light.
Any input or comments are welcome and would be appreciated, I need all the help I can get. How do they look for their age?

IMAG0088.JPG

IMAG0089.JPG

IMAG0090.JPG

IMAG0091.JPG

IMAG0092.JPG

IMAG0093.JPG

IMAG0094.JPG

hey TIM, nice setup, and you got 12 plants to go in there. elliminate the males and you should be able to fit a max of 9 plants in the spce you have. cant wait t o see how this turns out.

keep it green 85C

Looks like those plants have made some nice progress since they broke soil. How's the humidity working out?

Hey thanks everyone for the nice comments and checking out my journal. Hey audix the humidity is still around 30, tried humidifier, bowl of water, frozen bottle of water and cant seem to raise it, but oh well.
I need some help here, I went to check on my girls(I hope) and noticed something weird. One of them has 2 stems coming out of the soil. I looks like two seperate plants. I know I only put one seed in the pot, I wasnt that stoned. Has anyone ever seen this before or have an ideas what is going on. I tried to move some dirt away to see what was going on but i dont want to hurt it. Here is some pics

IMAG0098.JPG

IMAG0102.JPG

IMAG0103.JPG

I have a stupid question, Can 1 seed produce 2 plants? Check out the pics above from my last post. Let me know what you guys think.

im no expert but i would think you want to get that out of there so there not fighting for space.

Day 26 update. My babies still seem small to me for 26 days, but what do I know. But just by looking at other pics, they seem smaller. Any thoughts? I said that i wanted to see if people could guess the strain, but now I realize thats almost impossible so they are northern lights(supposedly). I got a bag from a friend of a friend of some killer smoke so i inquired and come to find out he was growing and said it was nl and these were the seeds. So there you have it my first grow is northern lights. with one or two bag seeds also. Is this why they look small maybe because nl stay short and bushy?
Ive been giving nutes every other watering. Started with 1/4 strength to half and next will be full strength. They are taking nutes well. I was thinking of transplanting the 3 biggest(the ones in the first pic) into 3 gallon pots. Does anyone think they are ready? They are almost as tall as the pots and i dont wanna risk them getting root bound. I would appreciate some feedback on this.
I also got some new lights from work for free(i love my job). 4 100w hps shown in pic and another 400 w metal halide. I know have 3 400w mh, 1 400w switchable mh hps, and 4 100w hps. I dont know what im gonna do with all these but i just had to have them. They are everywhere at work, I swear there must be a thousand 400w mh ballasts laying around at work.
Anyways the first pic is the 3 oldest in same order as pic from last update to show progress. What you guys think? 2 group pics of my 8 that are left(some didnt sprout), and pic of new lights.

IMAG0113.JPG

IMAG0117.JPG

IMAG0118.JPG

IMAG0119.JPG

IMAG0121.JPG

Should I transplant today? Will someone give me their opinion

im pretty shure u can transplant any time u want but yes i would get them in biger pots also did u say that u are gonna give them full strengh nutes now?cause they should not be getting full strengh till close to the end i think ive read that but im not possitive,i have to say they look pretty good to me but when u transplant them i dont think id give them a full strengh nutes cause sometimes when u transplant they go a little limp u dont wanna shock them also be carefull with the root ball when i trans planted my plant it did not get any shock at all it started growing like crazy now plus i m usein fox farm ocean forest like u are but in any rate good luck and they look great i think when u get them in a bigger pot their gonna realy start growin faster for u since u got all them lights on them lol i wish i had just 1 of them lights ur lucky bud...

my goal is to only transplant them once, from a 4' square pot to a 5gal, also its not efficient at all for 2 plants to grow that close, look at my journal. one will get seriously stunted and hard to light.

Dc

looking good timdog, ive seen twins a few times. not my own, but others have had these. good you have seprated them, we can see how they do from the single plant seeds.

Latest posts

Back