NEED HELP! I think my sprouts maybe upside-down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InuYasha

Reaction score
I'm trying to start some seeds in rockwool and I think I may have put the seeds upside down! I used the paper towel method to get a root tip (about 1/2) and then placed them root-tip-down into some rockwool cubes yesterday. I know the seeds are supposed to turn once or twice, but I can't seems to get the straight dope on which end should be up.

Some of the seeds look alright, but others seem to be taking a turn back towards the rockwool.

Should I removed the sprouts and reposistion? Should I let the seeds do their thing? I'm pretty lost here.:confused:

Also, when should I turn my lights on? I was going to wait until the seed leaves appear to kick on my 600W MH (posistioned about 4' over the tray).

Here are some pics of my tray if anyone has any ideas.

Seed Tray 1.JPG

seed 4.JPG

Seed 3.JPG

Seed Tray 2.JPG

get that light in there, man!... they need the light to finish even "forming" into a sprout... I put my seeds directly in soil and put them under the 400W to pop... they will reach out for the DIRECT light... ya know... the artificial "sun" up overhead?....

They don't look upside down to me. Just looks like you didn't plant them deep enough. I always plant root tip up. The root will grow out then down and it will help pull the shell off before your seedling leaves the medium.

Get some low wattage CFL's in there and put them like 1 foot away.

If that dosent make a damn plant stretch then what will?!?! :rofl:

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure how soon to give them light, I was afraid of frying them. I only have a 600 HPS in my 2x4 tent, and the damned MH conversion bulb and reflector cooling fans won't come in until tomorrow.

I went out tonight after reading the advice and got two cheap clamp lights and two 1600 lumen 6500K energy smart bulbs from Wal-Mart. I hope they will hold the sprouts over until I can kick on the HPS (hopefully tomorrow). Does anyone think that a 600W MH Conversion lamp is too much light at this point?

PB040063.JPG

PB040064.JPG

PB040065.JPG

PB040066.JPG

PB040067.JPG

PB040068.JPG

I don't. Just don't put it too close to those lil ones. Maybe someone with a 600w can give you an idea on the distance.

Thanks for the advice. I will throw on the 600W HID tomorrow (at 26" above the seedlings).

Does anyone have an suggestions on when I should place the cubes into the rainforest aeroponic planters? Should I wait until the seedlings have some real leaves first?

Also, what is an acceptable PPM range for water to use for my plants? I'm using distilled water (0ppm) right now to sprout. The tap water here is about 330 PPM.

Do wait, but not too long. Wait untill you see about the 2nd set of leaves, 3rd counting the round cotyledon leaves.

Latest posts

Back