First Closet Grow w/ CFL's Only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymous

doe boy fresh
Reaction score
Hey guys whats up. I'm new to the forums here and this is actually my first post. I've been reading for a little while about growing and just as I treat my other hobbies I've become almost obsessed Very Happy Anyways I am going to attempt to grow so we will see what happens... and I will keep text/pictures of the entire process here for all to see.

The grow will be very small, 1-2 plants, and will take place in my closet, at least until/if the smell gets very strong, at which point the plants will have to move. For now I'm not sure what I'd do but it would either be attic, outside, or elsewhere. I will ONLY be using CFL's (compact fluorescent light) for the entire grow as I've seen a few successful attempts at it thus far. I am also on a budget so that will come into play. That combined with a very small space and a want for simplicity/stealth are why I'm only using CFL's. BUT, please not that even though I'm on a budget I'm not the type to skimp... except for maybe lighting here. Cool

Always open to thoughts or suggestions or even just comments so please keep them coming!

Ok well today I am getting all of the basic stuff started. Prepare soil and first pots, start germination of seeds, and set up grow room.

I made a trip to Wal-Mart then Lowe's to pick up some supplies.

So far I've bought these things:

3 x 26w CFL's (100w "equivalents," 1750 lumens each, 2700K color) - $10 Total
2x 27w CFL's (100w "equivalents," 1300 lumens each, 5500k color) - $14 Total
1 x 42w CFL (150w "equivalent," 2700 lumens, 2700K color) - $10
Bathroom Light Fixture - $10
Cord to Wire Fixture - $5
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix - $5
*w/ Weak Pre-Mix Fert. 10-5-5 Ratio
Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes 13-4-5 Ratio - $3
Spray Water Bottle - $2
Sand - Free
*Building sand I'm guessing... not from beach but found in a huge pile.
Two trays to hold my plants so water doesn't get on the floor - $2

Total = $61

I already had the following things sitting around:

Various pots and trays that will be used.
Cardboard, plastic, etc.
Perlite.
2 random house lamps.
1 13w CFL (lumens/color unknown, probably 2700K color).
Extension cords and surge protector.
Small 7" stationary fan.
Paper towels and plastic baggies for germination.
Support sticks.
Rain water.
*Note that I will be using un-tested (pH level) rain water throughout.

Basically, what is listed above is everything used in the grow except for the closet itself!

Ok... time to get to work!

The first thing that I did was mix my soil. I used a ratio of 8-1-1 soil-sand-perlite. Once this was done I left it sitting aside for about a day to get all mixed up, etc. =P

After that I put some of the soil from my main mixing bucket into some very small starter pots. I didn't pack the soil but just dropped it in if that makes sense.

Next I started germinating my seeds. The seeds I'm using are out of some crappy mids, but it's all I have. =( Regardless I'm determined. Twisted Evil The seeds I have seem very small to me, but I have nothing else to compare them to as I've never had any seeds come with my dank bud. I used the paper towel method. I laid out a paper towel on my desk and sprayed it with rain water. I then placed my seeds all over it, spacing them out. After that I folded over the paper towel and sprayed the top of it. I wet it evenly and just enough to where it wouldn't drip. Then I put it all in a gallon size plastic bag and in a dry, semi-dark warm place. Note that I only used the darker colored seeds that I got from old bud... the light green seeds were discarded.

Then I started setting up my grow area. I will be using a small section of my closet for this grow. It will be very stealth and, well, practical? My mj will be growing in the same closet that I use for my clothes and other things... it's all I have. =/ I vacuumed the carpet then laid down some cardboard. Eventually I will place a plastic tray (that can hold water w/out leaking) on top of the cardboard. I have a surge protector coming into the closet from a nearby socket that will power everything.

As mentioned earlier the main light will come from a bathroom fixture. These fixtures come with only wires sticking out of them as they're meant to be hardwired into a wall. Obviously I don't want to deal with hardwiring it so I bought a cord that has exposed wires at one end, and a plug at the other. It is 16 guage which I was worried about initially, but I think it will work just fine. Also it is rated for 13 amps. Wiring it up was very easy but if you don't have any experience at all doing these sort of things you can just ask someone at a hardware shop to help you out.

With that done I suspended the light from the clothes hanger bar in my closet using string and set up a the other two household lamps close by on the floor.

As of now, I have 2 x 26w CFL's and 1 x 42w CFL in the bathroom fixture, 1 x 13w CFL in a small lamp, and 1 x 26w CFL in a larger, more heavy duty lamp. Originally I didn't have the most powerful bulb in my home made fixture but I really want it centered and I don't think it will be a problem seeing as how the fixtures wiring gauge was the same thickness as the wire for the plug extension, plus the sockets say they can handle 60w max bulbs. *This makes for a total of 133 watts and ~8750 lumens.* Right now this is kinda lower than I'd like it to be but will work for now. Since all of my current bulbs burn at 2700K I may buy one more 42w CFL that is closer to 5200K IF I can find one locally... didn't see any last time I was at the hardware store. Not only would that help me with vegetation but it would also put my overall lumens to ~1150 which should manage to grow one healthy plant.

Speaking of one plant... my plan is to start many seeds then put only the healthy looking popped ones into my smallest soil containers. I will then again cut down to only six plants after another weeks time or so. As another week or two passes I will cut it down to three plants... then eventually one female hopefully. Any plants I discard will just be planted randomly outside perhaps. Twisted Evil I am only starting with so many seeds because of their poor quality and the fact that I have tons of them.

Well, I guess that is about all for today! Tomorrow I plan to make some more cardboard coverings, etc to keep the light in and from peeping through my closet doors lol. I also will check the seeds to see how they're coming along, and transplant any that have popped/begun to root into soil... but we will get into that when the time comes.

Ok... I have spent way too much time posting this stuff but now for the last part of today... my q's...

1. With CFL's generally being cool running, will I have to worry much about temperature in the closet? Also, if I did have to move everything to the attic, it's much hotter up there... is that just a terrible idea?

2. I don't have anything to measure humidity, will that be a problem since I'm growing so little?

3. At what point should I turn on the fan? I don't think I really need it for at least the first week or so, right?

4. How soon do you guys think I need to transplant into a bigger pot? I think I'm going to have to transplant at least twice throughout the grow, is that too much? Once very soon into smallish/medium pots, then once sexed I'm thinking 2 bigger pots since I'm only keeping 1 or maybe 2 plants.

Thanks so much

personally i use cfl's for my veg stage plants and they are pretty cool bulbs.

and as far measuring the humidity I use a ten dollar thermometer and humidity thingy that i got from walmart.

I leave my fan on the whole time that the light is on. Some people leave the fan on 24/7 but I dont.

I transplant from the starter pot to the final pot. I grow in a small closet so I use smaller pots than normal. Transplanting is very stressfull to the plant so do it as little as possible.

And finally keep as many plants as possible until you find out what sex they are. Dont start trashing plants before you find out who is male and female. Good luck with your grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man! I can't wait until tomorrow... I'm making myself wait until at least tomorrow around noon before I even check for germination. I planted them this morning so hopefully that will be enough time... don't want to disturb them too early uneccessarily.

Interested to see some pictures of your grow area. You should get some 6500k bulbs for veg period.

Good luck anonymous :)

Thanks man... yeah I really want to get at least one more 42w bulb in the higher color, I think it will give me just enough light for one good plant plus like you said help with veg. I may do that today... can't wait to check seeds tonight.

It usually takes a few days for them to germ. Sometimes even longer. Mine always take three days.

Ok well today I decided to get some of the 5000k (blue/white ish) CFL's for the veg. stage and to get my sprouts going. When I got my 2700k ones from Lowe's I didn't see any of the others, nor did I see any at Wal-Mart so I decided to go to Home Depot. Sadly they didn't carry the GE brand ones so I had to buy two N:Vision 5500k bulbs. They are 27w and only put out 1300 lumens *sigh*... but it's all I could find. I decided to just use those two along with my one 42w 2700k bulb during the beginning stages and I'll worry about more light when the time comes. I think what I have now will work for now. I also entertained buying some 4 ft shop lights (fluorescent tubes) since they would have been a great value as far as dollar per lumen, and they also have all sorts of bulbs and different colors (2700k or 5000k, etc.)... but I decided that it wouldn't fit in my closet. I am still deciding what I will do for lighting later, I saw some sort of Mercury Vapor light that I know nothing about... anyone ideas? I'm gonna research into that some. At this point all I have are seeds so I'm trying not to stress about lighting yet lol.

Then tonight I checked on my seeds and at least 8 had sprouted!! I took the seeds that had tails on them (some had really short tails, like a 2 mm, some had tails about 1 cm long) and dropped them in the soil a few mm deep. I then sprayed the top of the soil with water... a few squirts... and put them under light in my closet. One thing that I was concerned about is that some of the little tails were bent around and next to the seed part... so I didn't know if I should put it tail down or seed down or what... -.- I just winged it.

After they were under the light for only an hour or two the top of the soil already looked really dry! =( so I sprayed it again to moisten it. I'm worried though if they will dry out when I have to go to work during the day. What do you think I should do? I have the plants a few inches away from my CFL setup which right now is two 27w 1300 lumen 5100k lights and one 42w 2700 lumen 2700k bulb in between them. I'm gonna post some pics below in a sec.

EDIT: OK well it looks like I can't post pics yet so I'll just do that once I've gotten enough posts. >.<

You really dont need any light until the sprout emerges from the soil, then you will want to keep your light close.

Ok thx for the tip. They have been in soil for about 16 hours now and under the light. They were under 1 42w warm colored CFL and 2 27w daylight (blue/white colored) CFL. I just took out the warm one for now but will put it back once they've started to sprout. Still no signs of plant life other than maybe one seed starting to surface. I have watered them a few squirts about 5 times total so far... trying to just get the top wet but not saturate the soil each time I water... I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Each seed is in a very small amount of soil, and I'm wondering if that is ok. Each little section or pot is only like 2 inches deep and 1 sq inch of surface area. Will this work?.. and I'm guessing I'll have to transplant soon? Thanks.

Once again I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Good news! I can now see at two of my seeds starting to pop through the top of the soil and open up. I can see green!!! *so happy lol*

I just also put 18 more seeds that had sprouted into soil, 12 into another tray like the one now and 6 into 6 small pots that are about 4" in diameter. Germination is over! Only about 6 out of 26 seeds hadn't yet germinated after over 48 hours so I just scrapped them as I have plenty already.

I put my 42w bulb back in there and have every bulb turned on now... I hope I have enough light once they start to grow... I'm looking into buying a few more 5000k bulbs asap... probably two more 42w ones the day after tomorrow.

It's now about day 3 and I can see leaves, woot! The seeds that I planted yesterday are all almost out of the ground. The ones I planted today still show no signs but I'm sure they'll start to show up tomorrow afternoon or so. I'm so excited. :D

Ok so, what do I do next? lol. I guess just keep watering and raising light as they grow... surely I wont need nutes for a while.

Thanks! Woke up today and all 8 that were first planted have sprouted... I can see tiny leaves on most of them. Out of the rest that were planted a day later many are already coming through.

Ok I need to ask a question though because this is something that I've been debating about in my head for some time now. What size pots etc and how many transplants. Once I get some pics up (this afternoon, I promise :D ) you will be able to see my current situation, but I'm trying to figure out what size pots to go in next. I only want to transplant two times during the entire grow so... please let me know what you think I should do!

Thanks!

hi
does all this mean i can use cfl's for veg and bud growth ?i also have a 400w metal halite i want to use will they work together ?thanks for any info as iam either stoned or confused as heck right now

Thanks bro.

And pcservices, yeah you can use CFL's through the entire growth (veg and bud) but you just have to make sure that you at least have enough. 3000-5000 lumens per sq. foot is what you want. Also use the "warm" colored (2700K color) for budding and the "daylight" (around 5000k color) for veg. And as far as I know, your MH would also work for both veg and bud but I don't know too much about MH lights .

They've basically all sprouted up now :D This is so awesome... I guess I'll just keep watering they like I am now for the time being. Time for me to watch those grow vids again and find out what to do next haha. Any opinions on pot size would be great tho. As promised here are pics!

First I germinated the seeds by laying them out on the paper towel and then folding it up like in the pics. I sprayed it with rain water until it was pretty wet but not quite dripping and put it in the plastic bag.. then in a warm dark place.

germ1.jpg

germ2.jpg

germ3.jpg

Then I mixed my soil. I used sand and perlite in my soil, but not as much perlite as I would have liked to... just didn't have much and didn't want to buy any more.

supplies1.jpg

soil.jpg

Here is the type of container that most of my seeds are starting out in... very small!

sprout.jpg

Other supplies I bought...

supplies2.jpg

supplies3.jpg

Latest posts

Back