medium?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlover22

Reaction score
What are some ways/chemicals to soak a medium in... I'm using a rockwool medium.

Well, I only use rock wool in Hydro when growing from seed.... I germ the seeds paper towel style and then use a 1 in cube when a tap root shows...... let it veg and continue the initial sprouting and set the 1 in cube into a larger cube when i think roots will show out the bottom.. I try not to wait till they show...

That did not answer your question though, I am just qualifying where I am coming from..... I usually dont soak my rock wool, I know that maybe I should, but I never have. I also do hydro in tap water so, I am not a purist LOL, however I am looking into a whole house RO water system.

IF you want to soak your rockwool, I would say soak your wool for 24 hours in a water solution of your targeted PH. Rock wool tends to raise PH (brand specific though) on the initial soak..... If you soak in your targetted PH, then that will negate the later raise, or reduce it anyway.

it is said that you should soak rockwool in a lower Ph range(like 5.0-5.5) than the targeted 5.8 to absorb excess lime..

read this:
hXXp://www.living-learning.com/faq/rwphfaq.htm

I pre-soak my 1" rockwool cubes in DI water about 3 or 4 hours before popping the new seedlings in. I have never had an issue. so far 100% success rate.

diablo_cannabis said:
I pre-soak my 1" rockwool cubes in DI water about 3 or 4 hours before popping the new seedlings in. I have never had an issue. so far 100% success rate.

I have heard people that irrigate rockwool cubes with a solution water/root stimulator before inserting there seed. Anyone have experience with this, and know a good brand ?

Root stimulator and distiller water sound like my best bet. For a root stimulator I hear earth juice is a good brand.

Remember not to have your cubes completely saturated when germinating; you want those babies to be able to breathe a little

Latest posts

Back