Is this budrot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
After drying for a week and curing for a week the buds are a dark green and when I pulled this particular bud open it looked brown. It looks like alot of brown hairs but I wanted to make sure it wasn't rotten.

Bud Rot?.jpg

I'm not sure but I don't think that is bud rot. It looks more like the bud may have over dried. I would smell it and see if you can detect any moldy, earthy, or sour smell. Does it feel real crisp and crumbly? or is it soft and pliable and somewhat moist?

Hushpuppy said:
I'm not sure but I don't think that is bud rot. It looks more like the bud may have over dried. I would smell it and see if you can detect any moldy, earthy, or sour smell. Does it feel real crisp and crumbly? or is it soft and pliable and somewhat moist?

It is not dusty crumbly. There's still a little moisture in the bud when pulled apart. The outside is crispy though.

Hairy looking dark stuff can be Asperillius, a form of Mold. Not good. There are links here that shows different types of Mold. You should check them out. Dont smoke it if it has that stuff on it.

Bud rot usually shows up in growing and uncured bud. It turns the buds to a mushy gunk where it is affected. It is caused by too much moisture in the air when the bud is near finish.

It shouldnt look brown inside.
Take another picture under natural lighting.

Given the time frame that you gave for drying and curing, and now that you say it is crispy on the outside, I am inclined to think that you dried it too fast and/or under heat or wind and that has overdried it. If it doesn't have a musty, old shoe smell then its probably not any kind of rot. I agree with TC about the rot usually makes the bud slimy and mushy inside. I can't see any kind of mold or mildue so if it passes the sniff test I would say its ok.

I don't see anything wrong. The coloring is kind of odd, but different strains, different drying and curing techniques, all can have an effect on the outcome. Can you smell anything unusual? how did you dry and cure it?

When I have gotten budrot, the inside of the bud feels kind of mooshy and there is an odor (not good) to it. I seldom get bud rot because of arid climate, but sometimes those dense buds can develop it.

Thanks guys. The bud doesn't smell bad at all. I forgot to mention the strain is nirvana ice. It smells a little fruity so far. It has only been in the jar for a few days. All my main cola buds look darker on the inside though. Maybe I do need more practice on drying and curing. Anybody else ever grow nirvana ice here?

you can put a humidistat like is used for reptiles in with the curing bud.this will let you know how much moisture is in there.keep it around 60%,less will be too dry,while anything over 70% is too wet and could cause mold to develop.

My Nirvana Ice is in the dry cab at the moment!

Latest posts

Back