EZ cloner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmaine420

Reaction score
I just got an EZ cloner and filled it with cuttings 5 days ago. I am not seeing any signs of roots so far but the leaves look healthy. The cloning gel washed off as soon as i turned it on. Anyone use a EZ cloner? Should i put something else in the water to help establish roots? dip them in cloning gel again? Am I just being impatient?

Be patient my child...lol Really, give it some more time. If they aren't rooted by day 14 maybe we can talk.... Green mojo.

I would go with you are being impatient...but we all are when it comes to clones. I try and forget about them for 3-4 days at a time. Just let them do their thing. If they are green and healthy looking you are fine. I don't usually put cloning gel on them when I use the bubble cloner. It just washes off. As long as your temps are good and you are not giving them too much light they should show roots soon.

Agree with the other posts...mine usually take 7-10 days, depending on strain. I use cloning gel, but leave it on the cutting for 15 minutes before I stick it in the machine.

Be patient.

when doing water cloning, no point in using cloning gel... It will immediately wash off and cause bubbling/slime in your cloner.There are also soluable rooting hormones that are to be diluted in water and will work even better with water cloning machines like the EZ...Superthrive is an example.
The only thing that WILL make a difference is Root Accelerator (or Excelerator) which will help root things faster but not help success rate or overall health. The Root Excelerator will root some strains in only 3 days with a cloner and correct water temperature.
Also did you clean the pump with bleach water?

I have always used the cloning gel with my bubble cloners and with an EZ cloner with excellent results. As Bwanabud said, dip them in the gel then set them in place but don't turn on the machine until they have had 20-30minutes to soak in a little. Yeah it will wash off when turned on but it will dissolve and continue to make contact with the cuttings. I also use Clonex solution which has some good stuff in it for cloning.

This is my personal opinion that comes from MY personal experience, I prefer to keep my water temps very tightly controlled between 78-80f; air temps very close to the same and use no dome on them; Low lumen flowering spectrum lights (usually a single 4'T5HO in 3000k spectrum) in a 7sqft space, and I get 90-100% rooting with these conditions.

I had a friend that was having terrible results(<50%) with his EZcloner. I ffound that his water was around 74f and he had 4-4'T5 lights in 6500k spectrum over them. I raised the water temp to 79f and turned off half the lights. His next set of clones had about a 95% success and he continued to have 75-95% success when he maintained those conditions. :)

Thanks for all the responses. i have the cloner in my veg tent under 2 t5's about 2 ft away. Hushpuppy, how do you control your water temps that accurately? Heating pad underneath? heater in the water basin?

It generally takes 10-14 days to see roots...sometimes longer. I know that the EZ Cloner probably tells you that you can get roots in 5 days or so, but in real life, I have never had that happen and I have never seen it with the peeps I know that clone. So, like Rosebud said, patience.

I have mine in atmosphere controlled space (a 2.5x3.5 cabinet) where I can maintain the air temp and water temp real close. It takes some work and practice to get it controlled right, but I also put a ffish tank heater in it and a meat thermometer sticks through one of the cloner holes so that I can constantly watch it. My buddy has a heater that came with his that was made to stay inside it. You really have to play with them and keep adjusting until you get the method down.

With some strains you can see roots begin to develop very quick, (the earliest I have ever had root growth begin was about 5-6days) but actual full, good growth is going to take several weeks with average strains. I typically plan to have my cuttings in the cloner 3-4weeks before transplanting so that they get good root ball going. :)

I have a bottle of General organics bio root which says its appropriate for seedlings and cuttings. Anyone think adding this to the water is a good or bad idea?

thanks hushpuppy! picked up a aquarium heater that is supposed to keep it at 78 degrees. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Yeah I think that Bio-root will be ffine for that. Iff it gives you a regimen ffor using it in a cloner, then go by that. If not then I would use about 3ml per gallon off water.

On the aquarium heater, make sure it is one that can be submerged in water as some don't do well in the application of the EZcloner due to it being a constant spray of water within the housing, which will keep the heater control knob at the top soaked. Iff it is a regular heater then you may want to rig up a plastic bag with rubber bands to go over the control knob to protect it from soaking. :)

98% of every thread I have ever read talk about the units making too much heat. This thread talks about adding an aquarium heater?

I use a 30 site as well and have never once ever had any kind of issues with cool water and needing a heater.

That said I root "most" strains in about 5 to 7 days...

Unless you live in Antarctica, adding a heater to a EZ cloner just isn't needed, and excessive heat is the #1 reason people fail with these units.

When I use my daisy cloner which is the same as the ez cloner I guess, I have to use a heat mat to keep my temps around 78 degrees. Room temps 68 degrees.

I have had times when my cloner didn't need the heater to be on but I have had plenty of times when it did need to be on to maintain the 78-80f because of trying to keep the air temps in the lower 70s in the space where My cloner sat. The same was the situation with my friend who had his cloner in his central working space of his grow house. He had an AC in that space so that all the air being pulled into the flowering spaces was being taken from the central space that was cooled to 70F. Because of this he had to continually have his heater on in his EZcloner to maintain the 78-80f. I am not saying this is the "only way" to clone, but it is what works best for me and my friend. I used to have a bunch of pics that showed this but I had to destroy them when LEO visited last July. I would imagine though in some cases that the aeroponic pumps would warm the water up considerably but I have not had that problem. In the summers, I have to chill all off my hydro stuff anyway but cloner never got too warm with fan blowing on it :)

I have had times when my cloner didn't need the heater to be on but I have had plenty of times when it did need to be on to maintain the 78-80f because of trying to keep the air temps in the lower 70s in the space where My cloner sat. The same was the situation with my friend who had his cloner in his central working space of his grow house. He had an AC in that space so that all the air being pulled into the flowering spaces was being taken from the central space that was cooled to 70F. Because of this he had to continually have his heater on in his EZcloner to maintain the 78-80f. I am not saying this is the "only way" to clone, but it is what works best for me and my friend. I used to have a bunch of pics that showed this but I had to destroy them when LEO visited last July. I would imagine though in some cases that the aeroponic pumps would warm the water up considerably but I have not had that problem. In the summers, I have to chill all off my hydro stuff anyway but cloner never got too warm with fan blowing on it :)

I'll give you the cold room temps brother.

That said the temperature range is from 65 to 75 with an optimum range from 68 to 72.

It's right here in black and white: http://www.ezclone.com/media/docs/ezc_manual.pdf

I'm not saying one can't have some success running that warm, but it's not sound advise.

Trying to maintain a temp in the 78 to 80 degree mark is asking for issues and will require additives in order to keep from growing diseases.

I've also found over the years that the best additive to the water in these things is nothing at all. I use straight tap water PH'ed at 5.8 to 6.1 and change out after about 3 to 4 weeks.

I run 74 deg F, and have a heater that is thermostatically controlled...if the room is warm is doesn't run. My water out of the spigot is 51 deg F tho, thus the need for a heater...I change my water every 3 days religiously.

Well I'm sure getting a lot of contradictions here. When i took the water temp before the heater went in it was 62. Seems cold to me. I notice mention of changing the water. I'm having to add about a half gallon a day which seems extreme. Does it really evaporate that fast? Cant see any other reason for it.

I notice mention of changing the water. I'm having to add about a half gallon a day which seems extreme. Does it really evaporate that fast? Cant see any other reason for it.

Half a gallon a day? That does not sound right. Mine would go days before needing that much.

Well I'm sure getting a lot of contradictions here. When i took the water temp before the heater went in it was 62. Seems cold to me. I notice mention of changing the water. I'm having to add about a half gallon a day which seems extreme. Does it really evaporate that fast? Cant see any other reason for it.

There are 10 ways to do it right, and 100 ways to do it wrong. Once you find what works for you, stick to it. Anyone who has consistent success is doing it right, if you aren't...make a change. My way works very well, 90% ish every time, I clone 100 cuts at a time.

You should not be loosing any water, maybe it's getting out the top where the pucks are ? The pucks have to be tight, or light gets into the tray...the roots won't grow.

98% of every thread I have ever read talk about the units making too much heat. This thread talks about adding an aquarium heater?

I use a 30 site as well and have never once ever had any kind of issues with cool water and needing a heater.

That said I root "most" strains in about 5 to 7 days...

Unless you live in Antarctica, adding a heater to a EZ cloner just isn't needed, and excessive heat is the #1 reason people fail with these units.

I agree with PJ. I was having trouble and read this with the instructions.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=863653&postcount=14

Latest posts

Back