lucas formula?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ta2dguy

Reaction score
I am sorry but i cannot find a specific thread on the lucas formula. if i could be directed to a thread about it or get some replies from some experienced with it would be greatly appreciated. happy growing.

I know Mindzeye knows about it and is using it..maybe hit him up with a pm and he can steer you in the right direction...

From the man himself...

"The current Lucasized Formula with GH Flora is still 0-8-16 as you said. Other nutes, such as PBP can also be made to approximate similar NPKMg values, for example PBPBloom @ 15ml/gal plus 5ml/gal Cal Mag.., or 8ml/gal Flora Nova Bloom

Both with target TDS @.7 of about 1300ppm (use less FNB, like 6ml/gal if your TDS exceeds 1400 with 8ml)

The original reservoir strategy I learned from pH was to dump and replace as you described, once an equal volume of addback water has reached. IOW, when a 20 gallon res, got 20 gallons of top up water, the res was dumped and refilled at fresh 0-8-16. This was not with pH adjusted water, because it works best to allow the res pH to fluctuate within a range of 5.3 to 6.3

An alternate reservoir management strategy I now prefer, is to add nutes to the reservoir in the addback water. The goal is to bring the reservoir back up to 1300ppm. In this strategy, I feel a single res change at harvest is sufficient.

Despite the obvious concern that this non dumping approach allows toxins to build up, I never experienced toxin buildup. this surprised me and caused me to alter my thinking about plant metabolism. It seems they do not excrete toxins the way organisms with digestive tracts do.

How much nutes goes in the addback water varies by res to light ratio. For example, a 50 gallon res under a single 1k can be topped with 33% of 0-8-16, and the 1300 tds will be approximately achieved... Im not a stickler for that number, and am happy fluctuating anywhere between 1100 and 1500ppm over the course of a week, such that if one chooses to top only with water for a few days, the nuteing can be done in a single session each week.

If the same 50 gallon res is used under twice as much light, it will probably require twice as much nutes in the addback water.

The most primary concern is to achieve the TDS increase, while staying within pH range

adding nutes lowers pH, so sometimes one can avoid pH adjusting, by adding more or less nutes
adding water raises pH, so dont adjust a reservoir, until it is topped up with water and nutes"

thanks alot hl and nouvellechef. very appreciated.

i dont know LF. i am not much for big name sites and such. i look hard into personal experiences more than experience/opinion coming from a scientist that may have a biast/paid opinion. no offense intended LF. if i walk into a car dealership and you were there and a salesman were there and you both test drove the 2 cars i was gonna choose 1 from, i am going to take your opinion more seriousy because you got nuthin to gain from my decision :). i have looked on their site but to no avail, maybe i didnt look hard enough :):). same as when my interest in mycorrizhae was peaked :) every site i looked at sold "the best" but when i asked around here i got varied opinions from different peoples experience and made my own choice based on a majority of peoples experiences with different products. sorry lol i am rambling :). nice rambling weed im puffin on this morning :).

There's nothing on there site. Alot of places that supply equipment designed for purposes that we don't talk about, are under alot of pressure right now. I posted in another thread about Sun Systems. Great local company, has come under fire lately. When a grow gets busted, they see the equipment. Then start asking questions. It's very hard for a Ceo/coo to have to sit down with DEA while all there employees, vendors, etc, watch as it plays out. It's very embarrasing in all honesty.

Ahhh I see Nouvelle...didn't realize the heat was on.

Ta2...I thought you already had the stuff and were looking for directions....lol. I didn't realize you were just inquireing...your right, they all have the best...I just thought you had a general question on how to use. misunderstanding...lol...thats why I thought they had like feeding schedules in a zip file or something. I know what your saying on finding info. I have tried to read up on their organic line, and the best reading I have found on it was in Jmans nute study right here at home...lol...go figure!

Good luck in your search....I've never used it.

Well I got here too late lol... The formula works great, if you use it in a system with mag drive pumps you will have to supplement iron, I just learned this. Since I was growing DWC I didnt know about the pumps.. Im using e&f now and the iron falls out of the solution rapidly.. Ive been adding cal-mag but I think Im going to just pick up some iron chelate so I dont get too much calcium and magnesium in my nutes...

Latest posts

Back