3rd attempt at growing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, the first time I grew can be found by searching schoolboy420 on here... Its embarrassing.

2nd grow, I'm not even going into. I just went about everything wrong.. Tried cheaping out, cutting corners, and ignoring all that I had learned years back on here.

This time around, started out with fox farms ocean forest, CFLs, and a random seed out of a good batch I had bought.

It started out damn near flawless within a couple weeks from germination it outgrew the mini guitar amp I converted and I had to go to a thrift shop to find something to convert into a grow box. I picked up a computer desk with a desktop like compartment for $10, Score! Something for my TV to sit on in the bedroom and a decent little grow space suitable for some LST.

And it looked like this..

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187522274.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187541686.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187594709.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187624479.jpg

Everything was going great, and I decided to go ahead and order some FF Grow Big offline. And last night I noticed it was touching the lights, one tip slightly burnt. No big deal, I just ran after some bigger lights and other stuff to prepare to up the lumens. I raised it up a few inches and turned them all sideways, because I read that you get the most lumens out of them when the lights sit sideways, not sure how true it is, but I went ahead. I just secured it all in place with the only thing I could find around... My wife's mustache duct tape. Apparently I didn't use enough. I woke up, checked the mail and my grow big made it, just in time for her(hopefully) to need watered. I open up the box and the lights had fallen on her and it looked like this when I moved them!!
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187871483.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187894975.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427187913386.jpg

Talk about serious disappointment.

Well I see that all on one side is still very green and I think with the right care she can come back stronger. I fixed the lights quickly before going in to work, and went ahead and fed her, wasn't too sure if I should've or not, but I went ahead anyways. The lower leaves were getting a little yellowish before that happened.

Well I noticed this happening to one of the leaves.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427188061432.jpg

It looks as if it is splitting down the middle, the main stem is also swelling up quite a bit. I'm not sure what to take of that. I wish I could take a picture of that, but my wife would wake up and be awfully cranky.

I'm assuming its going to form new growth.. But I'm not sure. I've never seen this before, I mean, I still have newbie eyes. So with that assumption I went ahead and put some string around the top nodes(that weren't completely dead and flimsy) and pulled it on over to keep the nasty from hogging up all the light.

Anyways I guess what I am getting at here is..

Any advice?
Have I made the right moves from here?
And looking at the last picture. Or any of them really, what is your personal take on this?

Well the 3rd from last picture actually shows what I've done with the string. I am fixing that when my wife wakes up! She was rushing me out so she could go to sleep so I did that in a hurry.

And BTW I fed her very light. I believe I put 1.2-1.3 ml of grow big into a 1 liter bottle. Enough to give a taste without risking nuts burn or over doing it with this going on too!

imo you need to rethink your goals from scratch. what do you want from this? a good supply of bud or just to grow a plant? look into HPS lighting and a fair sized grow box like 3x3 or more, and ask questions as you go. this effort you are going through is not worth it, as you would wait for months to get a couple grams if youre lucky... JMO

Yeah it's mostly for fun. Not for crazy results. Contrary to what you see in the pics, the top expands up quite a bit more and it would be nothing to make it a little more room with some parts I took off of the desk. If I get one good doobie out of it, I think the experience and smoking it will be worth it. Ive thought about going the HPS route, but I'd rather avoid fighting heat. And also if this wasn't quite roomy enough, it would be just as easy to find something to rehouse it into. I'm just taking baby steps at a time here, hoping for the best, and expecting nothing. Regardless I know I get thrilled at every new growth I spot. But quantity means nothing to me. I mean the more the better. But if I don't get much I can buy some elsewhere. And I'll still have some left over supply's for the next grow [emoji6]

Also, I don't intend to pull the plug. So please do not suggest it. I suffer from early attachment syndrome, its an entirely made up condition, but I just don't like giving up even when there is no hope. So the lights will stay running until it crumbles, until it buds, or I discover it is a male.

Hey greenbean, welcome back. So that was a beautiful start and a lousy end... NOT that it is the end..But they were looking really nice for cfl's tight nodes..so you started great.

I am thinking like Zem, that you can grow great pot but you need better equipment. I would invest in a T5 for sure. HOT5's. And then a nice light to flower.
But for now, please go in and cut that dead center out. She isn't going to come back. You don't want to leave dead stuff on your plant or it will continue to "dieback" so remove that till you get to healthy tissue.

Glad you are back... you will get this.

Yea bean cut the dead off and she will come back. I agree with both Zem and Rose, there is just some basic fundamental equipment you need to make this plant flourish. It does not have to be expensive, you just need to provide enough light in the right spectrum and a good supply of fresh air and water and nutrition....all of which does not have to be really expensive. Good luck, your thinking this through and you have a good start, you just a little hiccup. :)

I'd just pinch the worst part off........ like topping it.......... she'll come back fine I think.......

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, Rose never forgets the positives of someone, but yeah, she's right, I think that you can grow great pot because you have the talent

Well I went back to my old name to those who want to follow this plant. I will make a journal in the next couple days,assuming this one doesn't kick the bucket!

aha so schoolboy=greenbeany? I hope that this formula doesnt get more complicated :laugh: kidding

Greenybeany is my everyday name and schoolboy is my superhero name.

Regular guy during the day, and mj fighter at night.

Alright, I'll move this into a grow journal under this account. Feel free to check in, tell me what I'm doing wrong, smack me around a bit, and get me on the right track. [emoji4]

Smack, smack and smack again. Now, does that feel better ? Gotta get ya straightened around and on the right track. We gonna help ya out.

Latest posts

Back