My first grow: ICE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty plants :). I grew Ice, WW and BB last winter (my 2nd grow). The Ice is my favorite (I may have harvested the WW a little too early, though). Warning - Ice is very sensitive to over-nuting :) mid to late flowering. Watch the leaf tips carefully and back off quickly if they start to yellow.

Okay, so what exactly is a ppm meter, and is it really necessary for a soil grow. Thanks smokey, I hope my pH meter arrives soon as well. 420, that's great to hear about the ICE strain, I'll definitely have to read up on cloning to give it a try with one of my plants. Do you clone after you determine the sex? Art, thanks for the advice. I will try not to over nute my plants when they are flowering. So far no nutes for them, only what's in the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil mix. Thanks everyone. I'll keep you updated.:D

All the plants are doing really well today, they look especailly happy and perky. Just took some pics of the inner nodes that are really starting to grow now, and one close up of the top of a plant. All I can do is :watchplant: :D .

DSC00841.JPG

DSC00851.JPG

DSC00852.JPG

DSC00853.JPG

DSC00854.JPG

Looking very green my friend...nice job....I hve not used my ppm meter yet because I kinda bought it for hydro grows which I am not doing yet. I believe it basically tells you the concentration of the nutes you mix up and will also gve you an idea on the water you are using to water as far as particles in the water...As soon as the weather cools down I will be doing a hydro grow with the Auto White Dwarfs....

ur ladies(hopefully) are looking great my friend, ill be sitting down takeing a peek @ this. keep rp the good work.

walkerluke said:
Okay, so what exactly is a ppm meter, and is it really necessary for a soil grow. Thanks smokey, I hope my pH meter arrives soon as well. 420, that's great to hear about the ICE strain, I'll definitely have to read up on cloning to give it a try with one of my plants. Do you clone after you determine the sex? Art, thanks for the advice. I will try not to over nute my plants when they are flowering. So far no nutes for them, only what's in the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil mix. Thanks everyone. I'll keep you updated.:D

A ppm meter is a meter used for a unit of measurement for the electric conductivity of your nute mixture. Measures the salts in your nute mixture.

I hardly use my ppm meter once I do a strain and know the plants limitation. I run DWC indoors. For me a ph meter us more useful. If you stick to half strength solution you should have no need for a ppm meter in soil. I have never used a ppm meter on my outdoor soil grow.

I wait till my seedling show their sex to clone, I see no reason to clone males.

Thanks Hamster, I'm trying my best here...hope they keep doing as well as they are now. Blunt, thanks for the good words, I'll keep posting pics as often as I can. Pcduck, thanks for clarifying what a ppm meter does. I don't think I will be getting one, I'll just stick to the half strenght nutes when I start feeding.

On another note, I keep reading about these spider mites and they kind of have me worried.:eek: I read on one of the stickeys that people recommend spraying while in veg even if you don't have anything. Is this a good idea? I try to keep everything clean, but I'm growing in my bedroom...I have two dogs as well that might track bugs inside...I don't know. If I should spray my plants with insecticide I will. Thanks everyone.

Only use a spray when you see that you have mites. Otherwise you may create a mite that is not affected by your spray when needed. Just keep the grow area clean and the dogs out of the closet if all possible. Good air flow also helps along with low temps and high humidity.

My (hopefully) ladies turned the big 3-0 today, and I bought them a HPS conversion bulb. I think they'll love it:D . On a more serious note, how long do people usually veg before going to 12/12? Here are some pics of them, still looking very happy in their FFOF soil without having recieved any nutes yet. I'm starting to be convinced that the way people mess their plants up is by doing too much with them. All I do is water them once a week and they are as happy as can be with no problems. Thanks to everyone in the forum who has helped.

DSC00857.JPG

DSC00858.JPG

DSC00859.JPG

DSC00862.JPG

DSC00863.JPG

walkerluke said:
On a more serious note, how long do people usually veg before going to 12/12?
That depends entirely on how much weed you want from your plants. You can put them into flower as soon as they're sexually mature, (about 6 weeks old), or wait until the plants are as large as you want them to be.

During flower, your plants will grow anywhere from 200% to 300% of their size when placed into flowering lighting.

You may want to think about upgrading the size of your containers. If your plants become root-bound, it can cause you problems. It looks like you have them in pretty small containers now.

The size of container depends also on how large you want to grow them. You don't want to have to keep transplanting them.

I finally got the mylar in the mail today, so I replaced all of the af and it looks much better...less noisy too with the fan. Got my pH meter too, and lowered the pH of my water to 6.5...which took three tries because apparently it takes only like four drops of pH down to take my 3 gallon water bucket from 7.1 to 6.5. I might be doing something wrong though, but I calibrated my digital meter with a 7.01 solution, and tried the regular tap water four times always getting a reading of around 7.5. Then I tried my first two attempts with a 1/4 teaspoon of pH down and the water was around 3.8! So eventually by diluting it I got it to 6.5. I didn't know it took that little of pH down. I guess I should also be looking at the run off water from my plants, but I was a little lazy and didn't do it...should I be doing that or is just adjusting the feeding water fine??? Anyway, everything looks good except for the lower two leaves of one plant (pic 1)...they look terrible as you can see, but the rest of the plant looks fine. Should I be worried?? What could it be? No nutes yet, FFOF soil, 33 days veg, water about once every 6 days. Thanks for following along everyone. I hope I don't kill my plants in my first grow!!! Still no sign of sex yet. Oh Stoney, my pots are 10" diameter and 12" heigh (pic 2). I can't go any bigger than that due to space, but I think they will be fine. Thanks.

DSC00877.JPG

DSC00869.JPG

DSC00874.JPG

DSC00871.JPG

DSC00872.JPG

DSC00875.JPG

Well, there is something coming out, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing since I never saw one before...a girl maybe...I'm getting excited!!:D

DSC00879.JPG

Hi everyone,
This was a sad day in my life becuase I cut down my perfectly healthy girls (I just found out too). I just don't have the time to do this right now, and since I am doing it in an apartment I am constantly paranoid that I will get caught (and no I'm not smoking anything to make me paranoid, I don't have the money to pay for it!!) I am a graduate student at a top university, and it would be just stupid of me to jeapordize that. One day when I have my own house I will definitely take this up again. I had such a great time, and I want to thank everyone on here who helped me. This is truely one of the best forums I have ever seen, and I hope everyone works on keeping the forum as pleasant and helpful as I have known it to be. So goodbye for now...hope to meet some of you on here again in the future. Take care and be safe.

DSC00897.JPG

Damn game over ! Peace and take care ! Good decision !

An admiral decision that many couldn't make.

And that means it was probably the right one.

Peace and good luck.

Hey walkerluke, the years fall away faster than anyone likes. One or two years before you have your first house and you can plan for a sweet grow space in your new home.

You're keeping things in perspective. That's a really good thing.

Peace dude. Work a couple extra little side jobs long enough to score some world class smoke.

You'll be growing your own soon enough.

Edit: I'll grow the ICE seeds I have and post a grow report for you. No reason you can't hang out here.

Looks good, ill be following this journal for sure. those are some healthy plants :D keep it up.... see ya

42Sm0kinCâli_or_MYOWN said:
Looks good, ill be following this journal for sure. those are some healthy plants :D keep it up.... see ya
Keep following ...This thread will make the record book ! Hahahaha ! Stay tuned !

Latest posts

Back