cloneing problems /questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick909

Reaction score
i guess ill start off by saying high! this my first post on this board but have reffered to it for relyable information many times.

i'll start with the problems im having while cloneing. the plant i am cloneing is a afghani kush X yumbolt from world of seeds and is abuot 4 months old
i clone using root riot cubes , clonex rooting gell, humidity dome , full spec cfl, heating pad, 6.5 ph water.

its my first time trying to take clones, first cuttings i took i made my final cuts under water at 45 then splitting stem quarter inch. let cutting sit in clonex for 20-25 seconds then into root riot cubes. clippings didnt wilt in dome i did notice 1 stem swelling near cube . after about 2 weeks of still no sign of roots , i got pissed an tore cubes apart searching for roots , found none .
so i figured it could be a temp issue . i went down picked up a heating mat an moved setup to a lil warmer room with the pad under dome , ttok another 4 clippings (curs always made under water) . godda start new post

First, :welcome: to Marijuana Passion, mick909. It's great to have you here.

I've heard of (tho never encountered personally) some strains could take up to a month to throw roots, mine throw within 10-14 daze. What are your current temps in the dome?

good luck on yer cloning adventure.

:peace:,

p.s. I never use a heating mat but then again I have a heater in the Veg room when it's the cold seasons (under 60degree's fahrenheit).

clones wilted over night an died i assumed it was a temp prob just hot not cold this time. so about 2 days ago i took 2 more cuttings , opened new clonex gell just incase it was contaminated . clones look good i turn on pad for 1-2 hrs at night when it gets a lil cooler mysting few times a day . i would like to get this right b4 my gdp an girl scout cookies seeds come in.

my questions are,
1. is there anything i need to watch for during rooting?
2. do i spray the cubes and keep em moist or let get a lil dry?
3. if my cubes dry b4 i use em do i just soak in ph 'ed water?

thx 4 ur time

7greeneyes said:
First, :welcome: to Marijuana Passion, mick909. It's great to have you here.

I've heard of (tho never encountered personally) some strains could take up to a month to throw roots, mine throw within 10-14 daze. What are your current temps in the dome?

good luck on yer cloning adventure.

:peace:,

p.s. I never use a heating mat but then again I have a heater in the Veg room when it's the cold seasons (under 60degree's fahrenheit).

75-80 itry to keep cubes around 75 degs.

I'm a soil cloner but here, lemme see.

I always make sure the soil doesn't dry out at all when they are in the medium.

I spritz them 1-2 times daily (and don't soak them) and then after a week will remove the top for an hour to see if they wilt. If they begin to wilt, U put the dome back on. If they don't they can go domeless for another week till you see roots comin out the bottom. Then to their new homes (bigger pot).

75 degrees is a good temp for them, imo.

p.s. My water is at a ph of 6.5-7.0, never had problems with that but I'm sure proper ph'd water is a good thing for'em.

Your plant is 4 months old? Is it flowering? Clones taken from plants in flowering will take longer to root than clones cut while the plant is in veg. What part of the plant are you taking the clones from? The growing tips at the bottom of the plant generally root easier than those taken from the top. Temps are very important. Clones do not want or need very much light. What size CFL are you using?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Your plant is 4 months old? Is it flowering? Clones taken from plants in flowering will take longer to root than clones cut while the plant is in veg. What part of the plant are you taking the clones from? The growing tips at the bottom of the plant generally root easier than those taken from the top. Temps are very important. Clones do not want or need very much light. What size CFL are you using?

my mother is under 1000 watt MH in my 5x5 x7 mylar tent on 18 - 6 lighting
clones r under 2 15 watt full spec sunshine cfl i had around on 24 hrs

I recommend a weak nute solution being wicked in by the root riot cubes -- never let them dry-out. Put them under the dome (close vents) and spray them twice a day -- morning and night. Ignore them the rest of the time and leave the dome closed. I believe most folks worry their clones too much. I have a near 100% success rate with cloning and use root riot cubes as well. I cut open the cubes and pre-hormone inside them as well by dipping a stick into the hormone and then into the cube where the clone end will be. I also scarify the end of the cutting some. Mostly it's a waiting game and takes some patience -- as does most aspects of growing dankness -- good luck.

Peace

That sounds like it is just a difficult strain to clone. I am having the same problem right now with the Larry OG Kush. I have done everything that I can think of, and I have cuttings in a bubble cloner and in the rooter cubes. I finally got a few to root after losing a couple dozen, and it took 3 full weeks for them to finally root. I have noticed that if you see the stem begin to swell and turn white with little bumps then it is just about to throw roots.

The only thing I do different is I keep my air temp 78-80f and my water also close to 80f(but not over 80f with either). I also don't use a dome as my humidity is usually around 60% and with the bubbler there is no need for extra moisture. My rooter cubes are sitting on top of clay pebbles(Hydroton) that I keep soaked in water with clonex solution so that they don't dry out too quick. I hope this helps you :)

BTW: Welcome to The Passion :) if you ever need any advice, just ask, can't promise that its good advice, but we try :)

thx all , i will let these clones go for a while ill update in a few days on them and check replys for info. im just hopeful it was a temp issue or contaminated clonex.

HemperFi said:
I recommend a weak nute solution being wicked in by the root riot cubes -- never let them dry-out. Put them under the dome (close vents) and spray them twice a day -- morning and night. Ignore them the rest of the time and leave the dome closed. I believe most folks worry their clones too much. I have a near 100% success rate with cloning and use root riot cubes as well. I cut open the cubes and pre-hormone inside them as well by dipping a stick into the hormone and then into the cube where the clone end will be. I also scarify the end of the cutting some. Mostly it's a waiting game and takes some patience -- as does most aspects of growing dankness -- good luck.

Peace

nute solution as in veg nutes? i saw some clonex mist at discount hydro , think it a new item i hadent seen it b4 , would that be better then the solution?

Clonex is good, I also spray with a sea kelp extract mixed with water, as it contains vital hormones, and gibberellins needed in the rooting process. Also try lowering your ph a lil bit, I have better success when my ph is between 5.7-5.9. Temps between 75-80 deg. never more. I am also using a cloning machine!

I typically will not give up on a clone until it falls over and dies. I have had some that look like they won't make it another day but they hang on long enough to finally throw roots and come back to life.

I wouldn't use any veg nutes in my cloning process. The Clonex solution has everything that is needed for the cuttings. As soon as I see roots I add some root tonic called "Root66" to help them get going but until they have roots, any veg nutes are useless as the cutting can't absorb them without roots, and the cutting should have the "veg" growth "paused" so that it can switch over to rooting. That is the reason that you want low power lighting and very few leaves. I only have 3-4 leaves on my cuttings and if they are big leaves, I cut the tips off some so that there is less "veg" activity. :)

I agree with hushpuppy, if you want to add anything to the solution, it's super thrive, it contains vitamin b1, which helps with the rooting as well, but veg nutes can have negative affects as hush said. The object is to keep them clinging to life til they throw roots!

day 6 and they look good ....kmock on wood! adjusted ph to 6 , RH 85% , medium and air 75 degs , also forgot to mention the rapid start i mix in water in first post, ive also read i can use some of my black label A/B veg in verry small ammounts . i was told it has the proper hormones in it 4 rooting. not gonna try it yrt tho, gonna wait another day pop top and see if they wilt .

few more questions tho
im practicing my super cropping methods on my mothers , will that effect my clones when it comes 2 rooting/ not rooting?

how long do i use rapid start, till i transplant or till they root ?

when i bought kit it came with 50 root riot plugs in a tray and i bought 2x 100count bags + 2 bottles of clonex with it, and i want to use the 50 first but they r dry, do i soak in ph'ed water/ small solution of rapid start / clonex?

last of all if mediums with cuttings dry in propagater do i mist them?

thx for the great info

First off, no super cropping will not affect your cuttings, what is important is to take cuttings from the bottom of the plant, the closer to the top you get, they contain a hormone called auxins, which slows root production, also new veg has a thinner skin on the stem for roots to develop faster,

I'm not familiar with rapid start but I don't use anything but water, til I see some growth, but I do throw a handful of worm castings per gallon of soil in my soil mix for cuttings as well as mycorrhizae and perlite. So the castings feed ever so slightly til growth starts, then I transfer to FFOF and super soil in my smart pots.

Yes soak em in ph'ed water and always always always keep your medium moist, or the roots will burn up and die!

Latest posts

Back