My first hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife makes a mean pasta sauce that would go great with that!!! Good lord.

I am sticking with hydro for sure, But i think the few autos i have remaining I will throw in dirt instead and put them in my veg tent.

well you can get coco soilless mix and use the same hydro ferts. that would be way easier

LOL--whether coco is easier is in the eye of the grower. I find coco very hard to work with and love my hydro.

LOL--whether coco is easier is in the eye of the grower. I find coco very hard to work with and love my hydro.

lol yeah i find coco hard too but if you just want to slow grow a plant vegging under a fluro it becomes easier than having to get soil and soil ferts then transferbto hydro. i tried having moms in soil and flower in hydro thinking that it was easier when it was really not.

anyone have trouble with northern lights? I mean this is the 4th nirvana NL auto I have grown, and they all have been spindly and sick looking.

Ive tried upping nutes and dropping nutes. example.....ill send pics in a minute....but It will be very obvious which is the NL. The other is nirvanas bubblicious auto which I have gotten very good results from.

I think it may just be a bad strain?

Right now NL at 1580 ppm (700 scale) 5.6PH
bubblicious at 1280ppm (700 scale) 5.7 PH

both rez's at 70*F room temp at 71*

NL is generally a pretty good producer. I am guessing that it is not he NL, but the ruderalis and the NL together--maybe just does not do as well as an auto. Your other post said that you run a 400 MH--do you run MH all the way through? I would change to HPS after a few weeks.

NL is generally a pretty good producer. I am guessing that it is not he NL, but the ruderalis and the NL together--maybe just does not do as well as an auto. Your other post said that you run a 400 MH--do you run MH all the way through? I would change to HPS after a few weeks.

I switch to HPS once they gets about 2'-3' from my height limit. Which usually only takes 4-5 weeks.

Weird thing is though, I grow them side by side....so Im not sure light is the issue.

i would say change out the res put it at 900 ppm. 1580 is wsy too high especially you have no hps yet

Hey there budz,

I've been reading through your thread looks like your off to a good start. The ph drift does seem a bit odd, its going up way too quick, and there isn't much change in your ppms.

How long do you let your nutes sit for before you add them to your res? - Sometimes it takes awhile for everything to stabilize.

What type of water are you using? There could be some buffers in your water that are raising your ph. I believe city people like higher ph running through their water pipes, so they add some goodies to it to keep it in the 7-8's. Can't remember off the top of my head.. why they do it, and names of the stuff they add.

Most autoflowers like 1/2 the nutes compared to regular MJ strains. If your having problems I would suggest trying the less is more technique and see if that helps.

i would say change out the res put it at 900 ppm. 1580 is wsy too high especially you have no hps yet

I did just that and it is looking much better...ill post pics tomorrow. I think it is a very hungry plant and goes through the o2 and nutes quicker maybe?

Hey there budz,

I've been reading through your thread looks like your off to a good start. The ph drift does seem a bit odd, its going up way too quick, and there isn't much change in your ppms.

How long do you let your nutes sit for before you add them to your res? - Sometimes it takes awhile for everything to stabilize.

What type of water are you using? There could be some buffers in your water that are raising your ph. I believe city people like higher ph running through their water pipes, so they add some goodies to it to keep it in the 7-8's. Can't remember off the top of my head.. why they do it, and names of the stuff they add.

Most autoflowers like 1/2 the nutes compared to regular MJ strains. If your having problems I would suggest trying the less is more technique and see if that helps.

I mix the rez up as a whole, 10 gallons of water, nute until ppm's are where I need them. Then PH as needed. Should I not do it that way? Seems the simplest way.

I use city tap water that I have in 5g buckets with an airstone in each. I usually let them sit for 2-3 days before using them. PH out of tap is 7.3-7.8 usually.

I tried nute levels all the way from 1/4-full strength....the bubblicious responds as you would think it would...the NL doesnt seem to care lol. That is why it had more ppm than my other rez.

I mix the rez up as a whole, 10 gallons of water, nute until ppm's are where I need them. Then PH as needed. Should I not do it that way? Seems the simplest way.

Hey budz,

That is the easiest, and for sure correct way to mix up your nutes. I was suggesting that after you had your nutes added, and ph'd to where you wanted it, to then let it sit for 24hours and then check the ph. See if the ph is rising on its own (what I was referring to as stabilizing)

"PH was 5.5 to start 1200 ppm, today it was 6.6ph and 1200 ppm "

It's possible that your nutes are still reacting to the buffers in your tap water, over a few hour time period, which is causing the ph to drift for a short period of time. So mix it up, ph it, let it chill for a bit, check it again and see whats up. Unless it was from too much superthrive

Hey budz,

That is the easiest, and for sure correct way to mix up your nutes. I was suggesting that after you had your nutes added, and ph'd to where you wanted it, to then let it sit for 24hours and then check the ph. See if the ph is rising on its own (what I was referring to as stabilizing)

"PH was 5.5 to start 1200 ppm, today it was 6.6ph and 1200 ppm "

It's possible that your nutes are still reacting to the buffers in your tap water, over a few hour time period, which is causing the ph to drift for a short period of time. So mix it up, ph it, let it chill for a bit, check it again and see whats up. Unless it was from too much superthrive

Ahhh, I got you, makes total sense now. I really need to get that 120v water pump...transfering 10g of water sucks by hand.....the drill pump is too slow to deal with.

Yeah I did add way too much superthrive a few weeks ago....I have dialed that back immensely. I am using for 10g of water 5ml (bottle calls for 1/4tsp per gallon....so I am way under what they recommend.)

Ahhh, I got you, makes total sense now. I really need to get that 120v water pump...transfering 10g of water sucks by hand.....the drill pump is too slow to deal with.

Yeah I did add way too much superthrive a few weeks ago....I have dialed that back immensely. I am using for 10g of water 5ml (bottle calls for 1/4tsp per gallon....so I am way under what they recommend.)

I was complainig about watering my plants.. and I went the simple route. I just raise the 5gal buckets, and siphon the water out. Gravity pumps her out quite quickly.

I was complainig about watering my plants.. and I went the simple route. I just raise the 5gal buckets, and siphon the water out. Gravity pumps her out quite quickly.

Sure 5g =42lb most come with a handle

10g = 83lb, with a very inconvenient way to lift them sucks lol.

I may later on switch to 5g buckets instead of these large totes....only reason being convenience.

I hear ya buddy.. I used 1 large tote for awhile as well, and yes 10gal or 40liters is not fun to move around.

Its kinda fun using multiple buckets, you can see how accurate you measured by how close the ppm's are in each bucket. I switched to 5gal buckets and i'm liking it.

Actually, those plants are about the same size--one is just stretched and the other is not. Count how many branch sets each plant has--I am betting that it is the same. Stretch is not growth. Growth is adding branches (ie bud sites). Stretching is....well...stretching, unproductive "growth". And you cannot expect different strains to grow the same. This is one of the reasons that a lot of new growers only grow 1 strain while they are learning. I do not think, from the pics, that one plant is running away from the other. In other words, I think this is a non-issue.

Actually, those plants are about the same size--one is just stretched and the other is not. Count how many branch sets each plant has--I am betting that it is the same. Stretch is not growth. Growth is adding branches (ie bud sites). Stretching is....well...stretching, unproductive "growth". And you cannot expect different strains to grow the same. This is one of the reasons that a lot of new growers only grow 1 strain while they are learning. I do not think, from the pics, that one plant is running away from the other. In other words, I think this is a non-issue.

I hear ya, I cant wait until my reg seeds are ready for vegging...growing lemon kush fems on deck. I will be sticking to that strain only until I get the hang of things...like I said...I just wanted to grow these last autos I had to get rid of them.

Latest posts

Back