is it true that when you take a clone the potency gets weaker every time you clone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all who chimed in here...a very good read.

cadlakmike1 said:
No harm done, you just missed my point by leaving off the next sentence.

Definition of genetic drift: Alteration in gene frequencies that usually occurs in a small population and results from chance processes alone, not from natural selection, mutations, or immigration.

That is why I don't believe it is the correct term here. If you took 50 clones from a plant, and a few showed some odd variance, that could be chalked up as genetic drift. Genetic drift is usually applied in variations from parent's to offspring, not in clones. If you took 10 clone, and then took it to 100 generations later and all those clones exhibited the same degradation, that is an entirely different phenomenon. I'm not sure why this term is so commonly used in reference to this though.

I originaly called it genetic drift at the beginnig of the thread, and the reason being (I think) is that most of the books I have read about marijuana when it comes to this topic refer to it as genetic drift, I understand what you are saying; lumping all change into this term does not seem right, and I agree with you 100%. I used the term because most of the grow books use the term when this topic is discussed. Did I just say the same thing twice...lol..sorry:hubba:

Oh yeah...and DOS the "they" that I was refering to are the combined authors of said marijuana books.

Latest posts

Back