My first hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i have a 2 new sprouts that need to go into my bubbler setup.

I plan on using 3" pots then putting those pots into my 6" ones as a permanent home.

Question is : How far down in the pot should the rockwool go (should I put some hydroton underneath it or not?)

#2 how close should the water level be to the bottom of said pots.

1) Put a bit of hydroton to build it up to the level you need it. The rockwool is kind of irrelevant, it all has to do with how much of the stem you want to bury, you know? :AOK:

2) The water should just come to the bottom of the mesh pot (barely touch it, or not even at all), and there should be a LOT of bubbling! ;)

the rockwool must be covered with rocks not necessarily deep to the bottom. it makes no difference as long as water is getting to the roots. the hanging netpot is more tricky you need to have the lid and the water as perfectly leveled out as possible so that when you start off the water is just touching the bottom like 1/10" and bubbling until some roots emerge into the whater. then you lower the water gradually creating a space of air and mist. keep the roots half submerged and lower the level as you go. later you must have explosive root growth i have never seen except with dwc. the roots became so thick like a smsll carrot lol.

Well said zem :aok: Yeah, DWC creates ridiculous root masses.. it's kind of fun really :)

1) Put a bit of hydroton to build it up to the level you need it. The rockwool is kind of irrelevant, it all has to do with how much of the stem you want to bury, you know? :AOK:

2) The water should just come to the bottom of the mesh pot (barely touch it, or not even at all), and there should be a LOT of bubbling! ;)
i must be smoking some potent stuff imagining crazy thingsnlike me and DGG saying almost the same opinion lol

man you guys are awesome, thanks so much for the help!!!

hmm this seems right :aok: after you lightproof the pots dont see any setup problems :)

You guys use a preventative dose of peroxide?

If so how much per gallon?

I use H202... but I haven't had to use any in a long time, so it just sits on my shelf. I believe it kills beneficials, PJ mentioned. I think? I dunno... I just am trying to grow green stuff. :D

in your system if you change your res regularly there is no need to it.

Keep the light and heat out of your Rez,,and ya wont need H202.

Any reason your light is so high? I am thinking that you can get that a whole lot closer.

Also, are those white pots net pots? Can we get a shot of the white pots out of the tote? I think that I would be for putting some tape on the top of the tote where the white pot does not entirely fill the cut out space--you can see it in the last pic there. That will let light through and encourage algae grown, but is easily fixed with some opaque tape.

Your plants are looking good! I do love my hydro.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

THG: Those white pots are the one from the ebb and flow setup, they are not mesh pots like I am using for my new girls. I have already taped around both pot openings. If these were not autos I would try to transplant them into mesh pots.

I do keep the light lower....I just had it raised so I could work in there and not hit my forehead lol.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Active-Aqua-Square-White-Tall/dp/B005DPDJBY/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1431197552&sr=8-25&keywords=hydrofarm+pots[/ame]

these are the pots you are seeing in the pics. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have just grown the autos in dirt and called it a day.

Latest posts

Back