Eastern Australia First Grow Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeepsTen said:
I experienced the same thing. I had them in the humid box for the first 4 or 5 days over the weekend, and when I came home, they had stretched real bad.

From what ive read, this is how they will permanently be. They will not grow thicker (than usual) to compensate for the stretch, so itd be best to either harvest smaller, or use some support (which is what ive done)

Someone suggested a plant yoyo, looks really cool, and easy. They are also pretty cheap, but right now, ive just got em supported on my drip stakes (not pretty, but its working)
Yeah there's no way this thing could cope with the wind at the moment.

If it doesn't appear to strengthen, then I'll stick a few cocktail sticks in there somewhere! ... :D

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Pc fans are extremely easy to hook up. They are a great way of keeping flouros cool and providing some air flow. Hope all goes well with you wayyyy over in Australia :).
Yeah I'm gonna build sommit soon.

Ok, a fresh pic, but also a bit of a concern if anyone can put me at ease?

The plant is growing well from what I see ... APART from this little yellow patch ... :confused:

Should I be worried?

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Hey there, lookin good. Your plant looks like an interesting, potent strain. :). I don't think that yellow-orange thing is anything to worry over. Could be that your plant might have been too close to the lights on that side or could be nutrients... I dunno, I'm no expert haha.

I was watching the weather channel... seems eastern australia has been having some sort of hurricane weather??? Luckily they said it has been dieing down so hopefully you can put your baby outside soon.

Well, I recently pinched my stems as well as put a fan on em. They are pretty stiff now, and standing strong. Maybe try that if you havent yet.

Cooled the room down too.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Hey there, lookin good. Your plant looks like an interesting, potent strain. :). I don't think that yellow-orange thing is anything to worry over. Could be that your plant might have been too close to the lights on that side or could be nutrients... I dunno, I'm no expert haha.

I was watching the weather channel... seems eastern australia has been having some sort of hurricane weather??? Luckily they said it has been dieing down so hopefully you can put your baby outside soon.
Well I'm hoping the plant is from the seed I found in me fav supply. I've got a few from here and there, but it would be super nice if it was!

Yeah hurricane Hamish has been battering the eastern side for a few days, but thankfully it hasn't touched these parts yet, just a lot of wind at the mo.

Once she's looking a bit stronger, she'll get a taste of the sunshine that's fa sure ... :)

KeepsTen said:
Well, I recently pinched my stems as well as put a fan on em. They are pretty stiff now, and standing strong. Maybe try that if you havent yet.

Cooled the room down too.
Haven't piched, but had a PC fan blowing nearby since last night. I've set it up so it only wabbles the plant, not blows it all over the place.

I'm sure the fan will help with circulation too so gotta be a good thing ... :)

Day 23

A new pic.

Well this is certainly the biggest plant I've ever grown, and crossing everything she (hopefully ?!) continues.

The PC fan in the background I'm sure it strengthening the ole girl, and if it wasn't for the fact we've currently got crap weather, she'd be tasting some good Aussie sunshine!

I've LOVE to know the strain, but I guess we'll never know.

It's sitting under a 28w flouro 24/7 and I'm just wondering how long before inducing flowering ... another 3 or 4 weeks? ... :confused:

Cheers

Untitled-2.jpg

Wow smoko, she's looking beautiful! I'd give her at least 3 weeks before flowering. Do you plan on cloning at all by any chance?

You just gotta remember theyll have a growth spurt in the first two weeks or so as they climb for lights and begin to prepare to flower.

From what ive read, good time to be giving them max nutes, and try to get it to branch as much as possible.

Looks beautiful, glad its gotten a lot better.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Wow smoko, she's looking beautiful! I'd give her at least 3 weeks before flowering. Do you plan on cloning at all by any chance?

KeepsTen said:
You just gotta remember theyll have a growth spurt in the first two weeks or so as they climb for lights and begin to prepare to flower.

From what ive read, good time to be giving them max nutes, and try to get it to branch as much as possible.

Looks beautiful, glad its gotten a lot better.
Yeah she's (still gotta say hopefully with regard to she) goin good aye! ... :)

Cloning I'd like to do, but to be honest at this stage don't know.

I felt beneath the top soil this morn and the soil was dry a good few inches down so have just gave her a good watering, she'll enjoy that hopefully.

I'm in no rush really so will mabye give another 4 weeks till we start flowering. I might pick up some 65w (equal to 230w they reckon) flouro's over the weekend. I'm sure the 28w it sits under is prob coming to the end of it's service, but dunno, all seems to be goin ok so maybe it'll do till she goes out into the big wide world!

Today I woke to sunshine and gave my babies a dose! ... well I tried!

After a few hours my poor recovering one had almost blown over again! ... :( ... and my prize possession, it's leaves had started to curl up! ... :confused:

Do you think my plants are alergic to sunshine? ... :eek: :rofl:

Seriously tho, I'm still to scared to put it out in the sun, or rather the wind! ... so have upgraded my indoor setup today.

They're currently sitting under 2 x 48w flouro's (equiv to 240w Incandescent it reckons ?!?!) and a larger reflector.

The top of the plants are now about 5" (3" before) from the end of the bulb, I didn't want to go too close to start with.

Anyway, a couple of pics.

140320091112.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Just wondering if it's worth bumping the thread ... :confused:

Doesn't seem to be a lot goin on here, maybe time to find a forum ... :(

they need so much more light then that.
so much more.
throw in another like, 5 of those bulbs...
dont bother with thinking about that equivalent to how ever many watts.
doesnt mean anything forget it.
look at the lumens. lumens is light output.
your trying to get the most lumens with the least amount of wattage.
more light.

Yeah, you need more lights. That may work for starting them, but it wont cut it for a larger one.

Are you giving them any nutrients? whats your feeding cycle? Not really sure why your leaves would curl.

The sun burned the leaves. They weren't used to max amount of sun based light. You need to harden them off, so to speak. First day in the sun, 1/2 hour with some wind protection, next day 45 minutes and so on. 2 weeks of hardening off usually does it for plants grown indoors that are going to be planted out. If you just want to give yours good light, same deal. Build up to it.

I'd love to put the plant outside in the sun all day, but for many reasons it's just not worth the risk, hence the attempt indoors. Well, for now anyway.

Ok, the slowly slowly approach with the sun makes perfect sense, thanks, I'll go easy from now and hopefully give it some REAL light over the next week or two.

No nutrients added apart from the ones that came in the potting mix it started life in.

I've been watering every 3 to 5 days of recent.

I've now transported into a new tub, with some new soil and obv nutrients it comes with. We've read up on how on here and I reckon the transportation was a success ... :)

Will give her some more room to breath and grow I hope.

A few pics.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Some more pics for anyone interested.

Ok, well the plant has made it to a month old! ... :woohoo:

We've got 10 or 11 nodes now, and the plant is producing it's 2nd set of 9 fingered leaves ... :eek:

It's 6" tall.

Still sitting under a 48w flouro by about 3" and light is on 24/7.

It's seeing absolutely no darkness yet, and over the last few days it's had 30 odd mins of sunlight too! We hope to increase this over the next week or so to include at least a few hours in the sun.

Still undecided with a few things, maybe someone can help?

1) So far it's only had the nutes that come with the soil. We've recently moved to a bigger pot with fresh soil, so we guess that there will be an injection of nutes goin on now. These won't last forever, so we're wondering when to start adding some ?!

2) How much longer to veg for? I'm thinking the longer we hold out, the bigger the plant will be, and in turn the more the yield will be, but at the same time the bigger the beast will be! ... the more it will smell etc etc ... :eek: :D

Oh and one last one! ... what ARE these things?

Pic 5 - the little hairs (as the boy calls em!) ... 2 opposite every node!

:confused:

Any help and advice most appreciated ... :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I think theres a point where you reach negative returns on your bud as well, so not soooo big. Or at least in potency. But, if youve got only one plant and want a lot, then go for it.

Its coming a lot okay for now. If you want it to get that big, what kind of lights you gonna put it in?

Smoko said:
Oh and one last one! ... what ARE these things?

Pic 5 - the little hairs (as the boy calls em!) ... 2 opposite every node!

:confused:

Any help and advice most appreciated ... :)

Those are normal and are present on both male and female plants... when you flower them and they sex you will either get little balls or very fine hairs if female... Nice looking plants though

Your baby is going to get bigger and bigger, just you wait! Crazy little bugger you got there, eheh. I think you'd be fine not giving any nutes for at least another couple of weeks, honestly but I could be wrong. My plants are doing fine and they havn't had any nutes for over two months now. But maybe adding nutrients could speed growth up a bit, so it might not be so bad of an idea.

Personally, I'd let her veg longer and take some cuttings and have an even bigger harvest. When you're satisfied with the amount of clones you want, you can flower her after. Well, this is generally what I do. Ever since I started cloning, Ive never looked back :).
I'd flower her at maybe 2 months or so, personally. But you can flower any time you want. At your size of plant, you'd have a somewhat medium sized plant, not too big and kind of small perhaps. I'd let her do her thing a while longer. All personal opinion, of course :). Happy growing man.

KeepsTen said:
what kind of lights you gonna put it in?
I'm hoping to be giving it a BIG dose of that light, you know the one ... big yellow thing that hovers in the sky during the day ... :D

Well, that and some top up with flouro's I guess.

Hamster Lewis said:
Those are normal and are present on both male and female plants... when you flower them and they sex you will either get little balls or very fine hairs if female... Nice looking plants though
Yeah and if it has balls, get it as far away as possible right?

Thanks

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Your baby is going to get bigger and bigger, just you wait! Crazy little bugger you got there, eheh. I think you'd be fine not giving any nutes for at least another couple of weeks, honestly but I could be wrong. My plants are doing fine and they havn't had any nutes for over two months now. But maybe adding nutrients could speed growth up a bit, so it might not be so bad of an idea.

Personally, I'd let her veg longer and take some cuttings and have an even bigger harvest. When you're satisfied with the amount of clones you want, you can flower her after. Well, this is generally what I do. Ever since I started cloning, Ive never looked back :).
I'd flower her at maybe 2 months or so, personally. But you can flower any time you want. At your size of plant, you'd have a somewhat medium sized plant, not too big and kind of small perhaps. I'd let her do her thing a while longer. All personal opinion, of course :). Happy growing man.
Yeah I don't really want anything TOO big! Well, it's just it will need to be transported daily from outside to in as we'll lose daylight hours soon. In 5 days we go 12/12 here and then lose mins as the days go on. We want to try and keep on the 12/12 cycle for a bit so will top up with the flouro's.

I'd like to clone it if a female, but will need to seek advice on how, if and when the time arrives ?!? Is it hard?

Thanks

Well some more pics. NOT heaps goin on now, but thought I'd show some pics of Daddy, Mummy, and Baby MJ ... :)

Biggest of the bunch (Daddy) is 5 weeks 4 days today. 8.5 inches tall, and god we pray it's a 'she' ... :confused:

2nd in line (same age as Daddy) has some dodgy lookin yellow leaves to start with http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=427205#post427205 ... but seems to be fine now ... :watchplant:

and Baby is about a week old.

We had a few diff seeds from here and there, but the majority came from our fav supply, and I'm thinking they're all the same ... :confused:

So far so good! ... :)

220320091145.jpg

220320091150.jpg

220320091154.jpg

220320091159.jpg

Latest posts

Back