Mother Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh0636

Reaction score
Is there a step by step process somewhere that I can look at? I want to know all the details of how to make one of my plants a mother plant. When should I start taking cuttings from my plant? They're two or three weeks into 12/12 lighting.

mothers you leave on a veg cycle...and feed plenty of Nitrogen. you take cuttings after she reaches alternating nodes. cut branches low on the plant so they will root easier.

meristems also make good clones- goodluck!

How am I supposed to know if their male or female if I leave the mother in veg?

Take cuttings from the mother and flower them.

cfh0636 said:

:yeahthat:

Or just leave in 24/7 until plants are sexually mature and form preflowers.

It is really hard to root clones that are taken this far into flowering, so I would recommend taking clones asap. There are excellent posts on how to clone--do a search and decide which method appeals to you. Keep one of the rooted clones as a mother. Keep your mom in veg with low light (fluoros) and minimum nutes.

I took clones 14 days in flowering, and out of 12 that i took, 3 died.

cfh0636 said:

When first starting out its important to watch all plants to keep the healthiest greeniest??? most viabrant plant for your mother. I would recommend when growing out plants to keep a mother keeping them in veg for 40-50 days so they will mature and show their pre-flowers. All the females will have pistils at the internodes (ballon shaped bags with two hairs sticking out) these will be the females that you should keep for your mother. Once you have found your mothers top all branches to encourage bushy spread out growth which will later provide more branches for clones

well they're way beyond that they have buds now haha. I read that there is no way to tell if its male or female unless you put it into flowering.

cfh0636 said:
well they're way beyond that they have buds now haha. I read that there is no way to tell if its male or female unless you put it into flowering.

That is not correct. Virtually every strain that I have grown shows preflowers while still in veg (24/7 light).

Just look closely at the internodes (spots where branches meet) you should find your preflowers there

Latest posts

Back