First grow area request for assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elven

420 Jedi
Reaction score
Hello all! First off I would like to say that I have spent many an baked hour, reading and hopefully retaining information from this site. I am preparing an area (garage) and it should be ready for the construction phase in a few weeks. I am hoping to have the whole thing ready for clones around September 22nd of this year. These are my dimensions and plans thus far. These dimensions are going to be custom built areas totally enclosed (all electrical and such taken care of). I am looking to do SOG since I have such a small areas. a 2'x3' Mylar coated walls for vegetative growth and mothers. My main questions for this area are.

1. What is the best type of hydro to use for vegetative growth? I would love to use areo for flowering but not sure if this is the best way to keep mothers and clones? I would think that drip would be the most gentle, but that is not always best.

2. Am I better off with a couple large compact florescence bulbs so that I can have one higher over the mothers? or should I get a MH? if I get a MH would 250w be enough for this space? 400w seems way to much 6K lpf, if I go with a MH do I just keep it at the top and rely on the Mylar? if not how do I adjust it lower with my mothers in the way?

3. How tall should this area be? I have a limit of vertical space about 7'ft 8 if i totally go for it. I would like some space for storage and ballasts and filters and such. This unit is going to be completely self contained.(cant wait for the build thread :hubba:)

The second area, Flowering is going to be a 3'x3' area. again sealed room with Mylar on all four walls. again i was figuring for SOG I would use a areoponics (anyone that can help me design please feel free to contact) with 1 psf (enough, not enough?) with a 400w HPS (again enough?)

Again Thank you all for posting such great information. before four days ago I didn't even know what HPS was ;). Please feel free to criticize my plans I try not to let my ego get in the way of mostly free pot. I only want to do this as right from day one as I can.

Dude, im not gonna lie, i saw this thread with no answers and really wanted to help, but maybe, just maybe i picked the wrong time to read this, LOL..:48: . so im gonna try my best under the current sobriety level, .. LOL. did i just say sobriety?? hahaha.. anyways here i go:

1: If you are looking to keep a mother, i would suggest using soil, Hydro tends to grow plants a little quicker than soil so that might be something to consider.

2: CFL do not penetrate ( sorry IF I USED the word wrong, someone is giggling while they are reading this!! :eek: ) as good as an MH or HPS do, the latest in fluoros for growing by far seems to be the T5 series which i found for the price and lumens youre better off with an HPS or MH, the only cons is that the T5's will save you more on electricity..
OK WOW, big breath and another bong hit from the home grown.. :bongin:

If you are planning on having a mother, im sure yours is wonderful and you love her but a secondary MJ mother plant, then i would suggest a separate area for her if you can afford it, if done right a 5 ft tall healthy and curvacious mother ( sorry about the curvaceous, personal preference.. LOL.)can provide you with enough clones all year round for your personal stash and save some for the buddies.. so if you want to use this area for vegging add a shelving sytem that can be adjusted to one of the side of the curvacious mother!! <LOL so you can have plants growing at different stages and still be close to the light..

3: that area should be fine, just remember that when you start flowering the plants can 2-3 times their size depending on the starin, LST or any topping done if any.

Good luck my friend.. :aok:

yall seem know what to do, what do ya need help with.?

hey I was thinking, if ya clones it from mother plants, then what will happen to that mother plants? not much buds right? maybe I did it wrong in my past.
yall can keep it simple and grow most females and be happy its better than just have one plant I know it myself smile

1. I recommend going coco, for the mothers. You would water it like soil, but with added nutrients. It has very good water retention, so you can feel fine leaving them unwatered for a few days. It's simple, works well for me, doesn't require any additional equipment.

2. I have T5s, which I've used for veg, and flower. They certainly work well for veg, but you have to be diligent about LST, because before you know it, you'll have a tall lanky plant (when you really want a wide plant, with a level canopy). They were decent for flowering, but I think you're better off with HPS. I have no experience with MH/HPS.

I am hoping to have the whole thing ready for clones around September 22nd of this year
You have oodles of time!:)
I think you could have a stash by then:
1 - 1.5 months to establish mothers (wait for preflowers, then discard males)
Take cuttings from females, and allow mothers a week to recover from stress
Put large mothers in flowering room, while growing clones in mother room
2 - 3 months for flowering

It may seem counter-productive to put your large mothers straight into flowering, as you want to establish good healthy mothers, but remember you'll have two months for the clones to grow large, while the flowering room is full.

Good luck, stay safe :)

Firepower said:
1: If you are looking to keep a mother, i would suggest using soil, Hydro tends to grow plants a little quicker than soil so that might be something to consider.
If I didnt have the lack of space that is exactly what I would do. is there a way to stop vertical growth once a max size is reached? I will have about 4' of vertical space so hopefully that will be enough.

Firepower said:
If you are planning on having a mother, im sure yours is wonderful and you love her but a secondary MJ mother plant, then i would suggest a separate area for her if you can afford it, if done right a 5 ft tall healthy and curvacious mother ( sorry about the curvaceous, personal preference.. LOL.)can provide you with enough clones all year round for your personal stash and save some for the buddies.. so if you want to use this area for vegging add a shelving sytem that can be adjusted to one of the side of the curvacious mother!! <LOL so you can have plants growing at different stages and still be close to the light..
WOW :eek: Firepower 5' now that is a MILS (Mother I would Like to Smoke) I figure with a max of about 10 clones every 8 weeks

Just wanted to say thanks papabeach1 for taking the time to ready my post.

King Bud said:
You have oodles of time!:)
I think you could have a stash by then:
1 - 1.5 months to establish mothers (wait for preflowers, then discard males)
Take cuttings from females, and allow mothers a week to recover from stress
Put large mothers in flowering room, while growing clones in mother room
2 - 3 months for flowering

It may seem counter-productive to put your large mothers straight into flowering, as you want to establish good healthy mothers, but remember you'll have two months for the clones to grow large, while the flowering room is full.

Good luck, stay safe :)
Thanks for all your help. the only reason I am waiting until after the 22nd. is that we are going on our last vacation until new years, so I figured if I get everything built before we leave I can start off when we get back and I dont have to leave my ladies alone.

Again thanks everyone for your help. When I start the build I will do photo journal so everyone can laugh at me :woohoo:

Latest posts

Back