new start, bubble bucket/first grow,PICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't it now take longer for the root system to reach the res being in an extra larger cube it now has to grow through?

Shockeclipse said:
Won't it now take longer for the root system to reach the res being in an extra larger cube it now has to grow through?
yeah, acually my net pot has 2" of hydroton..then i placed small cube in the 3" cube, almost to the bottom of the larger cube. i had to cut a little rockwool out of the center. then placed cube on top of hydroton, then added more. i have my res level just beneath the 3" cube. i top watered when i got home, will do again tonight. does not see like much growth from yesterday, although the roots have not hit the res water yet.

loolagigi said:
yeah, acually my net pot has 2" of hydroton..then i placed small cube in the 3" cube, almost to the bottom of the larger cube. i had to cut a little rockwool out of the center. then placed cube on top of hydroton, then added more. i have my res level just beneath the 3" cube. i top watered when i got home, will do again tonight. does not see like much growth from yesterday, although the roots have not hit the res water yet.
I think you are going to have to top water until your roots do hit the solution, you have more rockwool that the roots have to work through and hydroton blocking some of/if not all of the splash up from your air bubbles, withat that big of a cube now I would have definately NOT put hydroton on the bottom. Good luck.

Shockeclipse said:
I think you are going to have to top water until your roots do hit the solution, you have more rockwool that the roots have to work through and hydroton blocking some of/if not all of the splash up from your air bubbles, withat that big of a cube now I would have definately NOT put hydroton on the bottom. Good luck.
i can take it out and put cube at the bottom. should i? shouldnt bother anything considering the roota arent through.

man loolagigi, i wish i would have gotten a hold of ya before you went dwc, all the issues you are having with simply getting the rooted plant into the pot and ensuring a safe root zone could have been prevented if you went ebb&flow. I mean, once you get it down, dwc wouldnt be any harder or easier, but im saying bro, in a week, my ph has been stable, ive only topped off once and the whole system is so low maintenance that my wife is actually happy im around more, lol.

you will get it man, i just wish i could help ya. But, if you want some advice, then here ya go.

As far as waiting for roots to show through the bottom???? i dont think that will make or break you, especially from seed.

I would fill the net pot with hydroton, all the way to the top. Then, take a seedling and bury it in the hydroton so you preferably dont see the cube.

Start the dwc bucket about an inch above the bottom of the net pot.

Voila!

This is how i would do it in your situation.

Ive been growing a year, but so far im a 100% for germination, rooting clones, and seeing my grows to the finish.

I havent been unsuccessful since i started, so take it or leave it, i did my homework and i just would like to see your success.

also, imvho

rockwool is great in all for seedlings or rooting clones, but otherwise unstable for growing in.

It retains far more water than hydroton (hydroton is much better for aeration) and has a very high ph of about 8.1 i believe.

You wouldnt want to water rockwool nearly as much as hydroton. If a plants rootball is contained in a 6x6 rockwool cube for example, you most likely would only water once a day.

I guess it doesnt really matter in rockwool with dwc, but for max uptake, other than fogponics, i believe ebb&flow is the most effective.

hope that helps

heres the pics of changing the base of the cube to the bottom of net.....the water level is even with the pot.......hydroton is not easy to manipulate.....pictures will be added in 5 minutes......

bucket 032.jpg

bucket 033.jpg

bucket 034.jpg

bucket 035.jpg

bucket 036.jpg

I have placed my rockwool cube on the bottom, I have placed it midway into my net pot. Did not make a difference once the roots reached the rez. The time difference in the roots hitting the rez was only I think 24 hours.The roots will search and find water all by themselves, you may have to raise your water level just a bit thats all. I sorta like the 3" cube b/c it stabilizes it more when the plant is small. With DWC you are feeding the plant 24/7 how can anything be faster? People make dwc hard, not the system.

JBonez said:
man loolagigi, i wish i would have gotten a hold of ya before you went dwc, all the issues you are having with simply getting the rooted plant into the pot and ensuring a safe root zone could have been prevented if you went ebb&flow. I mean, once you get it down, dwc wouldnt be any harder or easier, but im saying bro, in a week, my ph has been stable, ive only topped off once and the whole system is so low maintenance that my wife is actually happy im around more, lol.

you will get it man, i just wish i could help ya. But, if you want some advice, then here ya go.

As far as waiting for roots to show through the bottom???? i dont think that will make or break you, especially from seed.

I would fill the net pot with hydroton, all the way to the top. Then, take a seedling and bury it in the hydroton so you preferably dont see the cube.

Start the dwc bucket about an inch above the bottom of the net pot.

Voila!

This is how i would do it in your situation.

Ive been growing a year, but so far im a 100% for germination, rooting clones, and seeing my grows to the finish.

I havent been unsuccessful since i started, so take it or leave it, i did my homework and i just would like to see your success.
my net pot size is very big, if i put cube on top, just under hydroton, it would have about 8" of hydroton to get through. and i dont want to keep that much water in that bucket. it would be like 4.5 gallons of water out of 5.

pcduck said:
I have placed my rockwool cube on the bottom, I have placed it midway into my net pot. Did not make a difference once the roots reached the rez. The time difference in the roots hitting the rez was only I think 24 hours.The roots will search and find water all by themselves, you may have to raise your water level just a bit thats all. I sorta like the 3" cube b/c it stabilizes it more when the plant is small. With DWC you are feeding the plant 24/7 how can anything be faster? People make dwc hard, not the system.
i am using the 3" cube. :D , but now it is in the bottom of that deep pot. i like it, its less water in the bucket. it will either grow, or perish, i am trying my damndest to keep "her" alive. time will tell................i notices mt first real set of leaves are nice and green,, but are saggy, not pointed up!:eek:

loolagigi said:
my net pot size is very big, if i put cube on top, just under hydroton, it would have about 8" of hydroton to get through. and i dont want to keep that much water in that bucket. it would be like 4.5 gallons of water out of 5.

yeah, good point, i pictured it with the 6" net pot lids, i bought a bunch of them and put together a dwc system, but i never did anything with it.

why so big? a smaller net pot lid would allow you to keep a little bit more water right?

pc, can you help with this, i never tried it :confused:

JBonez said:
yeah, good point, i pictured it with the 6" net pot lids, i bought a bunch of them and put together a dwc system, but i never did anything with it.

why so big? a smaller net pot lid would allow you to keep a little bit more water right?

pc, can you help with this, i never tried it :confused:
origionally i had baught a top for my bucket, and was ganna drop a 6" pot in that, but when i went to the hydro store, i told the guy i needed a net pot for a dwc bubbleponics bucket, and he handed me the one that acually goes over the mouth of the bucket. then i asked if he had the smaller ones, and he did, but for some reason stayed with the bigger 1. my hydro store guy is a pain in my ***, crappy customer service. but i have you guys.:D

pcduck said:

hey pcduck, I guess, from lack of experience i spoke prematurely.

I guess i feel like ebb&flow provides the best aeration, and i also believe that the plants also are fed 12hrs a day as i flood the table enough to keep em moist, but regardless, the root zone is a damp and moist safe haven for roots to thrive, Ive seen rootballs in dwc, beautiful monstrous white roots that looked very happy and healthy. But i see dwc, which is a self contained unit, so if you want a couple pounds, then you have multiple res chores to tend to. Not to mention sog is out the window, unless you do like six to a rubbermaid container, of course, a 4x4 res could be made into a big res for multiple plants.

otherwise, i only spend a few minutes a day in the growroom, and that is for inspecting the plants, taking a res ph reading and peace out.

Ive planned a dwc system, and found it to be obsolete in my eys compared to the easy of ebb&flow, plus, its kinda idiot proof, so i said why not!

right now i can see my plants are stressed, so i lowered the ppm and they are a bit more perky. took about 10 minutes. With a multiple res setup, thats a lot of "adjusting" and it doesnt seem practical imho.

thanks

loolagigi said:
origionally i had baught a top for my bucket, and was ganna drop a 6" pot in that, but when i went to the hydro store, i told the guy i needed a net pot for a dwc bubbleponics bucket, and he handed me the one that acually goes over the mouth of the bucket. then i asked if he had the smaller ones, and he did, but for some reason stayed with the bigger 1. my hydro store guy is a pain in my ***, crappy customer service. but i have you guys.:D

im fortunate, my hydro guy is not only a cool guy, but very knowledgeable and is part of my success in a way, so yeah.

I would have went with the smaller ones, but your gonna be fine with that, heck, i would have went with 4" if they make them.

i may consider dwc for a mother plant or two, that would be a good time to use it, downside to ebb and flow is that in veg, its a little harder to keep plants that are different ages.

I have a 2x2 flood table as well, for veg, but im just gonna use it to sprout some seeds for future cuttings and selecting. When i know which plants are the best, ill keep the best for mothers.

Jbonez, your description of e & F is quickly converting me. it seems that this system would be better for a prepetual harvest, only ONE res and no Temp issues.

good info

Loolagigi, good luck on your dwc grow and remember that once the roots are through the net pot and in the nutes keep the res level about 2" below the net pots.

you may need to change the ice packs a few times a day to keep the res temps below 70 F, in ebb & flow the res temp isnt as critical. not having to keep res cool = less work.

Super Silver Haze said:
Jbonez, your description of e & F is quickly converting me. it seems that this system would be better for a prepetual harvest, only ONE res and no Temp issues.

good info

Loolagigi, good luck on your dwc grow and remember that once the roots are through the net pot and in the nutes keep the res level about 2" below the net pots.

you may need to change the ice packs a few times a day to keep the res temps below 70 F, in ebb & flow the res temp isnt as critical. not having to keep res cool = less work.
i understand hydro is diff from soil, but i have always read then when watering your soil, make sure its room temp, because cold water is bad for roots. now with dwc, i need ice packs. not sure why?

JBonez said:
hey pcduck, I guess, from lack of experience i spoke prematurely.

I guess i feel like ebb&flow provides the best aeration, and i also believe that the plants also are fed 12hrs a day as i flood the table enough to keep em moist, but regardless, the root zone is a damp and moist safe haven for roots to thrive, Ive seen rootballs in dwc, beautiful monstrous white roots that looked very happy and healthy. But i see dwc, which is a self contained unit, so if you want a couple pounds, then you have multiple res chores to tend to. Not to mention sog is out the window, unless you do like six to a rubbermaid container, of course, a 4x4 res could be made into a big res for multiple plants.

otherwise, i only spend a few minutes a day in the growroom, and that is for inspecting the plants, taking a res ph reading and peace out.

Ive planned a dwc system, and found it to be obsolete in my eys compared to the easy of ebb&flow, plus, its kinda idiot proof, so i said why not!

right now i can see my plants are stressed, so i lowered the ppm and they are a bit more perky. took about 10 minutes. With a multiple res setup, thats a lot of "adjusting" and it doesnt seem practical imho.

thanks

Hey JB I guess it is just how hard you make the system. I am like you, not much to do in the grow room but watch them grow. Nute, ph, and change out the buckets once a week. During the final few weeks add ph adjusted water about every other day. The thing about the buckets is that you can have individual feeding programs,for each strain, which is why I guess that I like it over a e-f, but that is just me:D

loolagigi said:
i understand hydro is diff from soil, but i have always read then when watering your soil, make sure its room temp, because cold water is bad for roots. now with dwc, i need ice packs. not sure why?

Plants grow best when the rez temp is 68F, if you were to put cold water in the rez you would have the same result(shock)

pcduck said:
Plants grow best when the rez temp is 68F, if you were to put cold water in the rez you would have the same result(shock)
so ice packs would be overkill?:confused: i live in fl, so heat is an issue in the summer.

loolagigi said:

the cooler the res, the more dissolved oxygen the solution will hold, this is paramount for dwc as the rootball sits in, well, water, lol.

Another downside to dwc.

My res can get up to 83 degrees, and the plants really dont care, they eat it up! But they also get max air to the roots, so the solution doesnt have to be that aerated, i still use a couple air stones tho.

Latest posts

Back