hps light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDN_BUD

Reaction score
my grow space is 20in deep,30in wide and 4.5ft high. i wanna get a hps light and i was wondering how big are they,what are the heat outputs. i dont know what one would be perfect for me 250 or a 400watt. how many plants can i grow in my setup with a 250 or a 400watt hps? also what kind of venting unit am i gonna have to install? i cant vent through the top cause theres a second level to my setup. i only have one side to vent out of.

mixplant 136.jpg

You could put a 400 watt hps in there as long as you install some good ventilation. Would you be able to cut a hole in the side of that and install an exhaust fan? If so, you should be able to run the 400 watt in that area. I would only grow 4 maybe 5 plants in there and no bigger than 3 feet tall. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care and be safe.

yes i can cut a hole for a exhaust fan. how much $ they usually go for?

I'm not really sure where to tell you to get the exhaust fan but you can just google it and find all sorts of sites that sell them. I think you can get them for 20-30 dollars for a good one. Take care and be safe.

I say 400 hps and purchase a bathroom fan from HomeDepot/Lowes..Mount that as high in the side wall as possible...also put CPU fans in bottom for fresh air intake...Just my .2...Keep it GREEN

Home depot! get a couple 6-8" inline fans for about 35 each, but worth it. It will get pretty hot in there, why don't you just get a 250W HPS that would be plenty for that area, you want 3-5K lumen's per SqF. And if my calculations are correct then all you need is 19,000 lumen's, thats at 5K lumen's per SF. And a 250W HPS has about 28,500 lumen's.

i would get the 400, inline fan(s), put 12-15 plants forSOG and flower at 5-7in. i believe this to be the most productive for ur space...if you get the 250 i think you'll end up with a 400 later

i think you might be right about the 250. not many people seem to be happy with the 250. can u send me a link on how to do sog and what i need?

dude im a total compu-tard i can barely get my pics on.LOL my SOG setup @ SOG gone wild in hydro..see,i cant even link u to that!

i would go with the 400 watt hps you will be very happy with it in that littel space but you will need good ventalation

another question i have is will i have to buy a bulb? do they come with a bulb? if they do is the bulb that comes with it the right one for flowering?

CDN_BUD said:
another question i have is will i have to buy a bulb? do they come with a bulb? if they do is the bulb that comes with it the right one for flowering?
most do not come with bulbs unless you get a "system", HPS is for flowering, i would get the highest quality bulb they got...JMO

it should come with a bulb hps - mh. i have almost the same setup with no shelf in it and with my 400w hps it is way to hot for the box even with 2 fans 1 in and 1 out and a box fan in the door way. im thinking of buying some t5's. good luck with the grow.

well a 400 watt light will yeild him denser buds timmy and have a better overall yeild with better penatration throught the canopy. i would say that will be needed recommending an sog as to do one right they will be crowded some. thats when the bigger light comes in handy.

now to grow a sog, i recommend the 400. it will take alot more to cool it which means more noise, more electricity usage all around. if he was to get one and supercrop and scrog then hed be in good shape with lots n lots of dense colas.

if he only wants to grow a couple of plants at a time and wants a quieter cabinet. id stick to the 250 and mount the ballast outside the chamber to keep heat down.

ive grown with a 250 for many cycles and it doesnt take much to cool one if youve just got a lil 12vdc computerfan drawing out hot air up high(near the bulb level) and a nice vent for bringing in cool air passivily on the lowerside of the chamber.

insidesun.com for good cheep lighting systems.

Latest posts

Back