Ballast Wiring Queston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganDude

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm finalizing the design for my first little grow space. First out of the gate, I'm going with some autos, looking at the auto-AK47. But I've got a few questions about light ballasts first.

First, so no one gets freaked out, I was a trained as an electrician in the military, and I still do most of my own electrical work around the house. Suffice it to say, I know my way around a set of tools!

So, having said that, I think I'm going to buy a ballast kit, and socket, and roll my own light set, if you catch my drift. The place where I'm setting up my room stay's pretty cool all year round, so I think if I do a remote ballast setup, I should be ok. My first question is can I just mount the components on a board and leave then out in the air? With this setup, ballast heat should dissipate pretty well.

My second question, and one I'm having a little more trouble answering is what kind of amperage do these lights draw from the ballast? Been a long time since I messed with the whole i=e/r stuff, and I want to make sure I get the proper gauge. I will probably be going with a 150 - 250w light for my first setup. Leaning toward a very small space and the 150w size.

Thanks for the info!

I do my own wiring as well. I personally like using an enclosure for the ballast. Its not just sticking your hand in there, its anything making contact with the transformer. If heat from the ballast is a concern, use a thick piece of aluminum as a heat sink.

Ive mounted them to a board before, the PC case is a good idea, if not a little big.
They do sell nice enclosures for them with vents and a handle made from galvanized steel. seen them on e-[bay and some grow shop online.

Secondary voltage is not line voltage. I measured mine and it was around 35V after 5 minutes. However the start pulse was about 350V.

Check the wire gauge on your high bay between the ballast and socket and then go up one or two wire sizes. 14 gauge is surely large enough and maybe even 16 gauge. Before you decide against modifying a commercial high/low bay light check out my thread. You might change your mind. For any one with any electrical and mechanical skills it is a very easy process and will look just as good or bad as you want to take the time to make it look. I wind up with less than $50 invested per light by buying them used and converting them to remote ballasts. I fairly sure you're not going to get a kit that cheap.

Good smoking.

So, thanks everyone for the replies! I'm note sure what I'm going to enjoy more...building this stuff, or reaping the rewards! On second thought...definitely reaping the rewards. :D

I actually like the PC case idea for one reason...I'm thinking of using 120mm case fans for ventilation on the little grow box I'm planning. They move a pretty good amount of air, and if I put 4 in and 4 out, I think I can get a pretty decent airflow. The PC case would give me a cover for the ballast and I could use the power supply for the fans.

LeafMiner, the secondary voltage on ignite is exactly what I'm concerned about. I think a heavy duty cord on the line side should work pretty well...I figure I can get an industrial extension cord, snip the end, and I should be set. But I want to make sure that what I used on the secondary side can take those amps without getting too hot.

DonJones,
I've read your thread a couple times. Really good stuff there, and used is definitely a preferred way to go, if I can find it. I have a box of Romex, 14 gauge I think, sitting around from where I did some work rewiring some basement lights a few years ago. I'll have to take a peak at that.

As far as the cost, I've seen ballast kits from places like 1000bulbs for 35 bucks, and bulbs for like 12 bucks. Add in the socket, wire, plug, etc, and I figure I can come in at about 60 - 75 bucks for a 150w light. I can live with that, since my space is gonna be pretty small (3x1 or so). I may bump up to 250w, just in case, but since this is for personnel use only, and I'm not a frequent user, that's about as big as I think I'll go. I'll set myself up for seeds the first time out, so I can just keep revolving auto's every month or so. :hubba:

MichiganDude said:
With this setup, ballast heat should dissipate pretty well.
just in case you didn't know the ballast isnt that much heat compared to the bulb output. atleast in 400 hps and up. maybe the 150 or 250 not so much. but with those fans your gonna use it should do the trick.

Thanks Moaky...that was actually going to be my next question! The 120mm case fans I've seen move about 37 cubic feet/minute of air, so two on outtake and two on intake should more a bit over 70. Given the ambient temp of the space I'm using, and I thing if I stay at a 250w or less, I should be golden.

In case anybody is working with hotter ballasts you can always do the wood mounting but would be advisable to use fire rated wood ;)

Latest posts

Back