AlienBait Tries Cold Cathode Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
killa-watt said:
I thought Cold Cathode Florescent Lamps produced 1/2 the lumens that standard CFL's did. Do you know how many lumens those bulbs give off?

No, I don't know what the output is. I really couldn't find much info on these particular lights since they are made to light up a computer case and not growing. I'm suprised they are doing as well as they are.:D

Runbyhemp said:
Your plants were grown entirely with these ?

Well, they are clones, so when I was rooting them, I used 2-ft fluorescent tubes. After they had roots, I kept them under the flos for 3 weeks for the WS and 1 week for the WW, then 1 week veg (24/0) under the CC lights, then, finally went to 12/12.

ok, i'm a noobie but learning at a "high" rate of speed. on this micro-grow, are the plants left in the growbox (computer) the entire time till harvest? like, will they outgrow the box? get in the fan? this REALLY intrigues me...one more question, you can use ONLY red with one or two blue? nothin else needed on lites?

Well, octobong007, it's not a computer case. It is just a box made out of particle board, but I am using a computer power supply to run the lights and the fan.

The plants will stay in the box the whole time except when I take them out for pictures.

At this point, I don't think they will out grow this box. We are almost 6 weeks into flowering and they are pretty small, so I think we will be fine.

This grow is more of a "proof of concept." I just wanted to see if I could flower under these lights. Looks like I can.:D

Hey AB, just wanted to say GREAT work with all these experiments you have. I was hooked with the led's and now this grow is grabbin me! Keep up the Great work bro! Also, i wonder if they will ever make colored screw in cfl's, that would be a good experiment. I use all cfl's, from start to finish, and am having great success, but just thinkin if i could get a better spec of red and blue in there they would be much better, just a thought. Keep the lab growin bro!

totally understood on the growbox. just wanted to say thanx for all your effort and experimentation with this and the l.e.d. grow...i've learned more from you about lighting in the last 3 days of reading than in the last 5 years bro, seriously. i'll be combining your findings and TRYING to create a stealth that'll stay cool, discreet, and hydro. again, thanx for all your doing...dam i love this site!
if i may ask, what soil and nutes r u using?

octobong007 said:
if i may ask, what soil and nutes r u using?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but I've been out of town and just got back.

I'm growing hydro with these plants. Hand-watering 2 liter soda bottles with a 50/50 mix of perlite/vermiculite. The nutes I'm using are called Vita-Grow. They are non-organic, but produce really nice plants.

I'm finding this grow "mesmerizing". i wasn't expecting them to live....let alone produce anything. :p

AB's gunna have a "Pimp My Growroom/box" series pretty soon.

oh....man.......a ceiling packed full of those lights plants all around and in the center of the room............my recliner front and center of that BRASS POLE.

you all know what pole i'm talkin bout :hubba:

allgrownup said:
oh....man.......a ceiling packed full of those lights plants all around and in the center of the room............my recliner front and center of that BRASS POLE.

you all know what pole i'm talkin bout :hubba:

LOL! You need help. :p

Well it's time for an update. We are at 7 weeks of flowering and it's looking nice and frosty. :hubba: I'll be chopping next week. :D

The Pictures:

1) White Satin on the left, White Widow on the right.
2) WS
3) WS
4) WW
5) WW
6) White Satin under the Cold Cathodes

CC-W8.jpg

CC-W8ws1.jpg

CC-W8ws2.jpg

CC-W8ww1.jpg

CC-W8ww2.jpg

P1010008.JPG

AlienBait said:
Well it's time for an update. We are at 7 weeks of flowering and it's looking nice and frosty. I'll be chopping next week.

How tall are they man? Can you put a size reference in the pic next time?

How about some closeups of the lights themselves.

Ballasts? Pics please?

I'm not sure I've ever seen these.

Thanks man.

I might have to try this...

You're like a...pot astronaut!

Pot...the final frontier...growing where no man has grown before...........

Stoney Bud said:
How tall are they man? Can you put a size reference in the pic next time?

How about some closeups of the lights themselves.

Ballasts? Pics please?

I have pictures of the setup in the first post of this thread. I can take better pictures if you want. I'll do that next time. For now, here is a link to a company that sells them. Not the one I bought from, but I'm sure they are the same.

http://www.xoxide.com/coldcathodes.html

As to the plant size, the White Satin is 15 inches tall and the White Widow is 13 inches tall. I'll have a better reference picture on next weeks update.

Hope that helps.

AlienBait said:
As to the plant size, the White Satin is 15 inches tall and the White Widow is 13 inches tall. I'll have a better reference picture on next weeks update.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks man. You've got my mind racing...

Hmmmm, I'll have to get some just to test them for what I'm thinking of...

amazing grow AB;) glad to see how great they came out:cool: excellent work:aok:

update homie, ur slackin, im missing all the mind dazzling fun and info u put out. lol

Latest posts

Back