grow room and natural air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk_michael

Reaction score
Friend said he did sealed room and stoped because plants dont do good in them said stuff in outside air they need and do better any truth to this?

People generally only have sealed rooms if they do CO2 enhancement. Plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. They use CO2 and release O2. If the air in the room is not exchanged or CO2 enhancement is not used, the plants will quickly use up the available supply of CO2 and the plants will suffer.

He thinks he had co2 right - but obviously did not is my conclusion and yours it sounds like. It was what I thought from the beginning.

Running a fully sealed room is a balancing act with heat humidity and temps let alone co2. Is your friend very expierenced or kinda new to it?

If he's kinda new sealed rooms probibly wouldn't be a good idea, if he knows his stuff maybe he had a bad run?

To little info to really tell you anything man...

Im really just asking what you guys think about what he said. He said there is specifically stuff in natural air that the plants need and do really well. I personaly think he does not know it but he is talking about co2. I dont think he knew what he was doing. He says you need outside air. I was just asking if there is ANY truth to this not counting co2. I want to do a sealed garden. I have a few questions about them myself (sealed rooms).

A sealed room will not work unless CO2 is added.

Plants also get nitrogen from ther outside air, but it isn't a necessary thing to have it in the air if it is being supplied in the soil. I think your friend just didn't know enough about it. I am pretty experienced grower but I don't know enough about it to be comfortable taking off with a sealed room at this point. I would say do plenty of reading and talking to those who have experience at it, so that you can get as much knowledge as possible before starting a sealed room. :)

pcduck said:
A sealed room will not work unless CO2 is added.

I realize that. Question is what else do plants get form outside that they need.

mk_michael said:
I realize that. Question is what else do plants get form outside that they need.
Wind...indoors we use a fan.
As HP mentioned also N but N doesn't need to be introduced in gas form as this is in your nutes/soil

mk_michael said:

IMO, basically nothing. Other than CO2 and natural air movement (wind), I do not believe that there is anything in the outside air that benefits the plants. I personally draw fresh air from my crawl space.

I would be curious to find out exactly what he thought he was gaining from the outside air or his reasoning behind this.

You guys want to wager.... Im with you 3:1 odds perhaps any takers?

Growdude said:
Why do I think this is Co2 bucket grower?

Bam.....hit the nail on the head.:)

Sounds like your boy thought those CO2 buckets that snake oil salesmen peddle could actually be used in a sealed grow room. Those things are junk and a waste of money.
If you are doing it properly CO2 is all you need to add to a sealed room. There is no other magical thing that outside air contributes for healthy plants.

Proper sealed room grow basics: CO2 properly administered at the correct ppm and at the right times, higher temps and push the nutrients harder.... Too many newer growers try and go the CO2 method and screw the pooch. You really need to be able to run a dialed in grow before you go adding CO2 into the mix. jmo

I run Sealed rooms and do not exchange air at all. Haven't changed air for at least a year or so.

The only reasons folks exchange air is for basically 3 reasons, deal with temps, RH or the need for Co2. When you talk about the plants needing "fresh air", it is only for the replenished Co2 levels that the fresh air brings in. No other variables are needed by bringing in fresh air.

The air you and I are breathing, as of May 2013, is about 400 ppm Co2.
Before the Industrial revolution, it was around 280 ppm.
That's a whole 'nother topic right there.

So, your plants will "consume" Co2 rapidly in a sealed room, dropping the levels to below 150 within 6 hours, so, if not replaced by either fresh air or Co2, the plants will simply stop photosynthesis .

BUT, running a sealed room is much more then adding Co2. A lot of other items have to be inline in order to pull off a great grow.

But ya man, your buddy is wrong, you don't need fresh air at all in a sealed room if your dialed.

Hamster Lewis said:
There is no other magical thing that outside air contributes for healthy plants.
Haha.

Hamster Lewis said:
You really need to be able to run a dialed in grow before you go adding CO2 into the mix. jmo

Truth

But yes Rose, Fresh air rocks! But not for my plants..haha.

Latest posts

Back