growing for dumies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Dr. Fever keeps saying that using lumens is useless, but he has not offered up another method. If you check grow books, you will see that lumens per sq ft is the way they all figure light needs. Unless or until someone else comes up with a better way, that is I will continue to use here.

The amount of light you have is important. If you are -8350 lumens, that is quite a deficiet and it will shopw in your flowering plants.

I would remove the screen. You do not need it and it is cutting much needed light to your plants. If you want to do a scrog, I would recommend something that did not cut the light to the plants so much. When using CFLs, you need those babies right on top of the plants--within inches.

OK will remove it and lower those lights a bit. The 5700 throw some heat can't get them closer then 6" from canopy the 2700 can be an 1" from them. And I can see the lumens deficiency is definitely restricting flower growth. Thanks for all the info am very glad to be doing a run with regular plants as I would be very sad if these were great strains and having to go thru all this learning watching them suffer

On a side note i really am dying to make a cool tube light

Yeah you definitely want to get the lights closer to the plants. The farther away the lights are the more light energy (LUMENS) is lost. Either by lowering the lights or using some means of raising the plants. Ive found that rasing the plants may be easier in keeping the canopy height of your plants even. Once you get the hang of it and can hopefully upgrade your lighting when funds allow you will be pleased. Luck.

Hey thanks hockey. Gonna go do some moving stuff around really may try to get a light sooner then later maybe a used one or just a real cheap one from somewhere rather then waste any more senseless cfl money

akhockey said:
Yeah you definitely want to get the lights closer to the plants. The farther away the lights are the more light energy (LUMENS) is lost. Either by lowering the lights or using some means of raising the plants. Ive found that rasing the plants may be easier in keeping the canopy height of your plants even. Once you get the hang of it and can hopefully upgrade your lighting when funds allow you will be pleased. Luck.

I found keeping the tallest plants furthest away from the lights and the shortest directly under the lights even outs your canopy fast. It's a weekly, ever changing item. Some plants just take off faster than others. Then it will reverse and so on... ;)

OK cab1 is up to 16,190 + the panel which I am still yet to get stars off eBay can't imagine its more then 1k so still difficult getting last 4k was thinking of cutting the wall between cabinet s or maybe top half of it cause cab2 has 4500 in it so if I use every thing spread over the 2 cabs would that be negative progress? Really want the boxes seperate. Am thinking every thing in cab 2 is in 12/12 but none have started to bud or show sex yet, looking for oppinions please

Yes hockey that worked great raised the floor board to bring 3 smallest to equal the canopy of the larger 2 looks nice and only needed 2 1x4" rips for legs to raise floor board.

Few pics expecting some leaf issues due to heat of the 10 cfl in cab1

The Hemp Goddess said:
I know Dr. Fever keeps saying that using lumens is useless, but he has not offered up another method. If you check grow books, you will see that lumens per sq ft is the way they all figure light needs. Unless or until someone else comes up with a better way, that is I will continue to use here.

That's because the King of Copy and Paste tries to make himself look like he is smarter than everyone else, but he really doesn't have a whole lot of good practical information to share.....so instead he runs around yelling about how we all have it wrong. He sure does Copy and Paste a hell of an article though.:p

Hamster thanks for all the posts very nice to have folks in here even if for other conversations then the topic I'm all for community chat, I plan on being here a while so y'all feel free to post on up in here ;)

Big plant 3 is getting some toasty top fans. She had some issue with a few top most fans turning black since she hit the top before was touching the black fan and light so those leaves ate toast should I jus pinch them at the stem before the cause any further issue things are def junk

On my first grow I used under cabinet t 8 lights. better lumens for the watts.this time I'm usng one for side lighting. they run about 10 a piece at wally world.Cheap fix for your lack of lumens.Just my opinion of course. I'm a novice grower,but these have worked for me in the past.

Ya rt thanks lizard. I have those in the 4'Long veg cab. Rather not atm. I think if I can't get a cool tube via thg specs then I'll just throw another 2 1450 lux in and with the panel being 13w 7.2lux LEDs = 1620lux @ 650nm deep red pretty sure I'll hit the 20k of a cost of 12$ I have 2 bulbs may need to rework the cabs a bit no idea maim golal I'd get the cool tube ATM

Again thanks for posting everyone. I have posted in the PTSD thread in the med forum if anyone can shine lights on that in here would be glad to use the this thread as multipurpose I'm sure we could all learn a lot around this camp fire

Hamster Lewis said:
That's because the King of Copy and Paste tries to make himself look like he is smarter than everyone else, but he really doesn't have a whole lot of good practical information to share.....so instead he runs around yelling about how we all have it wrong. He sure does Copy and Paste a hell of an article though.:p

Here a copy and paste just for you RETARD

One of the most commonly used terms when referring to the power of a given grow light is the word lumens. For years, it has been the standard measurement of the growing capability of metal halide and high pressure sodium grow lights. The problem is that this term has been used incorrectly for over 30 years. In this article, we will explore the real meaning and correct use of lumens and further describe what you should be looking for when it comes to choosing LED grow lights that pack the most growing-power for your dollar.

What are Lumens and Lux

Lumens and lux are both measurements popular with grow light manufacturers - both HID and LED - to give potential customer a reference point for the relative brightness of various lights. In some jurisdictions, a lamp's lumen output rating must be on the label as required by law. What we are told (and have been for years) is that the higher the lumen rating of a given light, the better, faster, bigger, etc. your plants will grow.

But there is one MAJOR problem with using Lumens as a reference point for growing plants.

By definition, a lumen is a measurement of how bright (the power) a light is perceived by the human eye. The term lux is very similar to lumen in that it measures the intensity of light, however, it also takes into account the total area covered by a given number of lumens. For now, don't get bogged down by the technical side, just know that lux and lumen both measure the intensity of light to the human eye.

So what's the big deal? A bright light is good, right? The sun does a pretty good job at growing things and it's really bright. Don't we want to mimic the sun?
. .

Lumen & Lux Are Irrelevant To Plant Growth

Unless the plants under your grow lights have eyes, lumens & lux make zero difference in how well your plants grow. Plants respond most efficiently to light that is beyond what humans can perceive so it does not necessarily matter how bright your light is. As a matter of fact, 80% or more of the light emitted by either the sun or from HID lights, goes unused by plants for photosynthesis. It is that portion of light that we humans see with our eyes and can register as being bright.

What matters most are the wavelengths of light that your grow light emits. When an LED grow light manufacturer rates their lights based on lumens, it is flat out misleading and irrelevant. Some manufacturers realize that people are starting to learn about this and are now skipping the word "lumen" and just showing pictures of how bright their light is. The result is the same - a bright light does not guarantee big yields.

Still very unclear as to what if not lumens I should be looking maybe an explanation to go with your c\/p of coffee.

Wavelength? What is that identified by.

What is your input on the best combination of CFLs to produced the best results Dr.?

All looking good. Thanks to all for the info it has definatly put the girls on a better track. Cab 1 4th plant is showing female and 1,2,3 aree well into full bloom no sign of any herming or males in cab2 either but no pistols so still a few days in there but having raised them to make an equal canopy has benifiyed them all over night thru the day thus far. Very happy with the input and really want to encourage you all to post any thing you think may help me as I will be liokinffor strains that work good for severe ptsd.

not that I know much as its my first grow but for anyone just starting up or thinking of it I recommend trying the extreme toping and lst hst great to see first hand what each does and hiw they react

Wow. Been dealing with alot lately. Will be writing a book or 2. So hard to get help no matter how hard u try.

things are looking great for what I have running. 7 days from seed xtack to cut but we'll see plant 1 had a hard life as the rest. Thus was more a learning experience. I am still ISO PTSD effective strains if any one can help me I beg you to post even if it's based purely of u think it may help me. I was shot to death in a robbery as well as tortured and lots worse I need help folks.....

back to plant 2,3,4 are great all feamle still they ate a different strain and may finish at same time asr #1 clearing cab 1.

cab2 @ few have pistol showing including plant 5 which is same bag seed as #1 who is beautiful as to what I had to give it looks to be maybe 2z undried with 1-2 weeks to go maybe 3 I have no idea. Was cracked @ 2/1 so.

need some info on t/rh. I have only the old school temp hum bar wall pie e reading 72 temp 80ish H in cab1 worried about humidity and mold can't afford to lose her so close u need thus no mater the yeild or strain without it is unimaginable.... Any help is great.

I have a 4 1/2" round negative intake ground level in cab 2 drawn through a top and bottom middle wall partition with the 6" charcoal filter pulled thru tip of cab 1 will check t/rh @7 before lights out and at 7@m for night t/rh.

really know I need a digital Meyer but that a long way ago as of my feeding materials being super bloom 12/55/6 w/0.10% chelated iron (fe)

I have PTSD and bipolar 1 dissorder. I have found just about any Indica or indica dominant strain works well for slowing down my brain and calming my anxiety.

Ya man thank you! I told my doc the other day I have suspected bipolar and hope to find a test if possible to get help. Growing tierd of this.

pretty sure plant one is indica so close can't wait.

Well it rained last night for 2 gal of water fed it to 1-4. Hope it helps and not hurts. Caught my elc co. Outside in there truck this am. Walked up on him and knocked on his window scared the **** out of him. Asked what he was doing and replied confirming the output reading odd? Pretty sure its a new meter equipped with the drive by reader. Im about 200w a month over same month last year is that to high or rather high enough to draw attention? Or am I just growing more paranoid and delusional?

last April 792kwh
this past 968

what do u guys think
also pretty sure I reduced usage since by going 12/12 on both cabs as last mo would have been cab 2 running 24

also last 4 mo overages were as follows

April 196
mar 102
Feb 228 was not running anything grow related
Jan 253 was not running anything grow related

Looking good no sing of anything strange maintaining course at all costs. Rain water is now being used rather then untreated tap water. Plant one is 6 days and counting. Plant 2 has excelled only being in a 1 gallon or smaller container possibly 2/3 of bud of plant one and 2 weeks offset in flipping. Plant 3 is tall but being 4 weeks behind plant one may be the best end producer but is same strain as #2 so difference is expected as all containers size vary
May have to stop.smoking buy refuse to shut it down. Will post as I can with updates

Latest posts

Back