How old should plants be to survive harvesting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggywithit

Reaction score
Every time I harvest my buds all of my plants die but I have seen marijuana plants that were as big as trees and I'm sure they have been harvested many, many times. So my question is, has anyone figured out how old the plants must be, or how large their trunks should be, or any other way to know whether or not they will survive a flowering and harvest?

I want to get a few mature plants and bud and harvest them again and again instead of having to grow a new crop of plants every time or cloning existing plants.

Thanks!

Marijuana is an annual plant. However, after harvest if you leave 7 or so buds on the plant and you put it under 24 hour light it will look really funny for a while, but it will reveg. Then you can get one more harvest out of it.

The tall plants are probably grown outside.

Every time I harvest my buds all of my plants die but I have seen marijuana plants that were as big as trees and I'm sure they have been harvested many, many times. So my question is, has anyone figured out how old the plants must be, or how large their trunks should be, or any other way to know whether or not they will survive a flowering and harvest?

I want to get a few mature plants and bud and harvest them again and again instead of having to grow a new crop of plants every time or cloning existing plants.

Thanks!

You are operating under a lot of misconceptions. You might want to read a bit about how cannabis grows. It is an annual and as such you cannot do multiple harvests and/or have it come back unless you do some very special things, like Rosebud mentioned, and even then it often does not work. This is called revegging. You harvest about 2/3 of the plant and then put the plant on a high N diet and put it back under 24 hour light and allow it to start vegetating again. And then go through the entire flowering process again. You can see that this would be virtually impossible to do on giant outdoor plants. I do know though that is not what you are asking.

While you may be sure, this is not true. "...but I have seen marijuana plants that were as big as trees and I'm sure they have been harvested many, many times." Plants can and do get 7 (or 10 or 12) feet tall in one season and are only harvested once--that IS the way it is done. Cannabis does not lend itself to multiple harvests like, say tomatoes. You harvest when the trichomes say the plant is ready. It has nothing to do with how old the plant are or the size of the stem. While some people may harvest in stages--sometimes lower buds mature slower than upper ones, it is still one harvest. The plant will not rebud and grow flowers again unless you do go through the entire reveg, vegging period, and flowering period again--4+ months.

Unfortunately, what you want: "I want to get a few mature plants and bud and harvest them again and again instead of having to grow a new crop of plants every time or cloning existing plants." is not possible. And any claims by any seed company that they have such a plant is pure B S

I think you are confused like THG and Rose said. MJ doesn't work that way. It is either you harvest part of the plant and try a reveg or you harvest the whole thing and then start again with clones or plants from seed.

That is really not what the poster was talking about. He wants a plant that is like ever-bearing strawberries--he wants to be able to harvest and then get another harvest and then another without going through any reveg and reflower. You were using her as a mother and taking clones from her, weren't you, bwana?

I just harvested a 6 year old plant, my Mother Blue OG had done her time :clap:
Yes but She was in Vegg for those 6 yrs till you allowed her to Flower. He wants an MJ tree thats produces fruit all the time. Yehaaaaaaaa

Clones is the way to go Bro,,,,,and do a Perpetual grow.

I think as far as size of plant you are looking for a Sativa. The tallest plant in this picture is over 8 ft and expected to reach 10. This is one grow season outdoors. You will not get this size from a indica or growing indoors.

View attachment raised bed 1.JPG

Thanks again RB, strawberry's in the left bed eating herbs in the middle smoking herb on the right.

Latest posts

Back