Flush Ph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonJay

smokin surfer
Reaction score
Just coming to the end of my first grow and want to flush the nutes outta the girls before harvest. I appreciate there are many opinions out there and an opinion is not what I'm after.
Just a simple question, the girls have been on ph adjusted nutes their whole grow life 5.5 - 6.0 , now I want to flush with pure water: do I leave this water at a natural ph 7.0 or still adjust the water down to 5.5
help needed soon should start flushing next 3 days

Congratulations on nearing the end of your first grow! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

Sorry- but all I have to offer is an opinion. So I'll offer it anyway.

Bottom line, what difference does it make? PH helps with nutrient uptake. 7.0 would be fine because you're not trying to take up any nutrients- you're just trying to not give them more.

Now I'll give you another opinion (not trying to be an azz here)- A few days of no nutes is not going to remove what is already in the plant. It doesn't work that quick (if it did I could cure my cholesterol problem in 3 days by not eating any fats- but that doesn't happen :rolleyes: ). Obviously you're hydro- so just stop feeding- ph is now irrelevant.

This is, as I said, just my opinion. Good luck with your harvest! I hope you end up with some truly dank bud!

i just use strait RO water. i dont set PH or nothing to it. just flush thru em.
but i also do soil so i have no clue if it different for hydro.
but if im flushin like say my mother plants then i flush wit strait ro non PH'd water first. half the volume im flushing with. then the second half the water i flush thru i ph liek the last gallon or so just to bring it back to a more desirable PH .
also not sure if this is a good idea not to PH the water first but like BBfan said i would assume its fine . the purpose of flushin is to rid the plant itself of nutrients so i would assume nute lockout would be :aok: in this case.

you adjust ph so plants can feed.no need adjust the PH when there are no ferts, thats my reasoning :)

I don't ph final flush, but I do a flush in between veg and flower, I don't know why...just the way I learned to do it. When I do this flush I do it like Zip, I rund copias amounts through and then the last gallon or so I make sure that the ph is adjusted...I'm not saying this way is right or wrong...just the way I do things.

With a question like this you are only going to be able to get oppinions, some people don't believe a flush is nessecary. Good Luck to you...and congrats on the harvest!

Oh yeah one more thing, I usually start flushing 10 days out from harvest, to give the plants time to use up any excess nutes they have stored inside themselves.

If you are going to flush do not waste your time using tap water to do it as it contains way to much calcium and magnesium and these (according to Robert Clarke) are what are responsible for harsh smoke. Instead flush with RO or distilled for best results.

I think its hilarious how everyone walks on eggshells about flushing because of a couple of overly boisterous members.

Tater said:
I think its hilarious how everyone walks on eggshells about flushing because of a couple of overly boisterous members.

So I guess yours is the only opinion that matters. :p

I guess the rest of us aren't entitled to our opinions or experience.

Now I think that's hilarious! Squish, squish- there goes a few more eggshells. I used to like you Tater.

I'm trying to figure out how we are walking on eggshells....and why we would? Who is boisterous?...basically what are ya talking about man? I'm only stateing my oppinion on the subject..what I do.

BBFan said:
So I guess yours is the only opinion that matters. :p

I guess the rest of us aren't entitled to our opinions or experience.

Now I think that's hilarious! Squish, squish- there goes a few more eggshells. I used to like you Tater.

????

Not at all my man, nothing wrong with differing opinions but I'm sure you've been around long enough to witness some of the ridiculous drama that unfolds from differing opinions. I have no idea where the above came from but oh well. I still like you BBFan *hugs*

I'm trying to figure out how we are walking on eggshells....and why we would? Who is boisterous?...basically what are ya talking about man? I'm only stateing my oppinion on the subject..what I do.

You'll notice not many people pipe up on flushing threads, this is because of past threads on the forum blowing up into huge arguments. Kinda funny really. I was more commenting on the lack of comments then on the comments made my man.

I (used to) flush the exact same way as you do, except I ran a 48 site recirculating DWC and when I flushed I would fill the rez with clean tap water and rinse the system, drain, fill again, drain then fill with distilled and make sure pH was around 6 or so and call it good for 10 to 14 days.

Quit assuming everything is about you jeesh ;)

you adjust ph so plants can feed.no need adjust the PH when there are no ferts, thats my reasoning
so how bout givin plain water thruout growing. if giving plain water without nutes between feedings is it necessary to ph the water going in then?
i just find now that i got a 0ppm RO unit that trying to set ph on it is :hairpull: the numbers never stay stable on the tester. they always just keep bouncing up an down all over the place. but i usually throw in some cal-mag enuff to put something in the water and setting the ph becomes a lil easier the more i add to the water :confused2:
anyone else hate setting ph of plain RO or distilled water or have troubles gettin the ph numbers to stableize on the tester ever?

Tater said:
Not at all my man, nothing wrong with differing opinions but I'm sure you've been around long enough to witness some of the ridiculous drama that unfolds from differing opinions. I have no idea where the above came from but oh well. I still like you BBFan *hugs*

You'll notice not many people pipe up on flushing threads, this is because of past threads on the forum blowing up into huge arguments. Kinda funny really. I was more commenting on the lack of comments then on the comments made my man.

Back at ya man. Was a little cranky last night. Sorry. :rolleyes:

That boisterous poster you refer to left the site a while back (it's too bad though- he had strong opinions but he also had tremendous knowledge).

We are all free to post our opinions about flushing again. :p

Thanks for all the advice and opinions lol
Advice taken and girls on new diet today

RonJay said:
(my first grow) and want to flush the nutes outta the girls before harvest. I appreciate there are many opinions out there and an opinion is not what I'm after.

>>>hey. then why ask a question at all dude? you aint special. you gotta dig through all the info like everyone else. i suggest you go do some reading on flushing, and harvesting, and curing, since this is your first crop...

hey y'all, tater, bb, lf? y'all are big boys. you've each seen this type of post here before, many times, right? all agree?...sounds like someone got under the skins a bit above. you gotta spot trolling of this nature bros. afterall, thats what this is...

he's a newb, asking a question in the open forum...if he don't want your opinion, let him go ask somewhere else then. crap. i ain't skeered...lol...

hey ronjay. a piece of knowlegeable info for ya bro. if you come here to troll, you'll get showed the door fast...you'll not get an ounce of help, and , if you get any, it will be from another newb with as much as your own...now , go play nice, and ask the real question it is your looking for...sorry if i'm bitter dude, but seems your question was well aimed, with an underlying tone, with a specific agenda...

prove me wrong, and re-ask what you want to know from the MP Family...

then, IMHO, go do some research. some reading on site in the stickies...

(anyone that has made it to harvest, can't tell me they did no research on how to harvest thier meds)...IMHO...

ZipFlip: The reason you are having trouble getting a reading is because your meter relies on electrical conductivity to do its thing. When you run water through an RO membrane and remove 100 percent of minerals and what not you are also changing the ionic charge of the water. Pure water that carries no ionic charge will not conduct electricity (no mater what you hear from some people this is a scientific truth). Your PPM meter (I hate PPM's they are actually EC meters that do a simple math conversion) measures electrical conductivity between two metal posts or carbon usually, your ph probe will measure resistance across a membrane that is affected by the pH of the solution it is in.

So if you put your meter into pure water it won't work. What you need to do is add a little cal/mag like you did, or a shot of tap water works (but this adds chlorine and other possible contaminants). For best results add a bit of epsom salts and stir the water then let it sit exposed to the air. It will absorb CO2 and O2 and other gases from the atmosphere and try to balance its ionic charge (all things in nature seek balance, this is the principle behind why electricity flows and many other things). Come back after a while and take your readings and you should have a much easier time.

When you force water through an RO membrane you change many of its properties, you change is molecular weight, you remove all the minerals inthe water, you reverse the ionic spin of the molecules (i think). Adulterating it with salts will fix all this.

I wish I had bookmarked a few pages on this but if you would like I can try to find a few articles that explain what I'm talking about better. I don't have a perfect grasp of it but a general enough understanding to say this is why you are having this problem.

So in closing you want to pH your plain water during the veg and what not (unless you are an organic gardener with a team of microbeasties on your side) because its pH will affect the overall pH of your medium. Kapeesh :D

BBFan, the guy you are talking about is still around, I just caged the beast for a while :D Kept the knowledge, but did my best to lose the attitude, trust me its still there though, just buried hahaha.

No hard feelings bro.

:aok: right on. thanks tater.
i figured i was doin something right by puttin a tad bit of cal-mag or somethin in to make it easier to test.
just i never understood why nor herd why or nothin of itbefore so ...
but now i know . LOL
i thought maybe something was wrong wit my tester or something else was weird taht i was unaware
makes total sense tho.

Thanks Irish for the rage, we were all newbs once. My question was specific with no undertones! I would never enter into anything without doing extensive research first and reading and viewing as much material as I can lay my hands on. This was the reason I was not after an opinion, I have already made my mind up to flush, but had not found the relevant information I wanted.

Thank you Tater among others you provided me with the answer I was looking for with the scientific reasoning behind it.

So Irish give a "newb" a break, don't even know what you mean by "trolling", therefore not my intention. I thought a forum was a place to have general discussion and learn information by asking and answering peoples questions. This way maybe we can all become as experienced as you and be just as condescending. Experience can only be gathered over time and we all have to start the journey somewhere, so this particular journey of mine is only young but I want to get it right. If one wants to learn and further our knowledge then surely asking more knowledgeable people is the way it's done. I'm sorry you don't have more of a life and feel the need to anonymously deride people who innocently ask a questions they may want an answer to.

BBFan said:
Congratulations on nearing the end of your first grow! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

Now I'll give you another opinion (not trying to be an azz here)- A few days of no nutes is not going to remove what is already in the plant. It doesn't work that quick (if it did I could cure my cholesterol problem in 3 days by not eating any fats- but that doesn't happen :rolleyes: ). Obviously you're hydro- so just stop feeding- ph is now irrelevant.

This is, as I said, just my opinion. Good luck with your harvest! I hope you end up with some truly dank bud!

Thanks BB have given myself a good 10 days believe it may be Santa doing the harvest. Sorry about the cholesterol but I hear red wine is very good at reducing it, always a good excuse anyway:)

RonJay said:
Thanks BB have given myself a good 10 days believe it may be Santa doing the harvest. Sorry about the cholesterol but I hear red wine is very good at reducing it, always a good excuse anyway:)

Thanks RonJay! Looks like it's going to be a merry xmas at your house. Congratulations.

Thanks for the tip on the red wine- but maybe you didn't notice my avatar- here's a better picture. A few of my favorite things......

A nice red and blue combo- a heavy (unfiltered) red from the Stag's Leap district and a heavy (indica) Blueberry from BBFan's grow room.

Good luck with your harvest!

Don't mind irish he lost his meds lol

Latest posts

Back