hey all i need a little advice in what lights to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so i just got back from the co-op where i was looking for suitable lights to start my first crop. Anyway i came across some halogen flood lights, i took down the specs which were 110volts = 500 watts at just £11.50 each and i was wondering if they would be ok to use or maybe even two in either corner of my box which is 4"w 1 1/2"d 4"h and if so would they be too much light (is there such thing as too much light?) and use alot of more power.
Rather then the cheaper fluorescent tubes they would only cost 3.50 and i could put 3 or 4 of them in and would probably be cheaper to run!
What im looking for is reasonably good results they dont have to be perfect but i would like to suceed first time round, i dont have high expectations of my first go but you no id like to be pretty high at the end. haha listen to me go on but anyway please advice me your opinions matter greatly:joint4:

Halogen lights are a very poor choice. Wrong spectrum, and produce a lotta' heat.
What you're striving for is 3,000 to 5,000 lumens of "usefull" spectrum, per sq. ft.
That's where my advice ends. IMHO, 4 feet of heighth isn't sufficient for a decent grow. Consider 1 foot for containers and another foot for you light fixture, you're already out of room. CFL's or flourescents are your only option.

t5's are good to get you started, or if you don't intend growing a lot, some simple cfls to get you through the veg stage, see if you like growing before you splash out on a nice hps.

Latest posts

Back