New to the forums!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk_michael

Reaction score
Hello from Nor Cal !! interested ina grow room or making my own box so I am jumping on a forum. Was looking at bc northern lights boxes and thought perhaps I could do better myself.

Welcome to MP... maybe you should look into a tent setup? how large are you looking to go? :48:

Do some research on what you want do do..Space, Air flow , lighting , hydro,soil,soilless mediums... Hind site is a beach with this... So its good to have a plan and an idea of what you want.. I spent 1500$ on my first system.. Looking back on it i could have gotten the same for around 650$...Good luck.. Just remember the K.I.S.S method......Keep It Simple Stupid.....

Complete Cycle Grows.
Ability to use a Bedroom. 100-144 square feet total.
Roughly 2-3k $$ but would expect timers and semi automation.

I have NO experience growing. I am disabled and have lots of time to devote to it. Interested in ORGANIC grows. Leaning towards hydroponics. Verry uninformed decision though. Keeping it open.

I think large clones and no Veg is intersting also.
If I have to spend extra on A/C I will.

want A/C reflectors.

Im running a 5'x7' with 2 600w hps , 2-6" fans with filters..In veg im running a 4x4 tent with a 250mh and a 4 bulb t5 .. My set up ran me about 2500 for all.. But its not enough for a whole bedroom... Heat is your biggest enemy So make sure you run proper ventilation.. Hydro is alot of work but really pays off IF dialed in... Soil is much more forgiving.. Try looking into a good Amended Soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Roots organic soil.. Then I would look into a 1-2 part nuet..Old timer grow and bloom are really good and are organic...For your first grow I would go with soil as hydro is really involved.... When you purchase your equipment go with the name brand as they have 5+ year warrenties....

Welcome to MP...live links off site are not allowed. Please edit your post and make the link hXXp instead of hTTp. Tent grower here. Checkout our Tent Grower Thread in the Indoor Section.

Yeah i was looking at that one awhile back..lol Hydro is not something you want to dive into.. Only because its not user friendly.. If you make a mistake , the damage is done in only a few hours instead of a few days.. I have done all three major grow types.. Soil, hydro, soilless.. (coco).. And as far as ease .. Coco all the way..I used canna coco A&B and got hydro type yeilds... Two part mix very easy, not too inexpensive.. Im not trying to push you away from hydro, just keep in mind that takes ALOT of tinkering and $ to get it right.. Also quick mention.. An areoponic unit works best with short stocky plants or flowering from seed to control height. Hydro gets big and out of control very quickly..
hope this helps.. if you have any questions feel free to ask..

So far Im thinking aeroflow 60 with 2 A/c reflecters 600watt hps with lumitech digital ballasts. What hoods would go good with this.

Are you going to run them side by side or in line? Blockbuster hoods throw a perfect 4'x4' area of light.. The xxl magnums are huge but throw a light foot print of 5x6....So its all gonna be how you want your set up...Hydro farm makes dual cool tubes that are 48" and 60" long .. I am thinking of getting one so i can run both of my 600's in my tent.... Just remember To map out your area before you put it all together....lol

mk_michael said:
So far Im thinking aeroflow 60 with 2 A/c reflecters 600watt hps with lumitech digital ballasts. What hoods would go good with this.

I run hydro and love it, but I am also going to caution against hydro just out of the gate, especially that particular system and on a large scale. I am not really crazy about the Aero systems like you linked--they pot spacing is far too close, there is very little room for the roots and they tend to grow around the mist heads, causing problems. You also cannot raise and lower plants to maintain an even canopy. Reservoirs with water pumps in them get hot. If you want to do hydro, I would recommend looking at DWC systems, the easiest hydro there is.

Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft, so you need to know the size space you are going to use before you purchase your lighting. For vegging you want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft in the 6500K range, for flowering, you want 5000 lumens in the 3000K range. A 600W HPS puts out about 90,000 lumens per sq ft, so is good for a max area of about 36 sq ft. So, don't get a hood that is larger than the area the light will cover.

Ventilation is another really important thing to consider, almost as important as your lighting.

You also need to consider how much you want to grow and what kind of high you are looking for. There are tons of different strains that have different effects, from sativas that are uplifting and make you want to get up and do stuff to indicas that will keep you stuck to the couch....and everything in between.

Tell us what your expectations are, what you want to achieve with your grow and we can help you get there.

Latest posts

Back