New to hydro, couple questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smotpoker

Reaction score
So I just got my SH Bubbleponics system fired up on the 21st, things are still running fine as far as mechanics go but I've run into a few problems.

Two days ago I checked everything, all systems were go, water was clear, pH was good. I added my nutes (1/2 strength as I am just getting started) and today, two days late I come home to find my pH to be 8.0 and the water is looking murky. There is also a bit of a smell, not sure if it's from the water down in the tub or the warm mist from the bubbles.

I just dropped the pH again but should I be checking and adjusting it AFTER I add the nutes? In other words, are the nutes changing the pH in the water or do I have other problems? Is the water having turned murky an issue or is this normal? Do I need to change the water already?

I have just one seed in Rockwool right now, it's popped but I have no sprout yet, I'm assuming I am a couple days away from that... Any and all help is appreciated.

Smotpoker, im also new to growing so im not sure how much help ill be but here goes.

what brand of nutrients are you using.
are you using tap/ro or distilled water.
im not familiar w/bubbleponics but what is the temp in your res. i run a DWC and im shooting for my res temps to be no more than 68 F.
do you have a big enough air pump.

my nutes change the ph of the water but im sure someone with more expierence will chime in.

when you change your PH in your nute res. do it slow, in 0.1 point per day.

read through the stickeys in the sick plant area.

smotpoker said:
So I just got my SH Bubbleponics system fired up on the 21st, things are still running fine as far as mechanics go but I've run into a few problems.

Two days ago I checked everything, all systems were go, water was clear, pH was good. I added my nutes (1/2 strength as I am just getting started) and today, two days late I come home to find my pH to be 8.0 and the water is looking murky. There is also a bit of a smell, not sure if it's from the water down in the tub or the warm mist from the bubbles.

I just dropped the pH again but should I be checking and adjusting it AFTER I add the nutes? In other words, are the nutes changing the pH in the water or do I have other problems? Is the water having turned murky an issue or is this normal? Do I need to change the water already?

I have just one seed in Rockwool right now, it's popped but I have no sprout yet, I'm assuming I am a couple days away from that... Any and all help is appreciated.

Your plants are not going to need any nutes for 2-3 weeks. And when you do start nutes, start them at about 1/4 strength and work up. You can kill plants in a matter of hours in a hydro system with too many nutes, especially babies. Yes, nutes change the pH of your water, but it generally brings the pH down. When you get to where you need nutes, you should add your nutes first and then pH your water. And as SSH said, you need to change the pH slowly.

Your water should not be murky. We change the water in the res to give the plants new nute solution, not because the water gets murky--it should never get murky.

In addition to the questions that SSH has asked--What are you using for pH down? What is your PPM? How are you testing your pH?

Stealth Hydro included nutrients and pH up and down, I've been testing the pH with pH strips. The air pump is getting the water bubbling pretty good so I am guessing it is sufficient. Res temps are right around 68, I used tap water but I think I will go with distilled on a refill.

Just switched it all over to nute free distilled water. Are there any tricks to ensuring the res. temp stays nice and low?

You really need a digital pH meter. IMO, the strips of paper are not nearly accurate enough for hydro. You need to keep you pH between about 5.5 and 6.0--that is almost impossible to read with strips. Also, if your nutes have any color at all to them, you won't really have a clue what your pH is. If you do not have one, you are also going to need an EC meter to check the PPMs of the nutes in your water.

If your res temps are 68, that is actually a little low--are you sure your thermometer is correct? What are the temps in your room?

smotpoker said:

I find that pH goes up a bunch during veg, most likely from pulling the good nutes out and leaving salts behind. I'm not a fan of too warm of a temp for water during the hotter months just so bad bacteria doesn't grow. In the winter I do use a heater though caus e my air temps tend to be a bit lower. Keep your eye on pH as best uptake of nutes is at 5.5 in hydro...Good luck :p
PS Hemp G is right, get a digital pH meter...

Aquarium ph meters which stay in solution all the time are great. Re-calibrate each grow and you should be set.

My res temps are at a constant 67 f and I havn't had any problems as far as temp concerns in my dwc. I keep my ph from 5.6-6.1, which I could swear I was told that 5.8 is optimal. I had problems when I first started with my ph constantly jumping around. I got a 31gal tote, a small 10-30gal air pump and a few stones and I built a stand And put a tap on it all for like thirty bucks. I add my distilled water add nutes ph adjust and let it aerate and mix up good for a few days prior to changing out my res's. I adjust ph at the end as well but this has helped me stabilize my ph problems and it saves me so much time and trouble changing out buckets.

Latest posts

Back