light question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATBOY

Reaction score
hey yall I just moved my 2 week old babies under a highbay 400 watt metal halide with 2 4 foot floro's on the sides. they have been there for about 4 days at 28 to 32 inches I moved them up this morn to 22 to 24 inches was this a good move ? I also have a fan blowing up toward the light to cool it is that too close for my young ones

imo i dont think so are your plants looking happy ? any sign of burning on the tips ? if not they shuld be fine :peace:

how do your babies look...if their gettin good growth and lookn healthy they should handle it fine. i would move it down a couple inches every couple days at this point(till 12-18in). just watch'em careful. PICS?

I usually move my lights in a little slower than that. Unless u are around and can routinely check on them, it would be ok. Sometimes I don't get to check on mine for a couple of days in a row, so I try to be a little cautious. It doesn't take long to burn little plants, and they usually have a hard time recovering. CH

Put your hand right above the canopy of the plants, below the light. If your hand gets hot then it's too close. If I was to put some 2 week olds under my 400w hps i'd probably have them almost 2 ft away. I think a mh burns hotter than a hps though but i'm not positive.

luckily(i think) im around 24/7 and cant hardly stay out of my room for 30min.

bombbudpuffa said:
Put your hand right above the canopy of the plants, below the light. If your hand gets hot then it's too close.

The hand test advice from bombbudpuffa is good advice

I keep my 400 watt hps about 12 inches from the tops without problems but MH do burn a little hotter so I think around 16-18 inches, you would be ok. Since their so young, I would take the above advice and start them a little farther away, lowering daily. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back