Fresh Air Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumbz99

Reaction score
I'm thinking of growing in a basement that might not have much access to outside air.

I understand that plants need fresh air, presumably because it would be richer in CO2?

Under this assumption, could keeping hamsters or some other pet in the same room as the plants help in getting them 'fresh' air via the CO2 the pet puts out?

if it a basement it must have windows or vents of some sort..I dont think critters are a good choice but lets see what others have to say

take care and be safe

Well, is space an issue? What kind of lights are you going to use? Is heat going to be an issue? As long as you open the door once a day it shouldn't be a problem. I had to flower under a 400 hps in a 4X4X8 room once with no ventilation. Heat was more of an issue that fresh air.

Why not just get a CO2 booster bucket or get a burner or a co2 tank. I understand wanting to stay cheap and all but putting hamsters in your grow room for CO2 production......really......honestly ask yourself "self if you hadn't of thought of it would you think it was a good idea".

baking soda and vineger or suger water fermented gives off co2 i think

LOL--You should be exchanging the air in your room 3-4 times a minute. I don't think that hamsters or baking soda and vinegar can even begin to give you the kind of volume of CO2 that you need.

Some of my first grows were with a 2 liter bottle hose ran to bottom of another smaller bottle of water, add sugar and warm water (hot water kills yeast) and brewers yeast (longest possible production). Mix brewers yeast, sugar and warm water and let run for a few weeks (fermentation = Co2 so make wine if possible and run Co2 into your grow room [done before]). When bubbles slow down in 2nd bottle (or whatever your using to measure bubbles from fermentation ,whatever measures Co2 expulsion then dump out old (add clearing agent if mixing wine otherwise add new yeast and start over fermentation process - run hoses above plants! Co2 is heavier)

Can't you whack the hamsters on a treadmill and get them producing more co2?

Seriously though, although Ed Rosenthal actually recommends rabbits for Co2 in the bible, there are much more efficient ways of generating Co2 to support and enhance plant life.

You have a furnance down there in that basement? They usually ooze out plenty of CO2.

Latest posts

Back