best time to take clones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy4105

The grass is greener...
Reaction score
hi all,
just a quick question on when is the best time to take clones, obviously once sex has been determined but "streight away" or a little later.
cheers man
Shuggy.:bongin: :) :bongin:

You always want to be able to leave two or three nodes after taking the clone. You also want two or three on the cutting you are taking. I found this way to be almost 100% effective for me.

in flower?
thanx for the reply Indiglo.:48: :fly:

Best time.. in veg... new 'soft' growth, and dont take more then 1/3 of the plant.

in veg, before sex has been determined:confused: , or use that clone to sex the plant by placing in water and going 12/12?:cool:

shuggy4105 said:
in veg, before sex has been determined:confused: , or use that clone to sex the plant by placing in water and going 12/12?:cool:

One thing for SURE is the most healthy, vigorous cuttings produce the most healthy, vigorous clones. In your case growing from seed I would sex a clone and then take clones from a healthy female plant in veg for optimum sucess. But you can take clones from a plant after the 12/12 flip and sex has been determined. The survival rate will probably go down and it takes a while longer for these clones to revert and start vegging, from my experience anyway. I took cuts from a plant 2 weeks into bloom last time and they all died, compared to a 100% sucess rate taking clones in veg, but that's just me. good luck.

Although if you take a clone befor you know if its female, then you wouldnt know if the clone was female. if you wait until its changed and is female, your clone will be female. And clones usually take 2 weeks to root, but the only problem iv had with clones is when i put them in my garden last year and my little pitbull-terrior ate them.

Rocker420 said:
Although if you take a clone befor you know if its female, then you wouldnt know if the clone was female. if you wait until its changed and is female, your clone will be female.

No, the reason people take a clone from an undetermined sex plant is to FIND OUT if the plant is female by sexing the clone and leaving the mother in veg. If it is female than MORE clones are taken from the female plant while it is in veg.

How do you determine a plants sex through taking a clone and putting it under 12/12?
If you took a clone from a male plant in veg, would balls all of a sudden drop from the clone after a night?
I am confused on this.

in a manner of speaking, yes. Takes anywhere from a few days up to even 2 weeks for sex to show in some strains. But when a plant is put under 12/12 conditions usually in 3-7 days they'll show sex.

Grownothing said:
How do you determine a plants sex through taking a clone and putting it under 12/12?
If you took a clone from a male plant in veg, would balls all of a sudden drop from the clone after a night?
I am confused on this.

What Pewpew said, depending on a lot of factors it might take 10-14 days or longer to sex the clone.

ohh okay...makes sense to me now.
I have just heard stuff that people say you can put it under a 12/12 light cycle, but they never said how long it took...makes sense to me now.
When you do put a clone like that under 12/12 to show sex in a hydro setup, what kinda nutes would you put in? Veg or flower?

i dont have any answers but a thousand questions being answered :)

Grownothing said:
ohh okay...makes sense to me now.
I have just heard stuff that people say you can put it under a 12/12 light cycle, but they never said how long it took...makes sense to me now.
When you do put a clone like that under 12/12 to show sex in a hydro setup, what kinda nutes would you put in? Veg or flower?

New clones shouldn't need any nutes off the bat. Some people use some very very weak veg nutes but most use a rooting solution like Olivias in areo or hydro I believe.

uhh i'll post it here...

where abouts is it that you cut exactly & is it at a 70degree angle or something , that's what i heard , then does it go straight to soil or does it have to go in glass of water about 2inches or something?

shuggy you should 2-3 cuttings from each plant. Put those cuttings in either rockwool cubes, dirt, or cloner in about 1 to 2 weeks youll have a good root structure, transfer one cutting of each different kind of plant you have and put them in flower room or box, within a week or two they will show sex i.e. balls or hairs now you know sex of your plants and can either take one of the cuttings you made earlier and keep the original mom in veg along with any cuttings you dont want to flower. Also let me add throw away the males and all corresponding cuttings. This method gives you a mother, clones, and sexed plants within a month or so, then you never worry about it till you grow with seed again.

i did clones in rock wool... not bad .. but im gonna tell U ... build U a bubbler for cloning... its the best and easyest way 2 go.. get some tupperware... put some airstones in the bottom.. pop U some holes in tha top.. drop Ur clones in tha holes... fill tha water up a few inches below the bottom of your clones... turn on tha pump... the end... no nutes no nothing.. for tha first like 3 or 4 days keep a dome over the clones and mist them once or 2ce a day.. after that U can drop light down on them and leave tha dome off.. after about 2 weeks Ull have a big nice root system that is all in tha water... add your nutes and let them babys grow.. simple and easy....

if you dont know your plants sex and want to... take a clone with about 2 nodes on it... pop it under 12/12 for a few weeks and find out what tha sex is... if its F... clone that girl over and over agin... if you keep takeing clones from tha same plant it will stay short and get really bushy... so not only do you have as many F clones as you want or need... but you also have a short and really bushy mother that will produce a high yeild when U decide to bud her... U can keep her in veg for a LONG time taking clones off of her.. not sure exactly how long but at least 5 or 6 months if you want

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Plant1Clones 01.jpg

Plant1Clones 02.jpg

Plant1Clones 03.jpg

the 2 clones are 3 weeks old in the pix... with about 1 weeks worth of nutes... the cloner i made has 4 holes in it because i plan on growing them all thru veg and flower in the same bubbler... theres only 2 clones because i cloned 2 plants and one of them happend 2 be a M =( so i trashed tha 2 clones from the M plant...

crintonator said:
shuggy you should 2-3 cuttings from each plant. Put those cuttings in either rockwool cubes, dirt, or cloner in about 1 to 2 weeks youll have a good root structure, transfer one cutting of each different kind of plant you have and put them in flower room or box, within a week or two they will show sex i.e. balls or hairs now you know sex of your plants and can either take one of the cuttings you made earlier and keep the original mom in veg along with any cuttings you dont want to flower. Also let me add throw away the males and all corresponding cuttings. This method gives you a mother, clones, and sexed plants within a month or so, then you never worry about it till you grow with seed again.
is 2-3 cuttings "all" i should take from each plant to clone, i was under the impression that you can take up to 13 clones "max", from each plant?cheers Crintonator,
thanx for the feedback man.:confused:

Bleek187 said:
i did clones in rock wool... not bad .. but im gonna tell U ... build U a bubbler for cloning... its the best and easyest way 2 go.. get some tupperware... put some airstones in the bottom.. pop U some holes in tha top.. drop Ur clones in tha holes... fill tha water up a few inches below the bottom of your clones... turn on tha pump... the end... no nutes no nothing.. for tha first like 3 or 4 days keep a dome over the clones and mist them once or 2ce a day.. after that U can drop light down on them and leave tha dome off.. after about 2 weeks Ull have a big nice root system that is all in tha water... add your nutes and let them babys grow.. simple and easy....

if you dont know your plants sex and want to... take a clone with about 2 nodes on it... pop it under 12/12 for a few weeks and find out what tha sex is... if its F... clone that girl over and over agin... if you keep takeing clones from tha same plant it will stay short and get really bushy... so not only do you have as many F clones as you want or need... but you also have a short and really bushy mother that will produce a high yeild when U decide to bud her... U can keep her in veg for a LONG time taking clones off of her.. not sure exactly how long but at least 5 or 6 months if you want
hey dude, is that just a box,pump and air stones?
do you mean to add nutes to the water already in the tupperware,hydro-style,Or can you take them out for a soil grow?
if that`s all there is to "hydro growing", i might give it a shot.:cool:
:stoned: :bong1: :stoned:

Latest posts

Back