Mini pc fan carbon filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i just wanted to share a lil project i made yesterday. I started having some smell problems with my girls. I have a huge vortex fan/carbon scrubber hooked up to my cool tube, that turns on when my lights are on. But when lights are off, the closet is starting to really stink, and i really dont want the big fan on 24/7, suckin over 100w continuously. So, i got thinking, and decided to put a lil pc fan at the top of my cab, to use as a secondary exhaust when lights are off. So, i concocted a diy mini carbon scrubber for it. I have the fan mounted inside the cab and mounted the filter on the outside of the cab so the fan is pushing air out the top.

step 1- take 1"x2" trim wood and make a 10"x7" box(i made mine about 1/3 bigger than my fan, but any size may do).
step 2- staple carbon replacement filter(4 for $9 at walmart) to the bottom.
step 3- staple wire hardware cloth over the carbon filter for stability.
step 4- turn over and fill with activated carbon to the top.
step 5- take a 2nd carbon replacement filter and cover top and staple.
step 6- take a 2nd wire hardware cloth and cover filter and staple.
step 7- use hammer and lightly pound down any sharp wire edges to avoid injury while installing.
step 8- drill a small hole in each corner for mounting screws.

(optional: instead of using wire hardware cloth for the 2nd side, u can enclose the top with wood paneling with a matching 4" hole in it, for a tighter seal.)

P7090472.JPG

P7090474.JPG

P7090473.JPG

anyway of showing us how this is connected in your grow area ?

here2learn said:
anyway of showing us how this is connected in your grow area ?

Like i mentioned above in the tutorial, i just made a 4" hole in the top of my cab. Then i mounted the pc fan inside the cab, blowing out the hole, and mounted the filter outside the cab, on top of the hole. Easy as that. :hubba:

Btw, it works amazing. I was even able to turn off my main filter.

Nice design!

I'd like to see how you installed it too. Carbon filters are one of those things likely to give you away... there isn't a lot of other reasons to be buying them.

So being able to build them yourself helps out a lot.

Latest posts

Back