Harvest time of day, how much does it matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
So i know that harvesting is best done first before dawn. I have to harvest on 3 days due to different strains and it is not that easy for me to wake up at 4 am. I was wondering if i harvest at 11 pm that would be 5 hours after it turned completely dark, will it make a difference? Mind you that this harvest has been well kept and cared for and a 1% decrease in quality matters to me. I am wondering if i had been waking up so early to harvest for no good reason. How do big growers who have to harvest big yields go about it? Thanks.

I just chop mine when they are ready, and I am too. I do one strain at a time. I wash, wet trim, then into drying racks. I only do I strain at a time. I have only 3 grows under my belt. My 4th I am just about 4 weeks in.

Last edited:
your plant does not care what time of day or night it is , when she is ready to harvest , she should s ready

there will be no 1% decrease in quality between 4am and 11 pm
Glad to know… I have limited time so I chop The first day I can after shes ready.

your plant does not care what time of day or night it is , when she is ready to harvest , she should s ready

there will be no 1% decrease in quality between 4am and 11 pm
Thank you for the replies. Can you elaborate some more? They say 1st thing in the morning because resin production is at its peak. Another claim is that chlorophyl taste will be more if harvested during daytime.

I would not think the time of day would not have anything to do with it although there is that 48 hour of darkness some swear by.
When I was young and waiting for my sweet mare to drop her foal, my grandaddy use to say…”SubGirl, when the apple is ripe it will fall” well not the SubGirl part but I’m always reminded of that advice when at the end of my harvest waiting and waiting for it to get ripe.

Thank you for the replies. Can you elaborate some more? They say 1st thing in the morning because resin production is at its peak. Another claim is that chlorophyl taste will be more if harvested during daytime.
That's new to me...hmmm. I do th 48 hrs of darkness.
What's a stem split? Shit I guess I can Google it haha

Never heard that either.

Something I do is never let my buds see the light of day once harvested. I don't know if any of these make a difference or not.... probably over kill!

Last edited:
That's new to me...hmmm. I do th 48 hrs of darkness.

Never heard that either.

Something I do is never let my buds see the light of day once harvested. I don't know if any of these make a difference or not.... probably over kill!
Well I grow outside so I guess I’m burnt up on the 48 hours of darkness.

A waste of time, so is the rusty nail through stem

exactly..old wives tales

ipwe grow outdoors so these is no 48 hours of dark , snort , unless there is an extended eclipse

think of other fruit and plants

does any producer harvest any crops at nighttime?

does anyone know of a farming practice where they require 48 hours of darkness , as though some magic transformation takes place?

canteloupes?

carrots?

how about 48 hours of darkness for some cabbage?

but but but , cannabis is a Magic Plant!

😂😂😂

I use my jewelers loop or my cheesy micro lense for cell phone camera that clips on the phone...I like all cloudy and a little amber and very little to no clear...when I see that and they are dropping over from weight, I chop them the next day before the light would come on...I pull all fan leaves and hang them...7-10-15-20 days whatever it takes to dry it...differs depending on what time of year here in Virginia...I trim it, paper bag it a few days, then into jars.
I don't give them any abnormal dark period or anything other then when the day comes is to chop them before the light comes on.
In the past, I have tried all this nonsense...but I have been growing indoor since back in 1998...I still make mistakes... usually from being preoccupied...but I stick to my methods that I feel work best for me and I pull down excellent harvests!
Last year I was close to being done with a grow...I commercial fish too at times of the year and I got a call...was supposed to be gone a week, ended up being 2...plants didn't make it...should have chopped and hung before I left.

I use my jewelers loop or my cheesy micro lense for cell phone camera that clips on the phone...I like all cloudy and a little amber and very little to no clear...when I see that and they are dropping over from weight, I chop them the next day before the light would come on...I pull all fan leaves and hang them...7-10-15-20 days whatever it takes to dry it...differs depending on what time of year here in Virginia...I trim it, paper bag it a few days, then into jars.
I don't give them any abnormal dark period or anything other then when the day comes is to chop them before the light comes on.
In the past, I have tried all this nonsense...but I have been growing indoor since back in 1998...I still make mistakes... usually from being preoccupied...but I stick to my methods that I feel work best for me and I pull down excellent harvests!
Last year I was close to being done with a grow...I commercial fish too at times of the year and I got a call...was supposed to be gone a week, ended up being 2...plants didn't make it...should have chopped and hung before I left.

what species of fish do you catch?

With all the respect due to someone who has been here a long time, Zem. Any Pictures possible? Eventually?
I love outdoor picts the most, especially when it is right before harvest time!!!

IMG_5618.jpeg
IMG_5662.jpeg
IMG_5692.jpeg
IMG_5694.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_2300.jpeg

what species of fish do you catch?
We catch whatever is paying the most at the time...in the Summer in the Canyons of VA. and NC..it is Yellowfin Tuna Wahoo King's Mahi's we aim for...when I hop a plane to Jupiter Fla...it's King's Wahoo Blackfin Tuna Grouper Snapper etc...it is basically fishing for sharks with those fish as a by catch... 😂...it's that bad....it's all rod n reel fishing or free diving spear fishing commercially.
There are other fish we catch and keep and many fishermen don't target those fish to make money, as it is NOT consistent...only certain weeks in the year are banner times and they are rigged and ready for their slow and steady...it's a good break for someone who rides and trains horses any other day of the week.

We catch whatever is paying the most at the time...in the Summer in the Canyons of VA. and NC..it is Yellowfin Tuna Wahoo King's Mahi's we aim for...when I hop a plane to Jupiter Fla...it's King's Wahoo Blackfin Tuna Grouper Snapper etc...it is basically fishing for sharks with those fish as a by catch... 😂...it's that bad....it's all rod n reel fishing or free diving spear fishing commercially.
There are other fish we catch and keep and many fishermen don't target those fish to make money, as it is NOT consistent...only certain weeks in the year are banner times and they are rigged and ready for their slow and steady...it's a good break for someone who rides and trains horses any other day of the week.

have you met Africanna?

pretty sure he takes care of more than one stable full of thoroughbreds , ya all probably have a lot n commen

interesting combination of equestrian and fishes..😂🤪😂

Latest posts

Back