My first 1000 Watt grow (Sour D, Chem Dawg, others)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmentat

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've never posted a complete grow journal. I usually get bored around the middle and then too busy towards the end. Now, I know there are a lot of grow journals around so you might be saying to yourself hey this is just one more BUT I'm hoping that some of you guys might become at least mildly interested in what I'm doing and maybe egg me on a little bit if I get lazy with my updates. I really want to do this all the way through. And this grow has a little bit of a twist... dun dun dun..... To do this grow someone is lending me their super awesome professionally built grow room! Everything is being done under the prop215 guidelines, just in case you wondered. There's definitely a bit of pressure on me to perform. And to be honest, even though I've been doing this for FOUR YEARS I've yet to get more than just under three quarters of a pound per 4 plants under a 600 watt light, and these guys are going to want 1lb per light or they're going to cut off my pinky (JK) :D . Now, this is a 1000 watt light grow room, which I'm not used to, and the PURE POWER of these lights is a little bit daunting.

I'm already super grateful for all the help I've received from the grow geniuses and beginners at MP over the last four years. So, it's all good. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :) :) :) :)

This is the picture:

12 1000 watt lights arranged in three rows-- it was built to be a hydro room but I'm doing soil -- It's about 17x17 but there are big isles to walk in
Minisplit AC
CO2 generator
99 plant limit.

I've been using Fox Farm nutes for the veg so far (Grow Big, Big Bud and Botanicare Calmag, and Mychorize at 6.4PH 1200PPM usually feeding about 2x per 10 days with a water in between)

I just turned the CO2 on four days ago and it's at 600PPM
Temp at a steady 76 degrees 45% humidity

I've been vegging at my house for this project for a couple months now and I started bringing plants over to this zone about seven days ago. At my place they were being fed the same thing, with the same CO2, under 600 HPS watt lights, with slightly higher temps.

So far I've got around 40 Sour Diesel, 30 Chemdawg #4s, 20 Pats (Deep PurplexAfghooxTrainwreck), 5 Blue Dream, and a few assorted (Sensi Star, Blueberry Headband, Master Kush, and Headband). The Headband and Blue Dreams were neglected and but they're healing up nicely. Because these plants all vary in size my plan is to do 4 to 9 plants per 1000 watt light. Some of them are nearly 4' tall already so I'm planning on doing some trelissing to create a SCROG of sorts. Right now, everything is under Metal Halide. I'm planning on getting everything stable and then encouraging them to flower by the 21st.

Here are my concerns so far: Is it going to be OK to feed the whole room at around 1200PPM (I've read that Sour Diesel doesn't like to go over that) because it would be a pain to have to make up separate batches for the different strains. I know that Chemdawg and Sour Diesel are cousins so I'm thinking it'll be ok.

These lights are WAY too powerful. There is already some bleaching. I'm keeping the lights 2.5-3 feet away, keeping the temps low and there are fans blowing directly on everything. How do people keep their plants from bleaching and freaking out under 1000 watt lights? I'm definitely going to have some issues with this because I can't raise the lights anymore and the plants haven't even stretched yet! Anyone have any creative ideas?

I don't know how this SCROG is going to turn out but it's necessary because the plants are already so tall and with the design of the room I can't raise the lights any higher. I need to read up on it but I'm basically going to rig some trellesing and then weave the large plants in and out of it.

I'm getting some kind of discoloration on some of the plants. I'm confused because I'm growing the same plants at my place and there's no discoloration. The only difference is the lights (600watt HPS at my place, 1000watt metal halide here) I'm thinking it might be the lights but I'm not sure. I've posted pics below. LMK what you think.

I'm moving the PATs (they've already been sexed) into the room tomorrow or the next day and setting up the other 4 lights.

Well, that's about it for now. As always I'm totally open to any comments, critique, etc. I'll be posting updates and more and better pics soon.

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

everything looks really good. good luck with the grow

Good luck with the grow!
In pic 3 they look a lil unhappy but look good none the less.

Green mojo for your grow.

Welcome, home-skillets. Good eye bubba902, those girls in the pic are indeed unhappy. I took the picture when I first entered the room and they were in need of water. I don't live right next to the grow and I'm still getting the watering schedule down. Speaking of water.... Time to beat my room mates to the shower. I'm going to upload more pics this evening after I drop off the PATS (Deep PurplexAfghooxTrainwreck)
Thanks you guys!

I've been working with what looks like nute lock out. I've posted some pics in the Sick Plants forum. I've switched over to RO water completely and today I gave them a feeding with a lowered PPM of 720 (60 of it being the RO water) and 6.3 PH. For the last three days I turned off the lights over the SDs which seem to have been affected the most. This slows things down and takes some of the stress off them. Makes them think it's a cloudy day and there's plenty of time to relax and heal. During that time I just gave them enough well water to keep them from wilting. Today I switched those lights back on. I plan on keeping the PPMs really low (I also included some EJ microboost and metak in the last feeding) and maybe doing a small flush. I should know within the next three days if it's working.

This whole row is Sour Diesel (A really good pheno from Santa Cruz). They've got nute lock out symptoms too.
IMG_2341.JPG

On the back tables you can see some ChemDawg#4s and the big ones are Blueberry Headband and Headband. They've got some heavy lock out symptoms too. You can see the wilty crinkle leave with yellowing
IMG_2342.JPG

PATs (PurplexAgfooiexTrainwreck) showing a little wilt as they make the transition from greenhouse to CO2 enhanced metal halide
IMG_2344.JPG

Latest posts

Back