heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushBlower12

Smoke em' if ya got em'
Reaction score
Im setting up a grow room in a 4 x 4 and Im having problems with the heat that is conducted from my 600 watt hps. Should I buy a small ac unit to help out?

Yes do you have a fan sucking out the hot air from your room? Do you have anything bringing fresh air in? Do you have a fan blowing on the plants? Your grow area needs a constant supply of fresh air. ;)

Yea i think a small AC would do great it all depends how hot of cllimet you live in your grow room will be about 20-30 deg hotter then outside or room temp.

i asked if he had air venting out of the grow or not and he didnt really answer the ? for me. i pmed him back asking for photos and he said they are in his profile. i didnt see any tho?

id say to vent the air out- if not venting out set it up filtered or through a cooled hood and out. if already venting try a bigger fan or ducting. and if all else fails add cooling and/or co2 :D

heres your photos brother- took the liberty to throw um up here sorry if you didnt want um here..

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

as said, need to vent hot air out of space and connect all ducting with proper diameter connectors making airtight or at least somewhat.

remember that a/c units put out heat while cooling, as well as water vapor with noxious polutants (minimal..but still)

so if the backside of that a/c unit is hanging out of ur grow box and into a room, u will be swinging pretty inefficiently.

if u have proper exhaust u dont want to be sucking in hot, poluted air from the same room your exhausting your a/c into. much less spending the energy to cool that air back down.

i would say buy some can fans, not necessarily that brand, but high powered fans that can fit ur 600w hood. couple hundred cfm atleast.

that would be ur best bet IMO, over an a/c. which speaking from personal experience, is not worth using in a small space thats within another small space (a bedroom)

a/c's are a pain in the butt... high powered fans can do much more imo
good luck, definetely let us know

Kushblower... please allow me to give you some ,IMHO, invaluable advice...
do your best to keep the Q&A's in the forum, where the "entire" community can diagnose and observe.
You will recieve a much wider range of suggestions, will be utilizing the entire communities knowledge, rather than depending on "one" persons opinion.
In my experience, many times those pming, "telling you how to do it", are often not posting it in the forums because they are reluctant to expose their advice to descretion of the decades of experience that it will be subjected to.
I'm not implying that anyone would purposely or conciously administer ill advice, but "I" much prefer to have problems "trouble shot" by a half dozem or dozens of, experienced, knowledgable, minds, rather than by ONE or two, self professed experts...;)

THE "combined" forums "Decades"..possibly over a hundred years of "combined" knowledge and experience.... NOT just mine.
A wise old man once told me that their are folks with 10 years experience, and their are those with "one" years experience, ten times....;)
The advice I just gave, above, was the best advice that he has recieved since joining the forum..
Give me another reason that advice should be 'hidden' from the scrutiny of the entire forum?? not to mention the fact that by asking and recieving answers in the forum, it benefits others that may come along with the same or similar queery...

Thanks for the advice. I had an idea of how much airflow but I guess i just underestimated. And I think Ill hold off on that ac unit, didnt want to do that anyway. More fans!

And one last thing... Ive been told to keep your plants between 70 - 80 deg, and the other guy said its ok to go to 90 deg. What is the optimum temp? Im at about 82 - 88 right now with 35 percent humidity, but that of course is without the plants. And I dont think Im going to run CO2. I thought I was going to have a good supply of free tanks, but that fell through. I was thinking dry ice or vinegar and baking soda, but it would probably be tough to keep regulated.

Thanks

KushBlower12 said:
Thanks for the advice. I had an idea of how much airflow but I guess i just underestimated. And I think Ill hold off on that ac unit, didnt want to do that anyway. More fans!

And one last thing... Ive been told to keep your plants between 70 - 80 deg, and the other guy said its ok to go to 90 deg. What is the optimum temp? Im at about 82 - 88 right now with 35 percent humidity, but that of course is without the plants. And I dont think Im going to run CO2. I thought I was going to have a good supply of free tanks, but that fell through. I was thinking dry ice or vinegar and baking soda, but it would probably be tough to keep regulated.

Thanks

DIY co2 is impossible to monitor or regulate. Temps in the 90's is only good, if you are inducing a regulated amoount of co2. co2 is not needed if you have sufficient circulation.
Temps for mj without co2 induction, is optimal at between 70-80 F.

I can't quite tell what is going on from the picture. It appears that you have a reflector that can be air cooled. Air cooling your reflector can make a substantial difference in the heat the light puts out.

hes got a duct hooked up to the blower sucking air through a duct that isnt connected to the hood, and the fan is just blowing the hot air back into the room.

as stated he needs to vent the hot air out with correct ducting attached to the hood. he could even attach the incoming line to the other side of the hood, pulling cool air in and then right back out of the room. if sealed you wont have to filter the air like this...but the room will stink maybe even the entire house. id recommend getting bigger duct straping it to the hood via steel clamps. then tape with quality duct tape... then venting it into the attic or out the room through a carbon scrubber (maybe cutting a hole up high on the door and have it venting out and have the cool air from the inlet coming in through a hole on the lower side of the door. (a door is alot easier to replace than a hole in the walls/ceiling)

I agree 100percent! it will free up my pm box and help them get a more rounded answer non the less. theres nothing at all wrong with putting any and all questions on the forum, but to another self professed expert the answer to his original question went unanswered.

I am here to help and learn as well :D

ahh jeeze.. sorry. I "***-umed" you had taken care of all his problems in pms... :D
You will find that I freely give my advice on the board. . I seldom administer advice in the back room. I prefer to have it dissected and critiqued by our esteemed membership.. for who I have the greatest respect..:D

sometimes advice is given in pm to avoid the ego's on the board and the countless people who will argue an incorrect point.

The other thing too, is that if you give advice on the board then your 100?% likely to get a contradicting answer that may well be wrong, you may well get a few, thus leaving the new grower in a situation of figuring out who to believe.

Theres pro's and cons for both sides, i don't feel theres any reason to lose friendships over it though.

Latest posts

Back