Active Carbons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Real78

Reaction score
The one I have is done and I really don't know why it is only has been in use for about three months so I made a small one to hold me off until I go to the store.

Is there a way to reuse the carbon filter or has anyone tried. I am going to be doing a DIY in a little while but would like to reuse it if I can.

Yes you can re use them... Most pre built filters have rivets, you can drill the rivets out, empty the carbon, refill with carbon, then use sheet metal screws in the hole that the rivets were in...

Theres also a DIY on this forum for building your own filter....

Why after only 3 months are trying to refill it? Did you use a pre filter on it?

Reusing the carbon isn't feasible unless you happen to own a kiln. Reactivation of the charcoal takes extreme heat. If I remember correctly, it's around 1500 degrees F for quite some time. It would be easy to google.

PieRsquare said:
Reusing the carbon isn't feasible unless you happen to own a kiln. Reactivation of the charcoal takes extreme heat. If I remember correctly, it's around 1500 degrees F for quite some time. It would be easy to google.

Im pretty sure he was refering to using the the filter and not the carbon LOL...

MindzEye said:
Yes you can re use them... Most pre built filters have rivets, you can drill the rivets out, empty the carbon, refill with carbon, then use sheet metal screws in the hole that the rivets were in...

Theres also a DIY on this forum for building your own filter....

Why after only 3 months are trying to refill it? Did you use a pre filter on it?

I never refilled it before I have had it for about a year and put it threw 3 months of use. If I can refill it then that would be great to have another back up as I am heading out to pick up to do a DIY.

Real78 said:
I never refilled it before I have had it for about a year and put it threw 3 months of use. If I can refill it then that would be great to have another back up as I am heading out to pick up to do a DIY.

After 3 months of use the filter should still be good as long as your using a pre filter on it.. Refilling them is easy, a little messy but well worth the money savings.. All I use is the DIY filters now...

I just finished building two carbon filters and boy did that take some time to do. I will have to go out and buy some more carbon as I did not have enough for my back up filter. The total cost was about 60-70 dollar to build two filters but only had enough carbon for one filter.

For anyone that is getting started build yourself two and you will be happy you did. One will save money in the long run because you can refill as you need and now I will fill my back up and buy an extra carbon to have on hand so when my first one goes I can refill it later. Thanks for the DIY guys :D

Real78,

Precisely which DIY filter did you make? I believe there are a couple of different ones in the DIY forum.

As to the life of the filters, shelve life can influence the useful life expectancy too depending upon whether or not they are stored in a dry area and kept away from odors.

Another factor is how much air you are moving through how large of a filter and how much odor you are trying to remove from the air. To judge whether 3 months is a reasonable life expectancy or not requires a lot more information than the post gave. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it -- just change it when the odor starts coming through.

The temperature to reactivate the carbon depends on what the substance is that you are trying to remove from the filter and how much the hot air circulates, because you are basicallly just boiling away the odor causing chemical that the carbon has absorbed. The move fresh HOT air that goes through the filter while reactivating the carbon, the quicker it will reactivate. If I remember correctly, the 1500F is the temperature used to maqke the activated carbon initially, and even that would depend on what the carbon was being made from.

Great smoking..

DonJones said:
The temperature to reactivate the carbon depends on what the substance is that you are trying to remove from the filter and how much the hot air circulates, because you are basicallly just boiling away the odor causing chemical that the carbon has absorbed. The move fresh HOT air that goes through the filter while reactivating the carbon, the quicker it will reactivate. If I remember correctly, the 1500F is the temperature used to maqke the activated carbon initially, and even that would depend on what the carbon was being made from.
I was speaking of activated charcoal. I looked it up. It requires a sealed, airless process at 600F. It has to be airless because otherwise, the charcoal would burn up.

If you use pre filters around the outside of the filter it greatly increases the life of the carbon...

Latest posts

Back