is this good??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjane22

Reaction score
okay i know alot of people want to know how big my grow room is going to be because this is my first time but i wanted to let everyone see what i want to work with here..and give me advice on what i should use to grow my 1st plants...i plan on getting rid of those white bins so i have more room

Looks like you've got about 1 square meter there, so you're going to need a 600w HPS. Paint the walls white so as to reflect as much light as possible.

Nice little spot you have there. Could fit 9 plants in there. Only problem I can forsee is ventilation. Have you put any thought into that ?

Is thats shelf a window sill, if so you'll need to cover that window.

Oh, and one more thing, you'll either need to get that carpet off the floor or cover it with something. Accidents will happen !

Good luck RBH

no the shelves are for storage..there are no windows at all..oh and my walls are white already..so u said i could fit nine..the max i want to grow is 5..i might start out by doing 3..oh and to answer your question about the ventilation..yea i was pretty worried about that because there is absolutly no vent. in this little closet..but then i read a little and i heard if u do the closet setup then just opening the door a few times a day or cracking the door would be more than enough..what do you think

i also was wondering what is the point of a grow box?? is it better to grow in a grow box..i have two of these old bedroom set cabinets that i could use..they are about 1ft 6in x 1ft 6in..should i grow in those because i kind of feel like that closet is a perfect growing spot

Hey maryjane.........

Use the closet. Your box does not have the height even for a micro grow. You'll thank yourself later by using the closet.

I agree with RBH - 600 watt HPS, a little ventilation, and your off to a running start with your garden.

thanks potbelly..
well about the ventilation part..there is absolutly no ventilation in there but i read that by just opening the door a few times a day will do the job..oh and how much would an hps cost me??could i pick it up at like a local walmart or home depot?? o and i still need to know what the purpose of a grow box is..does it make the plant yield more??

http://www.growell.co.uk/p/0231/GroW...tion-Kits.html

youll need something like that for your ventilation. 5 ladies in there is gonna work up a stink.

http://growell.co.uk/p/1084/Budget-H...t-Systems.html

thats a good light too.

you dont ned a grow box you have a conceiled space, there only needed if you need to grow stealth in a large room you could us them 2 boxes, put a little work in get them stacked on top of each other, add a few cfl's and pc fans, and you got yourself a cutting/seedling box.

great room you got there, do it right first time round and you will get good results.

welcome to MP youll find everything you need here good luck

85C

Home Depot you can. Ventilation is good to get rid of alarming smells from your MJ. Most rely on a DIY Carbon filters and output fans to force air out of the grow area and through the Carbon filter thus alleviating the odors. input fans are suggested as well so your plants get a circulation of fresh oxygen. Also to lower temperatures to a norm I believe.

so are u saying that i should buy carbon flilters and leave the closet door open???im confused!!! some people tell me that opening the door to check on the plant is more than enough..how much would the light cost me?

For the light you will not be able to find a big enough one a home depot or walmart. The biggest they have is 70 watt and you need 400-600watt. I bouught my 400W HPS from htgsupply.com for $150 with shipping.

You will also need to vent that closet. That light will be pumping out some heat and your closet will become a oven. You have a few options on how to solve this. It all depends on your setup. Do you own this property? Does this closet have a attic right above it or another floor? Where is your heating and cooling ducts located (attic or basement)?

here is an idea for how to ventilate for you if this place your in is rented you can buy a cheepo door at a local harware shop (outlets have them too places like big lots) and put you a 10" fan in the top and in the bottom replace the one that you have hangin there with the modified one set up a fan inside the grow room (osclateing (misspelled) 10-20") and run them all on low that should take care of the air flow for you if you can and to keep light out of the room in the dark times you can build little half triangle "boxes" to nail or screw in to from the back side of the door (kinda like a dryer exaust vent housing on the outside of most homes)

* this method may not be for those who wish to keep the grow room secret due to the point of fans hanging in the door*

Dubbaman said:
here is an idea for how to ventilate for you if this place your in is rented you can buy a cheepo door at a local harware shop (outlets have them too places like big lots) and put you a 10" fan in the top and in the bottom replace the one that you have hangin there with the modified one set up a fan inside the grow room (osclateing (misspelled) 10-20") and run them all on low that should take care of the air flow for you if you can and to keep light out of the room in the dark times you can build little half triangle "boxes" to nail or screw in to from the back side of the door (kinda like a dryer exaust vent housing on the outside of most homes)

* this method may not be for those who wish to keep the grow room secret due to the point of fans hanging in the door*

i really dont understand what u were saying..u said buy a new door and hang fans from it..or something like that..i dont get how that would work..

ok a bit better explaniation if your renting a home or apt you can take the door that is part of the property off its hinges and replace it with a new door that you have bought and made alterations to as for the new door you cut out 2 holes in it one in the top(pulls out heat) and one in the bottom ( pulls in cool floor space air) make sure that the holes are the same size as your fans that will go in the door if a bit bigger you can find was to clamp it into place using screws zip ties etc but if it is the same diameter as the fan it whould fit snug and then one fan in the room to circulate air

Dubbaman said:
ok a bit better explaniation if your renting a home or apt you can take the door that is part of the property off its hinges and replace it with a new door that you have bought and made alterations to as for the new door you cut out 2 holes in it one in the top(pulls out heat) and one in the bottom ( pulls in cool floor space air) make sure that the holes are the same size as your fans that will go in the door if a bit bigger you can find was to clamp it into place using screws zip ties etc but if it is the same diameter as the fan it whould fit snug and then one fan in the room to circulate air

Thats a good idea but if her landlord every stops by they will really wonder whats going on in that closet. :shocked:

bigbudsbruddah said:
Thats a good idea but if her landlord every stops by they will really wonder whats going on in that closet. :shocked:

all i can say is dont be late on the rent :hubba:

I got a good fix for you if you are renting,take the door off the hinges,just pull the pins,they go right back in.No harm no foul,right;) Then take some thick black plastic cut it bigger then the door about 3 in. on each side and about that on the top.Leave like an extra 8 in. on the ground.Then take a 2 pieces of cardboard about 2 in square,put one of them squares of cardboard at the top two corners and then nail that up holding the plastic right under it.The cardboard is so the plastic wont rip on you.Now take some velcrow cut like 8 strips 5 in. long.Space 4 stripes out on each side of the door,then line the other side of the velcrow up and put that on the plastic.That will hold the sides down and in place.Now you can roll that plastic up and down,to keep it up take two screw hooks and put one on each side of the top of the doorway and take a small bungie ans hook it to each hook,when the plastic is up,that way its out of your way,you can either keep it up a little or take some dry vent hose and rig up a small fan on one end and run that hose under the plastic when it is down.There you go freash air.Then just make another run it the other way,set that one end with the fan inside,run the hose out under the plastic,there you go exhaust.I hope this helps and you can get a minds eye for what I am saying.The fans you can get at a computer store for like $5.Also,still keep a fan in on the plants.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

HEre's how you do it.

Keep the original door. Hopefully it swings out, if not it will just require more space. IF it swings in , leave enough space for the door to swing into the closet, then create a plastic door with plastic or trash bags or something more sturdy like some of the reflective surfaces you can buy at grow shops. Cut holes in your plastic door for ventilation as describe in this post. Also leave enough for the door to close (more like curtains probably.)

When you need to be stealth at the last minute, just turn everthing in there off and close the door. (make sure you have a swithc handy. This could even be a surge protector.) Throw some dirty underwear on the doornob to discourage anyone opening it for any reason.

This way, you can have a good odor filtration system/exhaust and intake and still keep the door as is.

If youd on't hae proper odor control, even with the closet door, you'll be able to be detected. That unexpected trip from the landlord could be bad. With odor control, he won't have any reason for even thinking about going in the closet.

just looked at your pic again and it I see your door swings out. Just make it so you can close the door normally and you'll have all the closet space.

Well what if maryjane22 is a female, there are pervs that would pick up dirty panties.

In terms of temperature and ventilation, I'll give you an example of what I'm going through. I have a 40 cubic foot box that I'm setting up. The air temp without my 400W MH on is about 72 deg. With the light on, and with my 80 CFM exhaust fan, the temps got up to 91 degrees within 90 minutes.

If you have a 600W HID light in that closet, my guess is that you're going to need some serious ventilation.

Latest posts

Back