Cloned a Flowering Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedCola

Reaction score
Ill keep this short and simple :) If you clone a flowering plant (one outside that I found) and put it under 24h light, will it go back to vegetative, or is there no going back once it starts flowering?

The clone is over a foot tall at this point but it still has the pistils at every "branch" thats grown out. I wasnt sure if this was good or bad (still starting out) because the ones I have started from bagseed are a month old and havent shown any sign of sex yet.

Dont worry it will re-veg, I re-veg regularly now plants are thicker and the final product is still the same quality. It actually increased my harvest by about 20%. Good luck and remember;
" Some Dragons live forever "

how do you go about the re-veg process?Can u flower to harvest and then re-veg?or do you just clone a flowering plant and re-veg the clone?or both?

I let them flower for about 2 weeks and then then re-veg, each flower will turn into muti-stemmed shoots, thats at about 18-24in I start the flowering, re-veg for 2-3wks or untill the plant reachs the desired hieght and has filled out nice and thick with leaf, then back to flower.
One note when doing this, your re-veg point will still keep some of that early flower that will die during the prosses, this you will need to trim off as it dies.
The first time it happened to me was an accident, but the result so impressed me that I've done it twice since then and am very happy :ccc: with the controled outcome.

Yes, you can take a plant to harvest, harvest about 2/3 of the plant and put it back into vegging light and it will reveg. This is stressful on the plants and they don't always make it. It would also be very stressful to flower for 2 weeks and then put back into veg and I am not sure that I see the reason for this. If you want multi-stemmed shoots, you can use some advanced training techniques while they are in veg and achieve the same thing in less time without stressing the plant so much.

How large a clone did you cut? Is it rooted? You can take clones from flowering plants, but the further it is into flowering, the harder it will be for the clone to root and it will also take longer. The hormones change after a plant is put into flowering.

Im not sure how far into flowering it was but Im pretty sure it was quite early, because there werent any signs of buds on the plant yet. However, its not my plant that I cloned, its a friends' parents' plant that I know is great (not sure what type it is though). The clone, now, is about a foot tall, and Im afraid to disturb the roots in fear of hurting it, but its grown quite a bit since I planted it, and its a healthy dark green.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Yes, you can take a plant to harvest, harvest about 2/3 of the plant and put it back into vegging light and it will reveg. This is stressful on the plants and they don't always make it. It would also be very stressful to flower for 2 weeks and then put back into veg and I am not sure that I see the reason for this. If you want multi-stemmed shoots, you can use some advanced training techniques while they are in veg and achieve the same thing in less time without stressing the plant so much.

How large a clone did you cut? Is it rooted? You can take clones from flowering plants, but the further it is into flowering, the harder it will be for the clone to root and it will also take longer. The hormones change after a plant is put into flowering.

You know i've come to believe that you can do almost anyting to a marijuana plant *once* and it not cause the stress level to be so great that it hermies. Do even someting kinda small *twice* and it hermies if it can. I sort out my standard seeds by germing in 12/12, and letting them get a fourth set of leaves then transfering them into veg, because they sex then or soon after, and i don't have to waste a ton of time and energy on growing out males. They then just veg, like normal. One interesting adaptation is that about 80% of my plants then emerge as tri-ploid plants, maybe more. This is good with me, because they are easier to put outside if they look unlike a pot plant, ya know.

do you guys keep high humidity on your clones or no? what temps? and how about the mediums moisture? thanks. also whats a good time frame for roots to show on a regegged flowering plant?

Hi Loola..

Your temps are great around 80 for clones but you could get it more humid if it's easy to do... Clones definitely like higher humidity levels... Rockwool moist but not dripping wet... every couple of days *lightly* water...

:cool:

dirty, i want in your local 420 union, how can i join? lol humidity is tough in my cab. i was going to take serane wrap and cover the plastic containers they are in, but how will they breathe? and if i spray water in there and keep the wrap open a little the temps climb. hmm??? just smoked some meds, feelin nice.

I found the best way for my clones is to stick em in rooting cubes within a 7inch humidity dome and spray the cubes thoroughly once a day with a rooting solution. I've had 100 percent success. By the way, t5's rock!!

SkunkPatronus said:
One interesting adaptation is that about 80% of my plants then emerge as tri-ploid plants, maybe more. This is good with me, because they are easier to put outside if they look unlike a pot plant, ya know.

trip·loid play_w2("T0366400") (tr
ibreve.gif
p
prime.gif
loid
lprime.gif
)adj. Having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus:
hXXp://www.thefreedictionary.com/triploids

I don't believe you have "changed" the number of chromosomes, by "revegging".
from Clarks "MJ botany"
Polyploidy
Polyploidy is the condition of multiple sets of chromosomes within one cell. Cannabis has 20 chromosomes in the vegetative diploid (2n) condition. Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes and are termed polyploids. It is believed that the haploid condition of 10 chromosomes was likely derived by reduction from a higher (polyploid) ancestral number (Lewis, W. H. 1980). Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in Cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments. Colchicine is a poisonous compound extracted from the roots of certain Colchicum species; it inhibits chromosome segregation to daughter cells and cell wall formation, resulting in larger than average daughter cells with multiple chromosome sets.

"Whorled phyllotaxi" maybe??... hXXp://www.math.smith.edu/phyllo//About/Classification.html

Hick said:
hXXp://www.thefreedictionary.com/triploids

I don't believe you have "changed" the number of chromosomes, by "revegging".
from Clarks "MJ botany"

"Whorled phyllotaxi" maybe??... hXXp://www.math.smith.edu/phyllo//About/Classification.html

I think that it must be a widley used name for in inaccurate state i guess, triploid leaf sets are three-lobed leaves, as most people know them by. In tree's when odd colour bands or lobe number changes show up, they investigate the suspected ploidy level of them, and they usually show up sterile and triploid... and in maples, they usually have the three lobes. Maybe that's where the name came from, but i didn't mean to tell you that in my pot that i affected it's genetics in any way. What i did do is mess with it's development, you get it caught on it's third set of leaves and make it make only those from then on. It looks like a triploid maple, the one with the three lobes.

Actually, What i had responded to was the stress level factor, and i was pointing out that you can do almost anything to the plant that *one* time and it keeps on growing well, including stopping the usual grow pattern of the whole damned plant, and it doesn't hermie.

And i didn't do it by revegging, i did it by more of a shock vegging. Revegging would refer to reentering a state it had already been in, and it hadn't ever been in veg yet. I would think in nature it would be like putting a plant out in janurary and it happened to survive, but the season is still less than 12/12 of light for another month(winter equinox), then the days lengthen to 12/12 and then lengthen into an actual summer and back to 12/12 at summer equinox.

frankcos said:
how do you go about the re-veg process?Can u flower to harvest and then re-veg?or do you just clone a flowering plant and re-veg the clone?or both?

cloning a flowering plant is no difference than cloning one that is in vegetations...the only difference i have found is that it takes a bit loner to take root ....but besdies that--its all about the same...once it takes root u can clip the buds off if it still has them, thats what i did

SpikedCola said:
its a healthy dark green.

:) if she's growing, she's already well rooted my friend

What kind of light are you using?

destroyer

A 430w HPS, about 8" above the canopy. There are a few pictures in my gnat thread, and Ill be sure to post more when we move them into their own dedicated room :)

Latest posts

Back