Fox Farm Ocean Forest???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsmaverick

Husband/Wife growing team
Reaction score
:) Ok so we are hearin about this stuff all over the place and were wondering where is the best place to pick it up? And what does it range in price??

Go to this link change xx to tt---->hxxp://foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox_consumer_map.html

That will help you find where to buy it. Once you find a local retailer call them and ask for a price.

I paid $22.99 at a hydro shop.
I mix it with 1/3 perlite as it tends to be "hot".

Yes, it does tend to be "hot", but even my seedlings seem to handle it. The perlite might not be a bad idea either. I normally only add dolomite lime to it, though.

I believe it can cost anywhere from $15.00-$22.00 a bag. I really like it, because it is specially formulated for our purposes. Good stuff.

"Hot" meaing 'over-fertilization'? .. I mixed 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 LW and have my plants cotyledon leaves curled/curling inwards. Do they make a soil wihout any nutrients whatsoever?

I use it as an organic additive to my pro-mix. Stuff is the cats-a** man. I've grown with only Fox-farm as well and had great results out-doors. I will say, however, the nutes are strong and can create conditions for easy overfertilization. Stick to water only untill you get a feel for it. I've usually find it at gardening stores and any hydro-store.

I did have some over fertilization when I transplanted to Fox Farms, but the soil I was using before was pretty poor.
I gave the soil a dry cycle and did foliar feeding with filtered water for about 3 days. It mostly cleared up then they took off.
Mine ran about 25.00 including shipping from Alternative Garden Supply.

Gb

djsmaverick said:
:) Ok so we are hearin about this stuff all over the place and were wondering where is the best place to pick it up? And what does it range in price??

FFOF is a high quality potting soil. If you live in a large enough town to have an indoor gardening/hydroponic store in your area that's going to be your best bet for finding FFOF. Depending on where you live the price varies quite a bit. In northern California where FF is located and throughout the west coast it's the cheapest and as low as $12 per 1.5 Cubic ft bag. The further you get away the more shipping adds to the price in stores. I'm in the SE U.S. and it's $18-22 per bag depending which store you go to here. If you're out in the sticks and need to order it online and pay for shipping, the farther you ship the higher the shipping cost...

Cesar Chavez said:
"Hot" meaing 'over-fertilization'? .. I mixed 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 LW and have my plants cotyledon leaves curled/curling inwards. Do they make a soil wihout any nutrients whatsoever?

Hi Cesar...

FFOF is on the 'hot' side with organic amendments like bat guano, worm castings, etc. The mix you describe with Light Warrior sounds great. LW not only 'cuts' the strength of FFOF but also has lots of mychorrizae added for healthy root development. I grow my seedlings and some nute sensitive strains like WW in a 50/50 mix of FFOF & LW. There are some less rich soil mixes out there and off the top of my head Roots Organic comes to mind and it's only slightly less hot than FFOF. If you would like to go with a mix that has very little nute value the LW is a good choice or you could go with a different medium like Coco Coir. But these inert mediums will require more feedings as the plants won't be getting any portion of the nutes they need from the soil. The amount of nutes present in your substrate is inversely proportional to the amount of nutes you'll need to give them. That is, the weaker the soil the more you need to feed nutes. If you still want some of the organic amendments in FFOF but with a less 'hot' nutritional value, just mix or 'cut' your FFOF with however much LW you desire...

Perlite doesn't do much to 'cut' the strength of FFOF. The big irregular shaped chunky variety of perlite is great for improving soil drainage and structure, giving your roots plenty of air and preventing the soil from compacting late in your grow giving you well draining soil til the end of your grow. Stick with something like LW or Coco to mix up with products like FFOF for less hot soils but add chunky perlite at a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio for improved drainage and soil structure.

Peace!:cool:

You can make your own soil with no nutes in it... Its easy

3 gallons peat moss
1 gallon pearlite
1 gallon vermiculite
1/4 cup dolomite lime
3 tablespoon epsom salts

water the mix and let it sit for a few days before using it

Latest posts

Back