Alternading Nodes: Whats the hype?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caretaker

Rx THC
Reaction score
I have read to much about alternading nodes saying a plant is sexually mature. I start 12/12 from seed and honestly I have had all my plants but maybe 1 or 2 show sex about a week before any sign of alternading nodes. Some people are so set on flowering at that point, or wondering when to flower. Well, You can flower a plant whenever you want and it will flower soon enough when ever it wants. I just want to lower the hype on flowering when you see alternading nodes. If most of my plants show sex before alternading nodes show than I think it can eliminate being a sign of maturity. I am thinking it might do that because it realizes there will be big buds soon and a branch being on its own in that section is alot stronger than having another branch next to it sharing that stems strength.

In shorter form. There is alot of info around here saying a plant wont flower without alternating nodes. I am saying thats not exactly true.

I believe it's in the genetics of the plants, I have had some (but very few) that never grew alternating nodes from seed to harvest. But most plants will grow them and thats a good guide line as to when they are sexually mature or (when pre-flowers appear). But on the other hand I don't care who a person is or what kind of green thumb they are you will not get a plant to flower with out it being sexually mature there's just no way around mother nature that any one has found. You would be a very rich man if you can make a MJ plant flower on demand...take care..

Sir_Tokie said:
I believe it's in the genetics of the plants, I have had some (but very few) that never grew alternating nodes from seed to harvest. But most plants will grow them and thats a good guide line as to when they are sexually mature or (when pre-flowers appear). But on the other hand I don't care who a person is or what kind of green thumb they are you will not get a plant to flower with out it being sexually mature there's just no way around mother nature that any one has found. You would be a very rich man if you can make a MJ plant flower on demand...take care..
Eggzaktly..... AND... in many(if not most) of the "experienced/top shelf" growers opinion, 12/12 from seed is detrimental to both yield and potency of the final product.
Now.. that statement is probably going to raise some controversy from several here. BUT.. I am not saying that the final product will be crap, or poor quality. What I am saying, is that if they are allowed to sexually mature before thy are forced into flower, the product will benefit in both areas.
(with a few exceptions. Equatorial sativas being one)
Anyone that has ever grown a plant can readily recognize the growth spurt at onset of flowering(the stretch) They do that because they are stretching, looking for, trying to find/access the light that they require for photosynthesis. To induce that kind of stress on seedlings, can't benefit either root or plant structure.

If your vegging for a little bit I guess alternading nodes is a good guidline for sure. I am just going against the threads on here that said a plant HAS to have alternating nodes before it can flower. 12/12 from seed hurts yeild for sure. Your secondary growth doesnt come in as much. I usaully get a few bottom branches and a huge bud. But I think I might shock some people with my 6 headed monster, That thing looks like its on steroids compared to anything I have seen 12/12. Give me a few hours and I will try to bring it up here. I also agree a plant will flower when it wants. But all in all only takes about a week to show sex maybe 2 at most.

Showing sex and determining sex are two different things.... Mine have had preflowers for like two weeks and I am still unsure about most of them.

One of the best parts of a grow are checking for sex. The happiness of seeing a female is a great feeling. Seeing a male is in a way a good thing because I get to throw it out and create more room for the females to thrive. But that is interesting to know there has been plants harvested without alternating nodes. Thats the kind of thing that shouldve been mentioned before. When I was first on here seemed like I wanted alternating nodes so bad so I could flower. I was just wasting time I guess because there wouldve been no problems flowering anytime. Just makes the plant shorter. I like having more of a variety of smaller plants than having a few big ones.

I'm on a 12/12 grow atm and have done them before and can't say that the finished bud turns out different or inferior,it tastes like the strain it's supposed to be but there are differences in appearance,most notably fewer fingers on fan leaves.

I've thought about the possibility of the plant somehow missing out through not going through an adolescent stage and I don't see how it really can,given that it's not stressed really but just placed in an environment which allows it to flower as soon as it's able to sense it's environment,no?

Yield is affected obviously but what do you compare it with?

An interesting experiment might be starting some girls 12/12 and have plants maybe 4 weeks vegged grown along side.Adjust for the size difference,just have both plants no matter the number fill an equal space.

I say about 12/12 bud being seemingly no different,well that's my subjective impression and remember I was stoned at the time,ho ho!:p

That's a pic of a 12/12 top cola,you can see it does not have many fingers on the fan leaves and this is a Sk#1 cross.

DSC_0009.jpg

This is my monster that has been 12/12 from start, I would say somewhat around 2 months old, Maybe 2 and a half months. Not only is that thing 5ft but its got quite a few heads and has a long time to go and already has alot of bud on it. Here is the kicker, I use MG soil and only a 3gal pot. You can tell I use MG by the tips of the cola's. The High N causes th tips to stretch a bit.

HNI_0017.JPG

HNI_0018.JPG

HNI_0019.JPG

Nice pic, excellent plant.
I have put out clones that are alternating nodes, and I sure hope they are gonna be vedging for about six to eight weeks now. I got some out there from seed that are alternating and not gonna flower for hopefully six to eight weeks....
you must be talking indoor.

To tell the truth I think I was blessed with some great genes with that plant. I had another one that grew bigger than that one. Started right with that one but it was growing taller and faster and I had to chop because there was no way I could flower that indoors with other plants. Each one of those branches should hold alteast a half oz. One of those branches looks like one of my usual whole plants at that stage. So with about 4 or 5 heads that will produce atleast 1/2 oz and the other 4 or so half size branches, than the smaller buds on bottom I dont wanna sound crazy but this thing might get 3oz dry on 12/12 with MG soil in the minimum size container. This is giving hope to the average wal-mart shopper!!!

You may want to revedge her and take clones.
Just dont take more than 2/3 of the bud, she will prolly revedge for you. (leaving 1/3 of the plant, I think will be okay, learned that from someone here, havent done it myself)
And as for the MG, the husband used it for years and I hated the taste but he loved it (even with a flush). Now we are growing legal, I am using the fox farms line. Outdoor.

tcbud said:
You may want to revedge her and take clones.
Just dont take more than 2/3 of the bud, she will prolly revedge for you. (leaving 1/3 of the plant, I think will be okay, learned that from someone here, havent done it myself)
And as for the MG, the husband used it for years and I hated the taste but he loved it (even with a flush). Now we are growing legal, I am using the fox farms line. Outdoor.

Yeah I have had that taste too. Its like terrible grass clippings fert taste. But it goes away for me after a 3 week cure. Plus if I transplant soon enough and flower long enough by the end of the plants life most of the nutes can be gone. Not always does that work. When I chop earlier for a clear high I get stronger grass taste. When I have a plant go for a long period of time it seems the fertz have been used and the taste is better. I cant wait to get into fox farm. I can get it but just choose not to visit to hydro store, I think I might go a little nuts like a kid in a candy store.

Latest posts

Back