Is it ok to clone a clone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowUsome

Reaction score
i've heard many things about it but no one gives a clear answer. what are the pros and cons of both.

I have done this with clones I bought from blue sky cafe. They like to put 6 clones in one 6" rockwool cube and there is no safe way to break them apart with out destroying the roots so I cut each clone of and recloned it in my ez-cloner. I originally bought 18 clones and was able to get 20 out of them. So far only 1 has died.

They say there's degredation. I have ran a clone of a clone...thats as far as i went and i didn't notice much difference.

yeah, i've heard that the potency in decreased every time you do it

Unless you have a spontaneous genetic mutation nothing will be lost. Everything else is wives tales with no science to back it. I have in my posession a plant that has been kept alive through cloning for over 13 years now and it is as potent as the day the seed was cracked. This plant has never been kept alive through the use of a long term mother and is instead cloned before each flowering cycle from the plants going into flowering. This means that in a given year the plant may have gone through 5 generations of cloning, multiply that by 13 years you get a possible 65 generations of cloning give or take depending on how active he was that year in his growing.

I've heard that pigs fly when the moon is full and they were fed corn the night before but I highly doubt this makes it true.

clone (kln)
n.
1. A cell, group of cells, or organism that is descended from and genetically identical to a single common ancestor, such as a bacterial colony whose members arose from a single original cell.
2. An organism descended asexually from a single ancestor, such as a plant produced by layering or a polyp produced by budding.
3. A DNA sequence, such as a gene, that is transferred from one organism to another and replicated by genetic engineering techniques.
4. One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: "filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits" (Michael M. Thomas).
v. cloned, clon·ing, clones
v.tr.
1. To make multiple identical copies of (a DNA sequence).
2. To create or propagate (an organism) from a clone cell: clone a sheep.
3. To reproduce or propagate asexually: clone a plant variety.
4. To produce a copy of; imitate closely: "The look has been cloned into cliché" (Cathleen McGuigan).

Number 4 does not apply to the discussion in either instance but was left for posterity.

Tater said:
Unless you have a spontaneous genetic mutation nothing will be lost. Everything else is wives tales with no science to back it. I have in my posession a plant that has been kept alive through cloning for over 13 years now and it is as potent as the day the seed was cracked. This plant has never been kept alive through the use of a long term mother and is instead cloned before each flowering cycle from the plants going into flowering. This means that in a given year the plant may have gone through 5 generations of cloning, multiply that by 13 years you get a possible 65 generations of cloning give or take depending on how active he was that year in his growing.

I've heard that pigs fly when the moon is full and they were fed corn the night before but I highly doubt this makes it true.

Number 4 does not apply to the discussion in either instance but was left for posterity.
:yeahthat:Thanks Tater... I have cloned a clones clone and that clone become a Mother for more clones...and Im High as Hell...:bong:

No problem 4u glad to see ya around bro.

hey to me it takes a long timg for a clone to loose pot.
i think its a great way to keep your favorite strain for many years...
i hope that i have helped you some.

I've also cloned and cloned clones of cloned clones that were clones from the original clone that I cloned and it just keeps growing dank bud... just like the last time I grew THAT dank bud... for years... and years... I've never noticed ANY genetic drift or degradation.

Nada...:cool:

Right now all of my plants are clones of clones. Granted I only have three, but one was an original clone from the mother, then I cloned from that one and then I cloned from that one. Essentially its just the same plant just growing in different locations, just like an apple tree!

Clones of clones of clones of clone... "eventually" have lost vigor, health AND potency in my experiences. BUT only after probably a dozen generations or so.
"Personal" first hand experience.

Hick is right on target. Having never taken it so far, I've read in several sources that at between 11 and 13 generations of clones, the plant will have a MARKED decrease in thc and the plant characteristics will alter, sometimes to very strange new ways.

I've never gotten past a 5th generation, and oldest of those was a 20 year old strain of Thai that I finally let go.

StoneyBud said:
Hick is right on target. Having never taken it so far, I've read in several sources that at between 11 and 13 generations of clones, the plant will have a MARKED decrease in thc and the plant characteristics will alter, sometimes to very strange new ways.

I've never gotten past a 5th generation, and oldest of those was a 20 year old strain of Thai that I finally let go.

Care to post your sources I would be interested in reading them.

Hick said:
Clones of clones of clones of clone... "eventually" have lost vigor, health AND potency in my experiences. BUT only after probably a dozen generations or so.
"Personal" first hand experience.

You say the plant lost health and vigor, is it not possible that these are the reasons that the potency was reduced? Perhaps the plant contracted a disease. Would either you or stoney please explain to me how a plant "forgets" its genetic code. How does a plant lose DNA?

Answer, it can't. Unless it suffered from a mutation at some point, which is beyond rare in mature plants.

I have some white widow that is a couple generations out and all of the sudden it started to hermie on me late in flower. Do you think this is a result of cloning, or could it be ph or nute changes? It is not a light leak, i have checked that, the only other differance is that i added an air conditioner to keep things a little cooler.

Tater said:
You say the plant lost health and vigor, is it not possible that these are the reasons that the potency was reduced? Perhaps the plant contracted a disease. Would either you or stoney please explain to me how a plant "forgets" its genetic code. How does a plant lose DNA?

Answer, it can't. Unless it suffered from a mutation at some point, which is beyond rare in mature plants.
there were no diseases.. I'm telling you what "I" personally have experienced on more than one occasion.
Not quoting anyones studies. BUT, I have read similar reults to what stoney quoted. I know that there was an explanation regarding the possible reasons behind the degredation posted here, somewhere, and sometime ago.

Tater said:
Care to post your sources I would be interested in reading them.
You'll have to look them up. I would too now. It's been awhile.

Tater said:

I'm sorry, but because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it impossible. It's a recognised characteristic of marijuana clones. It's documented, so it won't be too hard for you to research. The reason for it in each source I've found, is unknown. Many theories, no solid proof of why it happens, but it happens consistently.

Edit: So you won't think I'm picking on you Tater, I'll explain why I've left it up to you to research. This site is a help site for people who want to learn about marijuana from people who have experience in doing so. When I offer help, very simply put, I'm not going to provide sources for everything I post. When I post something, it's either from a reputable source or from my own experience. I almost always make it clear which. If it's from a handy source like one of my grow books, and it's near me, I *may* open it and type out the passage that pertains to my advice. If not, then if someone thinks it's inaccurate advice, they're welcome to say so and provide a cite from their own source if they like.

I've grown weed for a little over 60 years. I've read more research about growing it then most people on the planet. My experience speaks for itself, and I'm not going to look up everything I say about MJ to the group. If someone doesn't believe it, then fine. Go about your business and don't believe it. I really don't care. If you look it up, you'll find that what I said is true. Do so or not, again, it makes no difference to me. I'm not running all over the net trying to find something I read, just because one person chooses not to believe it. If it's important to you, then YOU run all over the web and find it yourself. Be sure to let me know if you find reputable sources that prove me wrong and I'll gladly retract what I said and I'll even thank you.

I've run up to about 9 or 10 generations of clones and not seen any change at all. Then I lost them all to heat this year.

Latest posts

Back