2 weeks OLD FLOWER UNTIL IT SHOW SEX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY plants are 12 inches , about 7 weeks old and are starting to show sex.. maybe just the strain but they are still in veg.

Well like I said its bout 8 in & on its third set of leaves with 7 pedals. I'm on 24/0 so I doubt I'll see sex until I flower

I've always checked the 4th node to show pre-flower, I think that's from an old Rosenthal book. I have a bunch at 2 and 3 wks- I'll try the 8th and compare.

I wish mine were showing that early hopefully I'll know by 1 week of flower

Oh- sorry to mislead you! I meant that when they DO show pre-flower that's a good place to look for the first sign. In reality, I check 'em all over with a magnifier when I'm looking. Mine don't show this early, usually show w/in 7 days of flower if vegged more than 4 wks ( in my garden). BTW- waiting until at least wk 4 to switch makes an amazing difference in health and yield. I think they are growing more roots than veg until then, and the interruption messes with their little heads.

Wow i can stil add something to this thread :D if you want to determine the plants sex take a cutting (one of the side branches) and put it in a shot glass of water and flower it youll know in about a week what your plant is. The bonus is your plant gets to keep vegging while the cutting flowers, no need to root the cutting unless your going to make it a clone. you can also put a plant into flower and then re-veg it back once its shown sex but it takes a long time for the plant to revert back.

D-man, I hadn't heard of the shot glass trick. Just take a cutting place in plain water, and put in 12/12 room? Sounds like a good solution, replace the males early that way. Also, I read last nite that switching to 12/12 for even a couple of days, then putting them back in veg is BAD. Seems it screws up the plant hormonally and takes weeks to recover and grow normally.

I mentioned Rosenthal as a 4th node advocate, but the source was actually an early Mel Frank book. My bad.

Barrelhse said:
D-man, I hadn't heard of the shot glass trick. Just take a cutting place in plain water, and put in 12/12 room? Sounds like a good solution, replace the males early that way. Also, I read last nite that switching to 12/12 for even a couple of days, then putting them back in veg is BAD. Seems it screws up the plant hormonally and takes weeks to recover and grow normally.
Yeah its a trick i picked up from Hick i think (thanks again Hick ;)) and it would be bad to switch lighting for a short time because it doesnt give the plant long enough to start producing the sexual hormones for a forced flower, it will take a plant a week or more to show under forced sexing anyway, sudden frequent changes would be even worse.

Heres a pic of the plant @ 3 weeks old
I started 12/12 today

phpCntAq3PM.jpg

The Hemp Goddess said:
You may be new, but you are not ****. I didn't even catch that. He will need way more lighting to flower anything. In a 4x4 space you want about 800W of light, preferably a HPS for flowering.
with only one plant you will be fine with 1 4oo watt hps to flower the cfls wont cut it but you certainly dont need 800 watts in a closet unless you want to heat stress the #### outta your plant

JuggaloKing69 said:
would THC crystals on leaves mean FEMALE????????
no if its a female she will show tiny hairs at about 2 weeks in if a male look for balls you cant miss em but your cfls wont do well in flower youll have to get a hps in there

original sinner said:
with only one plant you will be fine with 1 4oo watt hps to flower the cfls wont cut it but you certainly dont need 800 watts in a closet unless you want to heat stress the #### outta your plant
While I agree with your "400 watt being sufficient for one plant" statement, hempgodess is also correct in saying that a 400 is not sufficient for a 4x4 area.
"Optimal" lighting is considered @ 'approx.' 50 watts per./sq. ft, or 5,000 lumen P/sq. ft.

Thats why i went with 2 400W in my 4x4 area if you do the totals on that it comes out to nearly 7K lums per square ft ;)

Dubbaman said:
Thats why i went with 2 400W in my 4x4 area if you do the totals on that it comes out to nearly 7K lums per square ft ;)
no i get trhat and agree but with just one plant 800 watts is way too much

Latest posts

Back