hydro sex question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Moon

gotdank?
Reaction score
im trying to figure out if this martian mean green is a male or female its 2+ feet high with tons of foliage on a 18/6 light closet grow, waterfarm hydro, grown from seed, i think its a male but im not quite sure, should i just switch over to 12/12 light and make sure? buddy of mine told me from seed sometimes its hard to tell the sex during veg and to just bud it out and watch it carefully. i dont have a camera either right now.

the only way you can determine accurately is to flick the switch to 12/12.

That said you could put a light proof bag over one of the branches 12 hours daily until just that branch displays it's gender.

ok thanks joe, thats a good idea with the bag, never made it this far with my hydro setup, just needed reassurance.

the other option would be to root a clone and put it under 12/12 somewhere, but if you only have a small number of plant's I'd just flick the switch personally, and be on the lookout for balls.

smokingjoe said:
the only way you can determine accurately is to flick the switch to 12/12.

That said you could put a light proof bag over one of the branches 12 hours daily until just that branch displays it's gender.

I humbly disagree.A plant will show sex in due time,hensePRE-FLOWERS.Givin 1-2 months in vegg.You'll either c a pistal w' 2 white hairs (female)or not.

dirty is correct, given enough time a plant will reach maturity and show sex long before flowering begins.

DirtySouth said:
I humbly disagree.A plant will show sex in due time,hensePRE-FLOWERS.Givin 1-2 months in vegg.You'll either c a pistal w' 2 white hairs (female)or not.

Ok, i have plenty of time ill just wait it out some more and make sure, thanks for your advice.

DirtySouth said:

I agree 100% with this

If you get anxious to flower while you are unsure of the sex, flipping 12/12 while pre-flowers are showing will speed up the process a bit. At least mine were showing pre-flowers for two weeks and I was nervous about what was male and what was not. They were getting super big so I flipped 12/12 and two days later the males were covered in balls!

I also agree with Dirty & Co, I guess I should have said the only practical way to rapidly determine sex is to flip the switch.

a cutting doesn't 'have' to be rooted in order to express sex, cutting in a glass of water under 12/12...will allow you to determine the sex just as quick as switching the entire plant.
BUT.. you should take into consideration, their present size. At 2' now, "she" ;) will likely at least, double in size once flowering is initiated.

:yeahthat: I agree with Hick--you might want to consider flowering soon.... How much room do you have? What kind of light are you using? How old is your plant?

Latest posts

Back