I bent some main colas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
I have this plant that is in the corner of a 3' x 4' foot closet, 12 sq. ft. Those colas were up against the wall in the corner, taller than any of the other plants and not directly under the hid. So, effectively, they were too far from the light. I wanted an even canopy, so I tried to tie those colas down, and reposition the plant so it wouldn't overshadow the others. Well, after about breaking my back and cutting my finger (another story), I united the colas and put all the plants back in their original position. After a few moments of frustration, reflection, and a joint I decided to simply pinch those colas at convenient locations on the stems and bent those right over until they were horizontal. No need for string and tape, and now there's once again, an even canopy.

I've done this before, but for some reason, each time I consider doing it agian, I'm afraid to harm them. No worries, they'll be just fine, while enjoying more direct light. Just bend those things over, don't be afraid!

:eek: Sounds extreme but if it works :aok: Would make for a good photo tho hint hint :)

I'm sorry, but I no longer have access to a camera. It didn't think pics were necessary, because all I was doing was sharing my experience with bending those main stems over , instead of tying them down. I suppose a before and after picture would have been more helpful, though.

The point is is that these plants can handle more stress than what we give them credit for. Perhaps I spoke to soon, because I first made this post immediately after having bent them over, Who knows, maybe tomorrow they;ll look all sickly. I doubt it tough, because I've mangled plants worse than that and they still kept on growing as though nothing happened at all.

PS. I very carefully squeezed (pinched the stem) until it squished inside and kept it up until they comfortably lay over perfectly horizontally under the light. I ddin't snap the stems.

They are some tough plants for sure. I've had plants outdoors that had storm damage that would have freaked most people out..lol.. but they pulled through and made it just fine...take care..

I just checked them out. They're just fine.

Heck, I just bend them over till they crease at 90 degrees. They do tend to try and spring back up a little within a few days unless they are tied down at that point. Never had one (the cola) die on me. My plants outgrow the height limit from time to time and I have no choice, plus it keeps a nice even canopy.

I'll see if I can borrow my Mom's camera again. My good friend had a camera like my mom's, but he moved. I just need a stupid excuse to borrow her camera and it'll be in my possession again.

tell her your freind got in a wreck and her camera has an excellent lighting quality for showing dents =)

and im always surprised at how resilient plants can actualy be....

imo, id just use strings/ties. the less stress ya induce, ie pinching stems, the more your ladies will love ya. more energy for buds/resin vs wasted energy on stem repair. my 2 pennies.

Yes CoolAsaFan, I took that into consideration before bending those colas over. I decided that the minimal time it would take to repair itself (which isn't much time at all )would be negligible and the buds would profit from more direct light.

Yes, if you do that to a plant it is more stressful than merely tying it down, but when I tried tying these colas down, they over-shadowed the other plants. And rearranging the plants and raising some an lowering others in an effort to maintain an even canopy was hurting my back too much. They'll be just fine. I've done it before and I don't know why I hesitated at first when doing it this time, because it has always worked for me.

I had one of those Thai-Super Skunks and no matter how much I pinched and inadvertently mangled it at times, it kept growing without missing a beat. I ultimately gave it away to a person who was able to grow it outdoors where it belongs.

i know EXACTLY what you mean about hurting your back. im young and i can get pretty soar trying to weave in and out of strings everywhere trying to keep an even canopy lol. cant wait until im using all clones and have a uniform grow!

Howdy Alistair! I did the pinch thing myself on two tonight. They are probably male, but I got tired of adjusting the light for them every night. I have a Thai SS question. I am growing one or 2 outside right now. Any idea how big they get? Should I not consider flowering the clones indoors? Best of luck!

Sir_Tokie said:
They are some tough plants for sure. I've had plants outdoors that had storm damage that would have freaked most people out..lol.. but they pulled through and made it just fine...take care..

reassurance is nice. :cool:

I get scared over the smallest little changes. resilience is good news.

Hey, 420benny. The plant that I gave away is getting rather big, but relatively bushy. I understand that if left alone to do their own thing, they tend to grow tall and lanky.

I hope your plants work well for you. I wouldn't try to grow the Thai Super Skunk inside; it might take up too much space. From what I've read, the T-SS is exclusively an outdoor strain.

Latest posts

Back