Bunch o' questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatty91

Reaction score
Ok I started growing a plant I believe it's been a month(I havnt been keepin track) I started with 1 13 watt cfl then switched to 2 13 watters when the plant was had 2 sets of leaves I just switche today to 2 26 watt cfls so I'm hoping my plant likes that. Plant is about 5 inches high right now with 4 sets of leaves. Now for the questions:

I am growing out of a gallon milk jug is that to small?

Some of the stems are sorta red/purple is that bad?

When should I switch to 12/12 cycle? Does it have to be 12/12 or could I go say 14/10 or 16/8?

I understand why ppl get rid of male plants so that they don't pollenate the females but I'm only growing one plant so if it is a male will it still produce smokeable weed?

I have leaves growing at all the places the stem meets the branches *** I havnt seen this in any pictures?

I do believe that is it for questions for now

If its a male I would not smoke it. Kill it and start another. I grow at least 3 to 5 seed to get any choice.

12/12 is the best cycle for flowering.

yeah start more than 1seed next time, you would want to give her maximum light for flowering, if you're going all the way through flowering with cfl's you would need to flower it early, it should be soon the plant would show sex by preflowers. i suggest you get some HPS for good flowring ;) cheers

Fatty91 said:
Ok I started growing a plant I believe it's been a month(I havnt been keepin track) I started with 1 13 watt cfl then switched to 2 13 watters when the plant was had 2 sets of leaves I just switche today to 2 26 watt cfls so I'm hoping my plant likes that. Plant is about 5 inches high right now with 4 sets of leaves. Now for the questions:

I am growing out of a gallon milk jug is that to small?

Some of the stems are sorta red/purple is that bad?

When should I switch to 12/12 cycle? Does it have to be 12/12 or could I go say 14/10 or 16/8?

I understand why ppl get rid of male plants so that they don't pollenate the females but I'm only growing one plant so if it is a male will it still produce smokeable weed?

I have leaves growing at all the places the stem meets the branches *** I havnt seen this in any pictures?

I do believe that is it for questions for now

You are going to need way, way, way, way more light and some ventilation.

A general rule of thumb is 1 gal of soil for every foot in height. You do not want your plants in clear containers. It is detrimental to root growth.

Red/purple stems usually denote nutrient deficiencies or too cold temps.

12/12 for flowering.

Males are not good for smoking.

It would really help if you could post pics.

Fatty91 said:

Very normal. These will turn into branches themselves.

Like the goddess said, you need way more light, ventilation and pictures.

Hey Fatty...a cpl things for starters...
You shld strive for 3000 lumens a sqr foot for vegging and 5000 a sqr foot for flowering...
Use dark containers for pots...you don't want the roots exposed to light...
you need good circulation and ventilation in your grow space...you need to exchange the air in the grow area a cpl times a minute...it will require a fan.
Other then breeding males are worthless...

Thanks guys for the info. And about needed more light the two bulbs I have are 100watt equivalent a piece so that's 200watts and they are 1750 lumens a piece so the adds up to shy 3500 lumens and with only one plantthe area is quite small. Do I really NEED more light or will I be ok with what I got I'm gonna go find a diff contanier

Fatty91 said:
Thanks guys for the info. And about needed more light the two bulbs I have are 100watt equivalent a piece so that's 200watts and they are 1750 lumens a piece so the adds up to shy 3500 lumens and with only one plantthe area is quite small. Do I really NEED more light or will I be ok with what I got I'm gonna go find a diff contanier

how small an area? 1x1? cause 3,500 lumen should be acceptable for a 1x1 veg room,
plus I'm not sure if you should use the wattage equivalent as useful info cause its more for comparing brightness, meaning that a 23 watt cfl is about as bright as a 100 watt incandescent, its not really 200 watts, its like 46 watts or whatever

Get you a square 4 or 5 gallon bucket-drill drainage holes in bottom, put about 2 inch of rocks in the bottom. Then go to the dollar store and get you a cheap kitty pan for it to sit in-should work.
I use square kitty litter buckets-about 3 gallon.

A 1 gallon container could possibly work if you are growing an autoflowering dwarf.

Gb

GeezerBudd said:
...I use square kitty litter buckets-about 3 gallon....
Gb
is it those yellow tidy cats buckets? if so they are 5 gallon, I know this because I plan to use them in my next grow, so i measured them, yellow 35 pound tidy cats pail holds 5 gallons of water, but I planned to set them on the lid for runoff

But isn't brightness all that matters because watts it just the measure of energy used right?

Hey there Fatty91!

"Brightness" to the human eye and "brightness" for a plant are 2 different things.

3500 lumens for 1 plant will cause growth- but you will be very disappointed in the results.

Exactly how are you providing this light to the plants? Just 2 bulbs over the plant?

Fatty91 said:
But isn't brightness all that matters because watts it just the measure of energy used right?

No, brightness doesn't count at all. And equivalent wattage doesn't mean anything either. What counts is lumens and spectrum. For vegging, you want 3000 lumens per sq ft and something in the 6500K range. For flowering, you want 5000 lumens per sq ft and something in the 3000K range. And, just for your information, lumen for lumen, fluoros cost more to purchase initially, cost more to operate every single month, put out more heat, and produce substantially less bud than a HPS.

Yep. Spend some dough and grow some sic dank. That's what I would do. Spend 2 weeks reading 100's of posts. Order some
equip, holla with questions.

Haha I don't have any money to spend really but I am finding some 400wat hps bulbs for like $10 but I don't have anyway to order them. Do any major retailers sell hps bulbs?

Fatty, I think I see your deal. All the advice about bigger lights and air circ and whatnot is very solid, but it seems to me you are not yet ready, or able, to take this large of a step. Does this mean you shouldn't grow dope at all? Or don't deserve to grow dope at all? Of course not. In good faith you should be willing to do some things to improve your situation, but to us, a challenge is a challenge. That being said, what kind of budget are you working with? And what kind of place? If you are very honest here, you open yourself up to some world class advice. You won't be growing dankity buds here, but you will learn, and you may even walk away with some self-produced smokable weed in the end.

So what kind of beans are we working with here? And how many do you have left? And can you afford to buy more right now?

I have seen some surprizing things under cfl's. Not that I would run out and try, but if it were all I had, I would come here and ask for help and make it work... So that's where we are. If it's cfl's for you, how many can you afford to buy right now?

What kind of soil are you using? And can you afford to buy some right now?

What nutes do you have? Can you afford to buy some right now?

Please do list what you have at your disposal and your current budget. There are many wise people here that can help, but you have got to give them an idea of what they have to work with;)

Ok right now in my closet I have 1 plant( don't know what kind a friend just gave me a bag of a bunch of seeds) it is planted in 2 gallons of mircalgrow soil my closet doors are like the old shutters ppl used to put in houses so it breaths some I do have a fan in my closet that I turn on when the bulbs get real hot as for size In my closet well I'm using the back cornor got my clothes inthe other side the total area of my closet it prolly 2x10 but the area I have the plant takes up no more than 2x2 I havnt seprated it from the rest of my closet witch I have been thinking bout doing I do have some cardboard boxes in the garage I could cut up and make a wall with but I also am trying to hide this from my parents as for budget well I got $25 in my wallet and that's about it thanks for all the help guys

The smell will let your parents know what you're doing I would imagine? If you are going to get in trouble for growing your own plant why bother?

I understand wanting to, and I probably could where I am now, but I am not willing to risk anything just for the sake of growing a plant. Why don't you just wait a couple years until you are out on your own and then grow it the right way.

I think you might just get frustrated at the results and work involved especially if your 'rents find out and snatch the plant. If you are going to continue though, take the advice from others here. From what I have seen they know what they are talking about.

I just don't want to see someone go through a bunch of stuff just to either NOT have it in the end, or get so frustrated they don't like it because they simply weren't ready for the work. Just trying to save you hassle my man.

for 25$ theres not much you can do, you would better add every single cfl you have already in the closet and start flowering when plant is still small, you wont get much but still you would get some bud. save some cash for HPS and exhaust fan. it is a possibility that growing is not suitable for you. think of it, you're risking too much for too little, you will still be buying buds and growing at the same time and growing in your parents house is hard to conceal from them. for a decent grow you would need to have fans and lights and some completely private space

Latest posts

Back