100°+ sun or shade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slartibartfast

Don't Panic
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums before posting my first question and haven't seen exactly the same situation as mine, so here's my story:

A friend gave me an AK48 seedling in April, which I planted in a 13" pot with the same soil I use for tomatoes. It flowered really early so I chopped it in mid June. I got a quart ziploc bag full of small buds that gave a good trippy high with one hit, and didn't leave me tired and wasted afterward... perfect!

After cutting them, I left a small shoot hoping it would grow back. I added some fresh soil and continue to pour on some miracle grow every 2 or 3 weeks, and now I have a 35" tall bush. It is flowering nicely and I figure maybe harvesting in 3 or 4 weeks. I have been pushing them back behind a hedge of redtips at night to shade them from a mercury vapor light that comes on at sunset. I was afraid the light would stunt the flowers if I left it exposed. The first picture shows where it lives at night, but just pushed farther back into that corner.

Aw crap, I guess I can't show pictures until I get 15 posts. I tried "Manage Attachments," and they uploaded, but don't show up in the post. Image hosting was rejected too. I hope my descriptions suffice.

My question now has to do with the fact that we,ve had over a month of temperatures over 95°F every day, and so far 14 days have been over 100, as high as 111. The black plastic pot gets very hot and the leaves are getting tiny speckles, so I think they're getting sunburned. You can see it in the second picture, but the photo doesn't really pick it up very well. I've thought of just leaving it back in the shade all day now. It does get plenty of indirect sun back there, but would that affect the development? I've been told that lower light during flowering may increase potency, but that wasn't from a a reliable source. I'm hoping some of you here at marijuanapassion have an answer for me.

Thanks for reading such a long post from a newbie.

SBF

I've been told that anything over 95 degrees is absolutely deadly and that you really want to keep it below 90. I don't know what to tell you, dude, but...it doesn't sound good.

I'd leave it in full sunlight. More light equals bigger buds. Plants outside can handle higher temps because of the abundance of co2 outside.
the leaves are getting tiny speckles
You might want to invest in some sort of insecticide if you're growing outdoors. You can get a garden and fruit insecticide at walmart.

Achilles said:
I've been told that anything over 95 degrees is absolutely deadly and that you really want to keep it below 90. I don't know what to tell you, dude, but...it doesn't sound good.
yeah right it got up to 119 degrees a few days and my plants are still alive and doing quite well now the avrage temp is about 105-107 and there in direct sun light for most of the day:D
oh yeah and buding.

bombbudpuffa said:
...You might want to invest in some sort of insecticide if you're growing outdoors. You can get a garden and fruit insecticide at walmart.
I agree, those redtips might be sharing some bugs with my baby. I'm gonna kill 'em!

Dyannas son said:
yeah right it got up to 119 degrees a few days and my plants are still alive and doing quite well now the avrage temp is about 105-107 and there in direct sun light for most of the day:D
oh yeah and buding.
That makes me feel better. Just got to kep water on it, that plastic pot dries out almost every day.

It would be easier if I didn't have to drag it away from that light every night. But soon it will have been worth it.
:bong:

if your plants been out side this whole time the heat should not be that great a factor as long as they stay watered , watering them is a must since they are in pots , and , water evaporates quicker , just keep them watered well and they should do just fine ...........:D :D :D :D

try to shade the pots..IMHO, that is where any real danger lies. In the rootzone getting too hot.
If you didn't have to continously move them, I would say to pile mulch up around them. Anything to deferr some of the heat from collecting in those "black" pots.

I have the dirt covered with oyster shells to block the sun, but you're right about covering the pot too. I have thought about that.

I just got home with my new 60x-100x hand scope, so I'm going to take a look at the trichomes. Do I look at the ones on the pistils? It looks like they are on the small leaves too.
Edit: Duh... nevermind, all I had to do was look and it was obvious.

Latest posts

Back