My 1st grow = microgrow under less than ideal conditions :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audix2359

Reaction score
Hopefully, this will be the start of my grow journal. I've been forced to scale down my grow room set up a few times due to "the boss" not being real happy with it. I started at a full scale walk-in closet grow that had to be scaled down to a wardrobe/automan grow. I got everything just about set up with that and tested my HID light and had some bad (93+) temp problems. I was able to get the temps down to the upper 80's so I put the HID away for later use. I've recently ordered about 240 watts worth of LED's and had planned to use those in the wardrobe that's got 3.5 square feet dedicated to growing.

Earlier in the week I germed some seeds and planted 16 of them last night, including some white widows that had put out some huge taproots. So, after everything's planted and on their way "the boss" shuts the operation down.

So, I've still got quite a few seeds I can germ and a boatload of LED's in transit as well as some CFL's. My only option is a super stealth grow outside the home.

I shopped around today and found a 42 gallon Rubbermaid type container for cheap. I'm thinking of getting that and throwing between 80 and 105 watts of LED's in there and a few plants. My 3 biggest obsticles are:

1. Noise - It can't be constant. I can get away with some noise for about 7-8 hours per day so I'm planning on venting, just not full time. I figure that with the LED's this shouldn't be an issue.

2. Smell - I can't have any. I figure that this should be easy enough as my plants will be small and I can use ONA, a plug in charcoal filter and some plug in's to take care of it. I am planning to grow Magic Bud and either Ice or Crystal. Any idea if any one of these puts off a real big odor?

3. Space - The container is a little over 2 feet high. With LED's, I think I'll be able to pull this off. I'm going to go with lighting to the top and side, so I'll have 4 corners of lights near the top. I'm going to use desk lamps and use Y splitters to create more light. With the desk lamps, I'll also have more flexability in positioning the lamps to get the most light on the plants. I'm also going to use 12/12 from seed in hopes of keeping the plant small.

If I'm lucky enough to get the boss to let me keep a few plants until my LED's arrive and I get my new box set up, I'll have a few seedlings to move. If not, I'll need to regerm, etc.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I get the box set up. I really hope some of you who have done micro's in the past can give me some advice and pointers along the way. I'd rather do a larger grow (this will be my first) under better conditions but this what I've got to work with at the moment.

Latest posts

Back